The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Maybe Stupid Question
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

bbrasse1
Posted 2017-03-17 6:55 PM (#536137)
Subject: Maybe Stupid Question

Extreme Veteran

When test running a 341 hemi after rebuild, does it hurt the torque converter or stator inside to run dry with no transmission? I see so many videos and it looks like they are running a dry torque converter! In my thoughts this can't be healthy for the stator to be unsupported bouncing around in there. Is there a clutch type flywheel you can purchase to test run the engine?
Thanks,
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FourFans
Posted 2017-03-17 9:24 PM (#536143 - in reply to #536137)
Subject: Re: Maybe Stupid Question

Regular

As far as I have always known, if the engine is internally balanced you should be fine running without the converter at all. Even externally balanced, if you are just starting it to check it or do a simple cam break in you should be ok. I still would just do cam break in when the motor is in the car.
wizard
Posted 2017-03-18 3:27 AM (#536147 - in reply to #536137)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

The converter and the flywheel/starter ring gear is one unit on the earlier engines. The converter should naturally NEVER be runned without fluid, with eth exeption of making a yoke that keeps the internal parts in their positions.
RUSTORICHES
Posted 2017-03-18 1:11 PM (#536157 - in reply to #536137)

Extreme Veteran

Your title should be "Interesting question" as the world we live in youtube provides some very fascinating engine start up videos, some very descriptive and informative, some…..entertaining and some well……..? I'll let you draw your own conclusions there. I'm currently building an engine start up/run in stand to be able to address and make the necessary adjustments, changes and repairs required before doing a complete drop in for one of my cars. So your torque converter question caught my attention as I have plans for mounting the complete engine/transmission unit on this stand for testing both. As it's turning out the stand has become the focused project here and not my engine and trans although reading here and gathering advise and experience of the members has provided a great deal of insight on the challenges we come upon in the restoration of our cars. My comment is rather lengthy just to simply say Thank you for posting
bbrasse1
Posted 2017-03-18 6:54 PM (#536164 - in reply to #536137)

Extreme Veteran

Yes, thank you all. I assume and hope most of those videos use a clutch type flywheel. I would like to start my engine before installing it but couldn't believe it was ok to do it without the transmission attached as nothing would hold the stator in place. I am no expert so I thought there were enough "engine heads to keep me straight. I wish you luck with your project. For me, it looks as though I need to put the engine in my car with the transmission attached and full of transmission fluid. I need to set the pressures anyway, but thanks again to all who gave me the good advice I was looking for.
Fireflite56
Posted 2017-03-18 11:25 PM (#536176 - in reply to #536164)

Extreme Veteran

Bob, I can't answer your question about running the torque converter dry (or not running one at all), but when I rebuilt the engine for my '56 DeSoto, I attached the trans and torque converter. Note that the shop manual will tell you to do a partial fill (4 or 5 quarts) of trans fluid, then start the motor and add the rest as it pumps into the system. You'll see we do this in the video. We had also added about a coffee cup's worth of trans fluid to the torque converter before installation to keep it from starting dry.

Glen, I know what you mean about focusing on the stand! Mine supported the engine front and rear, as well as provided a mounting bracket for the radiator to sit on.

Hopefully you at least find the video interesting to watch! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5fqV46uVt8
bbrasse1
Posted 2017-03-19 5:39 PM (#536222 - in reply to #536176)

Extreme Veteran

Really good video. Thanks
Shep
Posted 2017-03-20 8:27 PM (#536326 - in reply to #536222)

Expert

Bob, true you cannot run a dry convertor, but without being attached to the trans, with no input shaft installed it is turning as a unit and nothing is rotating internally, this should not be a problem, but if possible I would still find another way.
RUSTORICHES
Posted 2017-03-20 10:09 PM (#536340 - in reply to #536176)

Extreme Veteran

Fireflite56 - 2017-03-18 9:25 PM

Glen, I know what you mean about focusing on the stand! Mine supported the engine front and rear, as well as provided a mounting bracket for the radiator to sit on.
Hopefully you at least find the video interesting to watch! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5fqV46uVt8

The video was most interesting,I'd liked to see more of the stand from multiple angles. I'm obsessed now…….LOL That Hemi sounds good hope you have some fun with it.
In the torqueflite manual it says to shift the transmission through all the gears to ensure to you have the proper fluid level for operation failing to due so may result in pump damage. I'm not sure if this is applicable to the powerflite and I haven't researched it yet. I still have the powerflite bolted up to my 354 hemi and will be putting it to the task shortly in the next couple weeks I hope
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)