The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

oil filter adapter / relocation 392 hemi ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> The Exhaust Pipe - Modification & PerformanceMessage format

51coronet
Posted 2015-11-10 7:05 PM (#494837)
Subject: oil filter adapter / relocation 392 hemi ?

Extreme Veteran

I just pulled the filter off my 1958 imperial and wow what a mess it is getting to that thing. I want to put a filter relocation kit and use spin on filters so this is a 2 step process.

My question is how does the stock oil canister holder come off the engine block? I cant see from the bottom side or top side how it mounts to the block nor can I feel hardware that holds it in place.

Once that is removed I would put the spin on adapter in its place (several styles available from hot heads and other vendors) then run remote lines from there to a much easier and cleaner place to do oil changes.

I want to keep this car as close to stock ( 1 of the 501 lebarons built) as I can but this has to change since it will be a driver plus its a reversible mod.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mopar1
Posted 2015-11-10 10:44 PM (#494860 - in reply to #494837)
Subject: Re: oil filter adapter / relocation 392 hemi ?

Expert

There's 4 bolts in the corners that hold it on. While it would cut down on the mess only a little, the Hot Heads OEM up angle adaptor allows use of spin on filter, and if you used a K&N filter (they have a nut looking feature on the end) that is painted block color people might not notice its been changed. With the remote set up I worry about line failure, kinks, or some other problems happening.
wayfarer
Posted 2015-11-11 12:49 PM (#494909 - in reply to #494837)

Elite Veteran

The beauty of a remote filter is that you can put the filter where it is convenient to get to, but don't use more than 4'0 of hose as the head loss will be noticed.
As to line failure, that is simply a function of poor quality hose material. I only use and recommend Aeroquip FC332-6 and the Aeroquip socketless fittings.
51coronet
Posted 2015-11-11 12:51 PM (#494910 - in reply to #494860)

Extreme Veteran

thanks. It will cut down on the mess a lot and make changing the filter a much easier task. The spin on is going to be mounted vertical on the outside frame rail under the front side of the passenger door. There is space there and the filter wont hang below the frame.

The main thing to be cautious of is the lines getting worn through due to vibration. Properly supporting and running the lines as well as protecting them where it needs it will prevent mishaps.

I will take a picture or 2 once its completed.

side note. the way the oil filter is set on this car is pretty bad for those who don't know. There are things directly in the way of the filter making it very messy and difficult to change. Torsion bar, exhaust pipe, frame rail, exhaust header (if you thought you were going to access it from the top side), steering linkage plus the fact it is angled up just enough to not let all the oil drain back into the pan. This is great since once the seal is broken the remaining oil will land all over your arm as well as the exhaust pipe. Obviously the designer never did an oil change so these concerns were that of a blue collar individual to deal with.

Easily maintaining a vehicle does not seem to be a priority to manufacturers then or now. It's a shame since there are people out there who see a maintainable vehicle as a selling point. Bought my first European vehicle a few years ago, a VW jetta diesel. There is no dipstick to check the trans fluid level, it requires some super special oil that most auto parts store do not carry, forget about getting regular service parts from the local auto parts store such as filters. I wont be going the European route again once this car dies. If you value having regular service parts available then go the USA or Japanese route. Anyway END tangent (rant). Like I said I will post a picture once this is completed.

Edited by 51coronet 2015-11-11 1:13 PM
Mopar1
Posted 2015-11-11 5:30 PM (#494924 - in reply to #494910)

Expert

Other cars have sealed trannys now....
wayfarer
Posted 2015-11-12 11:10 AM (#494978 - in reply to #494924)

Elite Veteran

Mopar1 - 2015-11-11 2:30 PM

Other cars have sealed trannys now....

It is a growing movement...my wife's 08 Navigator is a sealed unit...
What this really does is force the average Joe to take the vehicle to a service shop for a simple fluid change.
$250 on the last shop ticket.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)