The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

56 dodge body mounts
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Announcements -> Frequently Asked QuestionsMessage format

rcairney
Posted 2016-07-24 12:13 PM (#517486)
Subject: 56 dodge body mounts

I bought a 56 dodge coronet 2dr sedan which had previously been off the frame and reattached to the frame without all the mounting pads intact. Can anyone tell me what the proper distribution of pads is? Suppliers say 28 pad sets (2 pads per set) for a total of 56 are required, but I can't determine where they go. There are 14 mounting locations and it appears that different locations require different numbers of pads. For example: the very front mount at the base of the cowl seems to need 3 pads, while the location on the rear wheel arch needs two. Any help as the how many at each location would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Viper Guy
Posted 2016-07-25 11:10 AM (#517557 - in reply to #517486)
Subject: RE: 56 dodge body mounts

Expert

If no one else answers, and I don't know either, but do you have a service manual? That might help.
rcairney
Posted 2016-07-25 11:56 AM (#517559 - in reply to #517557)

I've looked everywhere I can think of. Factory service manual has nothing, nor does the parts manual. I've looked at all the restoration pictures I can find to no avail. I'm hoping someone out there has a 55-56 dodge or plymouth and can take a look underneath and let me know what the deal is.
DepsilonD
Posted 2016-07-25 12:01 PM (#517560 - in reply to #517486)
Subject: Re: 56 dodge body mounts

Elite Veteran

I agree with Viper Guy, a factory service manual will be the best source of information. I'm recovering from surgery right now so I can't access mine to give you an answer.
rcairney
Posted 2016-07-26 10:55 AM (#517631 - in reply to #517486)

Thank you. Hope your recovery is going well. I sent emails to Andy Bernbaum and Steele Rubber yesterday asking for help. I'll see what they might have to say.
GaryS
Posted 2016-07-26 11:46 AM (#517632 - in reply to #517486)

Expert

I have no idea if mine were original, but starting from front to back...positions 1, 2, 3 and 4 buildup from top is: large washer-pad-body-pad-large washer. Position 5, over the axle, is the special nut/washer combination-pad-body-pad. It has the stud with a large washer attached to frame. The back mount had no pads or large washer. It must serve as a ground, as it was secured with a star washer and lock nut.

The body on my '56 2-door hardtop Plymouth was rusted so badly that when I was replacing the pads I had to resort to shimming a few places to make the repaired body sit evenly on the mounts. FWIW, the pad kit I bought had two extra parts, but it may have been for other models that use the same pad.

As I said, I don't know if mine was/is the OEM configuration.

Edited by GaryS 2016-07-26 2:53 PM
DepsilonD
Posted 2016-07-26 1:25 PM (#517643 - in reply to #517486)

Elite Veteran

This may help in conjunction with the information provided GaryS.

(IMG_1842.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1842.JPG (69KB - 738 downloads)
rcairney
Posted 2016-07-27 6:57 PM (#517767 - in reply to #517632)

Thank you. I'm probably overthinking the matter. There are 3 layers of metal. One is the floor pan. Next is the bracket on the inner rocker panel and under the floor pan. Finally there is the frame bracket under the inner rocker panel bracket. When I pulled the body off the frame, there were only two pads (with metal tops with sleeves going thru the pads) on both sides at location 4. They were located on the top of the frame bracket and under the frame bracket was another pad. Under the bottom pad was a large washer and the nut attached to the bolt. The bolt itself went thru a washer, then the floor pan, then the inner rocker panel bracket, then the pad with the metal top and sleeve, then the frame bracket, then the pad under the bracket, and finally thru the large washer and threaded to the nut. All other pads and sleeves, etc. were in a box in the trunk. The car was also loosely bolted to the frame at the cowl and over the rear wheel arches. My dilemma is whether there should be any pads between the floor pans and and the inner rocker panels brackets. My inclination is to reattach the body the same all over as the two that I found at location 4, with the exception being on the wheel arches and the most rearward mounts. Does this sound about right to you? Again, thanks for your help.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)