The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1956 Dodge Custom Royal Side Trim Attachment "insights"/options
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2017-05-30 8:45 PM (#541223)
Subject: 1956 Dodge Custom Royal Side Trim Attachment "insights"/options

Expert 5K+

I am in the process of painting the saddle portion of my 1956 Dodge and as a result, I have been removing the side trim. In doing so, I have learned a few things that I wanted to share and/or document.

My car (last November, 2016):

To discuss the trim and the attachment clips, I will refer to this diagram from the 1955-58 Mopar parts pdf manual (available on line for free):

The part numbers that go with the diagram are shown here:

Here are the reference numbers as applied to my 4 dr car:

I have not removed Item 3 (just masked it off for now) so the following refers to Items 4, 6, 7 and 8.

Items 4 and 6 are very similar. They were/are held on by five 1695 561 clips that slip through square holes in the doors. I think it is possible to load the clips into the door and then "stretch"/bang the trim over/onto the clips.

This is an Item 6 rear door trim but Item 4 is very much the same:

The 1695 561 clips look like this:

Based on other forum members, e.g. Serge, it would also be possible to substitute the 1695 561 clips with bolted spring clips and nuts (if you want to remove the inner door panel and maybe the door glass so you could access the threaded bolt on the spring clip).

Clips like these:

Otherwise, if you couldn't get some 1695 561 clips, you could use aftermarket spring clips (and add some rubber cushioning/insulation):

Spring clips like these:

My Item 7 long trim piece was held on by a screw (at the rear door jamb), three spring clips and three bolted clips. I could access the nuts on the three bolted clips from the trunk. The spring clips just needed some firm persuasion to pull the trim off the rear fender.

This photo shows the combination of spring clips that were at the front end of the Item 7 trim. One was OE looking metal spring clip with some old hard rubber and the other two were some strange, presumably aftermarket, plastic spring clips that did work. I will be replacing those with new spring clips. The rear bolted spring clips are rusty and will be replaced with new Geno 17-2691 clips (and the original nuts).

Item 8 was held on by three bolted spring clips. They will be replaced with new Geno 17-2691 clips (and the original nuts).

Incidental to this I also removed one of the front door trims, the one that is just below the edge of the driver's door window. This was all metal spring clips which will be replaced (with rubber seal/insulation added).

Hope this helps somebody (I am sure this isn't unique to 56 Dodges).

Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2017-06-01 3:49 PM (#541352 - in reply to #541223)
Subject: RE: 1956 Dodge Custom Royal Side Trim Attachment "insights"/options

Expert 5K+

Just came back from my local Old Car Parts retailer. I took the upper door trim (as shown below) and tried to match the clip. The bigger ones that I bought before are Auveco 2272 so we tried the other Auveco one, 1256, but it is too small (2272 is too big).

So now I am looking for an alternative. Anybody with ideas?

http://www.auveco.com/OnlineCatalog/v2016/index.html#?page=358

Edited by 56D500boy 2017-06-01 3:50 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)