The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

anyone interested in hydroboost brake conversion info?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

udoittwo
Posted 2016-12-15 10:25 AM (#528762)
Subject: anyone interested in hydroboost brake conversion info?

Expert

As many of you are probably well aware that I have spent several $1000 on my brakes over the last 10 years with very little difference incuding AAJ front disc conversion. After 8 months, I will finally be getting my hydroboost master cylinder conversion kit. Unfortunately the guy that built these kits had a heart attack and was out of commission for a few months.

Anyway, yesterday, they told me the kit wll be in before the end of January. I had never heard of hydroboost before this but it sounds like a real good deal. My 1960 Plymouth Suburban was totally original when I bought it and it stopped terribly with the single non-power MC and drums around. I converted to front disc and added a dual MC. Tried several different bore diameter MCs with no change. A garage that builds performance and race cars from the ground up said it didin't produce enough pressure.

Myself and 8 garages later with no real change, I was ready to listen to his suggestion. A hydroboost conversion instead of using vacuum, uses the P.S. pump pressure. The kit comes with the hydroboost unit + correct MC + rod, "T" hose to replace the P.S. hose.

I have a nice rebuilt pump that I might as well install while I am there. I really pray that this is the solution. Knowing now about this conversion, I probably could have saved a lot of money but I ordered it through the garage at the time. It cost $1500 but I'm sure it would be a lot cheaper if I dealt directly with the company.

So, when I get it, would anyone have an interest in pictures of it and how it goes together in the car? The only questions they asked were the year/model, engine, and if it had a front or back hose off the pump. IF they did their homework, I am hoping it will go smoothly and I will finally have real brakes.

Later,
Karl.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
plymouth
Posted 2016-12-15 10:58 AM (#528769 - in reply to #528762)
Subject: Re: anyone interested in hydroboost brake conversion info?

Expert

I still think it would have better to diagnose the problem before throwing on some other booster system. I've driven cars with The AAJ kit and these brakes in their stock form and they all stop fine as long as everything is set up correctly. That's a lot of money to throw at something and not even be sure it will remedy your problem. My advice would be to see if you can get your money back for the hydraboost and have us methodically help you diagnose your brakes.
Chrispy
Posted 2016-12-15 1:34 PM (#528790 - in reply to #528762)

Extreme Veteran

Man, you could have just bought the magnum force kit.
60 dart
Posted 2016-12-15 5:36 PM (#528807 - in reply to #528762)

Expert 5K+

through your adventures , did you try a short throw power brake mc . -----------------------------------------later
udoittwo
Posted 2016-12-16 10:12 AM (#528875 - in reply to #528762)
Subject: RE: anyone interested in hydroboost brake conversion info?

Expert

I am doing the hydroboost system and all I want to know is if anyone would like to know if and how it works, how easy it was to install, ect.
mikes2nd
Posted 2016-12-16 11:15 AM (#528882 - in reply to #528762)

Expert 5K+

heck yeah post pics and parts involved..
1960 des
Posted 2016-12-17 9:11 AM (#528952 - in reply to #528882)

Regular

Yes pics/info welcome!
/Michael
Greg P.
Posted 2016-12-17 4:34 PM (#528986 - in reply to #528952)

Elite Veteran

I would be very interested to see how it works out. Please keep us updated.

From reading your posts, it wasn't entirely clear to me if you had tried installing a conventional vacuum style booster. To me, that would seem to be a simpler and less costly solution, but I haven't been following your whole story from the beginning and I'm sure I missed many things.

In general, hydroboosters are only used on vehicles with engines that may not generate sufficient manifold vacuum to reliably operate a vacuum style booster. The most common applications are turbocharged and supercharged vehicles (mainly diesel trucks) and modified cars with radical cams that have such a lumpy idle that they can't create good vacuum. That said, I can think of no reason at all why a hydrobooster wouldn't work on any car. I think the reason the automakers typically use vacuum boosters instead of hydroboosters is the additional cost of the hydroboost systems.

The main issues would be proper sizing and fit of the components. Are you going to do the installation yourself?
udoittwo
Posted 2016-12-21 10:38 AM (#529407 - in reply to #528762)
Subject: RE: anyone interested in hydroboost brake conversion info?

Expert

Ive been reading around and didn't find much against the hydro-boost system . The only thing I found that was against the system is it is not as attractive and a vacuum system.

Advantages are they are smaller more relaible than a vacuum unit, has direct shaft from pedal to MC piston so it reacts faster, has more pressure[vac. 1500-1800 lbs, hy-boost 2800 so it has faster responce with less pedal effort for better control, doesn't affect performance of engine, won't fade on steep hill or engine stall, has more reserve that won't fade if you hit the brakes more than once right a way, vac. hoses are more prone to cracking or leaking.

These unit was not just for large vehicles, GM put them on their Astrovans and Cadillacs but works a lot better than a vacuum unit on heavier vehicles. The system was first patented as Hydro-boost by Bendix in 1974. They are much better for vehicles with large wheels, diesels or high performance vehicles that don't produce as much vacuum.

As far as price goes, one person bought a used one from a 2004 Astrovan, for $30, rebuilt it, new MC, and a few other items, he built the whole system for well under $200.
plymouth
Posted 2016-12-21 11:05 AM (#529410 - in reply to #529407)

Expert

Did you determine that your brake trouble was indeed coming from your vacuum booster? I'm curious to see this system.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)