The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1962 Chrysler 300H Digital Radio conversion (chopped)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

hemidenis
Posted 2017-06-15 6:12 PM (#542201)
Subject: 1962 Chrysler 300H Digital Radio conversion (chopped)

Expert

I was first contacted by Joe from Dobbs Motorsports, to convert his boss 300G 1961 radio with 7 buttons. Since we know this radio very well, we were very confident a finished product could be delivered faster than usual. But as I have said many times, there is no an ordinary conversion in this business.

Joe initially informed me that his boss requested just a regular digital FM, with no other options or visible screen, the sound will be delivered by a single speaker located in the center of the dash with stereo capabilities , which is the original location.

As the finals arrangements were made for Dobbs Motorsports to send us the radio, Joe found that the aftermarket AC installed inside of the 300G was taking most of the space under the dash and the original radio configuration would not fit. He contacted us immediately, and asked us if we could cut the whole back of the radio by at least 4 inches. At this moment the regular conversion suddenly develop into a new prototype.

The original space inside of these radios is limited, mainly due to the fact that the pushbutton mechanism use most of the available room, and the original radio case is just big enough to install all the components. At the time Dobbs Motorsports asking to cut 4 inches of the back, was again a new technical challenge.

Dobbs Motorsports, finally had the exact amount needed to be removed from the back, so they did the cut in their shop before sending the radio to us ( I would have done the cutting a bit different).

A few days later the radio arrived by FedEx to our shop, it was a very odd sight to see this radio literally severed in a half. Of course the front and any other visible areas were original untouched. Another surprise was that the radio was actually a 1962 model, which is aesthetically similar to 1961 but inside it is different, especially the pushbutton mechanism needed to convert the radio with moderns electronics.

It took almost 80 hours to develop this transformation from scratch due to the new space restrictions, which includes polishing and coloring the needle, but the results were more than satisfactory. We also added an Mp3 player and USB charger to the conversion to bring this Dobbs Motorsports 1961 Chrysler 300G to the latest music playing options.

Thanks to Joe and Dobbs Motorsports for letting us share this conversion. Here it is a video of one of a few radios we make with out a visible screen. Definetely the first in the 60-61-62 type.

Like always I'm including a video and pictures.

(62 300 buttons.jpg)

(62h.jpg)

(62h3.jpg)

(62h4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 62 300 buttons.jpg (165KB - 144 downloads)
Attachments 62h.jpg (110KB - 137 downloads)
Attachments 62h3.jpg (27KB - 133 downloads)
Attachments 62h4.jpg (22KB - 138 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)