The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fuel pump adapter & dizzy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

flyinbuttress
Posted 2017-02-12 11:49 PM (#533867)
Subject: Fuel pump adapter & dizzy

Veteran

I know they are available at hotheads but wasnt there a guy on here making fuel pump adapters for the 318 pumps on the 354s? Also looking for the distributor extension shaft to use an electronic dizzy in my 354. Thanx, Brent
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mopar1
Posted 2017-02-13 11:16 AM (#533909 - in reply to #533867)
Subject: Re: Fuel pump adapter & dizzy

Expert

The dizzy extension is just a piece of tubing. they work fine, but...if your dizzy craps out the replacement ones at the parts house obviously won't fit. If you get the extended int. shaft, the off the shelf LA dizzy drops right in.
Powerflite
Posted 2017-02-13 12:34 PM (#533919 - in reply to #533867)
Subject: RE: Fuel pump adapter & dizzy

Expert 5K+

Yeah, to use it, you cut the end of your shaft off and insert the tubing over both pieces, and weld them back together. Pretty cheesy solution, and it wasn't that tight of a fit so there can be alignment issues which will make your distributor wobble and wear out it's bushings.

So, just like George, I recommend changing the intermediate shaft instead. But pressing out the old pin holding the gear on can be difficult without a press because the end of the pin is swaged a little bit to ensure it stays on. To make the job easier, if you don't have access to a press, you would need to purchase a new gear with it that is much easier to assemble to the new shaft.
flyinbuttress
Posted 2017-02-13 1:10 PM (#533925 - in reply to #533919)
Subject: RE: Fuel pump adapter & dizzy

Veteran

Oh OK Thanx. I thought I remembered somebody making one. So, replacing the shaft is fine with me. What shaft do I use? Just the one from a 318 elec? And was there nobody on this site making the fuel pump adapters? Dont mind buying em from Hotheads, just thought Id keep the money around here. Thanx, Brent

Edited by flyinbuttress 2017-02-13 1:13 PM
wayfarer
Posted 2017-02-13 1:33 PM (#533930 - in reply to #533867)

Elite Veteran

The easy way to make-your-own intermediate shaft is to find a stock 392 part. I would recommend removing the shaft from the gear so that you can fully clean the mating surfaces before pushing the shaft back in. The shaft will be in the proper location when it is flush with the top of the gear. I strongly recommend using Loctite 609 or similar as both an assembly lube and retainer. If the shaft has retained its normal press fit then a cross-drilled pin is no longer required. The gears that I now use are not drilled.
Keep in mind that the shaft is a bit hard and drilling can be a real PITA. My shafts are induction hardened to a Rc of 65 +/-...a bugger to poke a hole in...

Here is a link to the Hamb thread where I showed the process. In the thread I indicate drilling for the pin but it was mostly for appeasing certain folks....
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/331-354-hemi-intermediat...
If you want a new shaft and/or gear I have them in inventory. hemi.parts@yahoo.com

As for the spacer, you can make one using a gasket as a pattern. I will, again, suggest making an outline of the actuator arm (on the old pump) so that a new pump can be compared to see if the 'sweet-spot' will land on the new arm in a proper location, based on whatever adapter thickness you play with.
Sit the pump against the edge of your work bench, note where the bolt holes are located, and draw an outline. Overlay the new pump and try to match the 'sweet-spot'...how fat is the spacer?
Powerflite
Posted 2017-02-13 2:37 PM (#533938 - in reply to #533930)

Expert 5K+

I just realized that you may be talking about converting a 354 poly motor. The '57-'58 354 uses the 392 oil pump, so it uses the same intermediate shaft as a 392, not like the old 354. In that case, there is no direct conversion shaft available so that making a custom shaft or extending your distributor may be your only options. To make the custom one, I actually took an extra intermediate shaft with the slot already made in it, and then cut a flat at the other end at the right length. It is quite short, like only .75" or so tall. Then I epoxied this (with JB weld) into the top of the original gear to extend the height up. It worked perfectly and wasn't too difficult to make. The alignment is more forgiving because the part you are cutting gets inserted into the gear and is supported by the whole structure to keep it centered. This post is where I made this discovery.

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=63052&...
flyinbuttress
Posted 2017-02-13 6:40 PM (#533961 - in reply to #533867)

Veteran

Cool thanx guys!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)