The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

a family apology
Moderators: Bart_59_Dodge

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Announcements -> Family in FinsMessage format
Posted 2016-06-24 11:10 PM (#515025)
Subject: a family apology

some of you may have noticed my recent return.  some may have wondered where i've been, and particularly why i was absent from the "upper board".  though i have declined to comment on the reasons for some time, i suppose now is as good a time as any.

i know many of you remember the great fun we had at tulsarama back in 2007.  it was a great time, and a real high water mark for the board.  participation surged, and this place became busier than ever.  the forwardlook family was always truly that, a family.  we first showed our rallying spirit over joe vicenzi, which proved to be a fraud.  nonetheless, the family in fins forum became a solid fixture here.  however, like any family, it began to have it's share of dysfunction.

not even 2 years after tulsa, i made the difficult decision to take a job offer and close down my practice.  the benefits were simply too great, given the uncertainties of life as i was approaching the age of 50.  how right i turned out to be.  to make a long story short, between september of 2010 and august of 2013, i buried 8 family members and friends.  when my brother was diagnosed with cancer, i chose not to post it here.  i discussed it privately with uncle walt, and he completely understood my decision.  sadly, that was not the end of the losses and grieving.  i will not comment further as to that.  

suffice it to say, we all deal with our challenges in our own way.  i continued to do the best i could at moderating while not wanting sympathy or to spend additional time dwelling on very unpleasant subjects.  on balance, i have done what was best for me, and think i have handled things as well as i could.  on the other hand, the dysfunctionality over truly trivial matters can lead someone to find their limits, and i was no exception.

i realize this may come as a surprise to those of you who know me well, as i tend to be a very gregarious and indeed open person.  however, i greatly dislike manipulative people and never wanted my duties as a mod to be clouded with personal issues i was dealing with.  when the demands on my time became too great, i did what i had to do.  now, i am back because i have always greatly enjoyed it here.  while life has dealt me some incredible gut-punches dating back to childhood, it has also shown me incredibly good fortune.  i decided as a child that i would never define myself as a victim.

please do not misunderstand this post.  it is not about sympathy, venting, or excuses.  i have been out of touch, and deliberately avoiding the one area where we hopefully would truly come together.  it's not because i didn't care, but rather that i needed privacy.  while i am stunned to learn about neil's passing, and will likely learn many other things i should have known about, i can't make things better so long after the fact.  suffice it to say, i have had my own selfish reasons, and felt that some explanation was in order.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Posted 2016-06-25 7:43 AM (#515052 - in reply to #515025)
Subject: Re: a family apology

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Tulsa was awesome for the Forwardlook family to to finally meet each other and have a few Beers. And finally put a face from behind the keyboard..

Everyone has their own ways with dealings of life Dave, Some need to express it whilst others take a step away to deal with things privately .. what ever way you chose is your decision and doesnt need be scrutinised ..

Glad to have you back posting mate...

Posted 2016-06-25 9:46 AM (#515064 - in reply to #515025)
Subject: Re: a family apology

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Whish I had been at Tulsa - seems like it was a lot of fun.

For me you were never really gone Dave - I missed your posts but I was convinced that you would start posting again.

Good to have you here again my friend!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)