The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

anyone know which smoothie wheel is which?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

udoittwo
Posted 2017-07-03 10:23 AM (#543424)
Subject: anyone know which smoothie wheel is which?

Expert

My car came with chrome "smoothies" when I bought it 11 years ago. I want to replace one or 2 that are slightly bent and vibrate at high speeds. I am using a bullet style center cap. Problem is there are 2 different style smoothies. 1 will take a Chevy style/size Rally cap and the other will not. I believe my bullet style Rally caps are larger than the Chevy cap. The part that snaps into the wheel on my caps is 7 1/2". I THINK Chevy Rally caps are 7" or 7 1/4"[?]. My cap will not fit a standard Chevy Rally wheel.

I've looked and can't find any info on the center cap sizes on their wheels. Years ago I researched them and found an answer but it seemed common enough that I thought I would be able to find the info again as easily. I believe one size MAY be a "series 51" and the other a "series 52" and I think the difference in them is the size caps. Are "series 51 & 52" manufactorers size specs or just a certain wheel makers size? Does anyone else run smoothies or know anything about these wheels?

I've tried getting through to Summits tech department but that is not that easy,

thanks for any info,
Karl.

(DSCN6661.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN6661.JPG (244KB - 339 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mikes2nd
Posted 2017-07-03 10:14 PM (#543474 - in reply to #543424)
Subject: Re: anyone know which smoothie wheel is which?

Expert 5K+

summits tech dept is worthless. I don't know why people waste their time.

that is a far cry to determine the actual make/model for chrome smoothie rims, back 15-20 years ago there was probably a lot of makers of this type of rim.

I bet you could get it from wheel stores and even jc whitney.

They are cheap of course but do they have any markings under the cap or in the back?

Wheel vintiques has little drain bumps, does yours?

https://www.wheelvintiques.com/wheels/solid-full-chrome.html

American Racing VN31 is a non bump ring in the middle

mikes2nd
Posted 2017-07-03 10:17 PM (#543475 - in reply to #543424)

Expert 5K+

this almost looks like your center cap

https://www.performanceplustire.com/accessories/accessory-10-series-...

60 dart
Posted 2017-07-04 12:00 AM (#543479 - in reply to #543424)

Expert 5K+

go to epay and you'll find what you need , most likely in a universal 4 1/2 - 4 3/4 bolt up mine ar i think american racing but after
15 yrs i'm really not sure . here's a cap like yours 7 1/2"---------------------------------------------------------later

thinkin back to when i needed a new hub cap for one of mine , they only made 7 1/2 inside fit . still , i don't think anyone makes
an inside fit cap for a smoothie other than a 7 1/2

Edited by 60 dart 2017-07-04 12:08 AM
udoittwo
Posted 2017-07-04 9:05 AM (#543498 - in reply to #543424)
Subject: RE: anyone know which smoothie wheel is which?

Expert

When I was looking at wheels several years ago, they would say something like "this wheel will not take Chevy style center caps". I just called Summit and got their tech dept. and spent 1/2 hr and he wasn't really sure. The bullet style cap you showed above is the same cap I have and Summit still sells. I told the tech to look up the cap and compare it to a Chevy size. He eventually found a chrome smoothie that he says my caps will fit. FREE shipping and he guarrenteed the fit, I ordered 2. I tried to find the specs on that wheel but couldn't find any. I hope he is right.

I can see 2 of my wheels when elevated wobble very slightly. I know the wheels are off but I am also running 2 cokers and I have had issues with them and cord seperations in the past. The 2 American classics[also sold by coker] still run nice and seem to be wearing evenly. I have my annual 7 hr drive to the 1000 Islands in upstae N.Y. in a couple weeks and am concerned about my tires also.

A quick sales pitch because the area is loosing its tourisim. If you can go to the 1000 Islands, GO! Crystal clear unlimited water, great fishing, wineries, distilleries, and sitting at a bar on the water watching ocean going ships cruise by a 100 feet away between the islands is fantastic. The thing I like is in late July, the average temp is 79-82, low humidity, beautiful sunsets over Canada on the other side of the St. Lawrence Seaway[which just looks like a huge lake], and maybe rain 1 day a week.

What is the difference in "smoothies" and "chrome reverse" wheels. I am guessing it is just and old school term for the same thing?
60 dart
Posted 2017-07-04 5:37 PM (#543529 - in reply to #543424)

Expert 5K+

what i didn't state yesterday , i did a fast epay look for your centers . found a set quickly stating they only fit wheels accepting 7 1/2 center caps . also their are probably 5 or 6 smoothie
companies , maybe more , including cragar , american racing , pacer to name 3.
reverse wheels ,,,,,,,,,, the centers face the actual backside of the wheel , " a whole geometry thing "then welded up --------------------------------------------------later
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)