The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

59 Custom Royal What Booster/Master setup
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

cjm88
Posted 2017-07-24 1:56 AM (#544707)
Subject: 59 Custom Royal What Booster/Master setup

Ok so my brakes are coming together very quickly and easily and i have reached the point of selecting a booster/master setup, i know many say to stick with the original booster as it was a power brakes car but given that im replacing every other part of the system i dont see a point in sticking with the ancient booster that is more than likely dry rotted, plus the more modern setup up provided me with easier to replace parts. I get the reasoning behind staying original but i'm by no means a purist so i dont mind it not being original.

1959 custom royal 2dr
AAJ disks swap in front ['76 monte carlo calipers]
'71 E-body 8.75 in the rear with 10x2.5 drums

My question is what size master have you guys run, ive been doing lots of reading on calculating brake sizing and such, and quite frankly math was never my strong suit and my brain hurts, I'm very likely going with an 8" mopar dual diaphragm power booster ebay package but they come in 1" bore or 1 /18" bore. Most of what i have read suggests easiest route is matching the master size to what was on vehicle that your brakes came from, '71 challenger ran a 1.03" , '76 monte carlo ran 1 1/8" so am i right in thinking i should be matching it to the monte carlo?

thanks.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mopar1
Posted 2017-07-24 9:07 PM (#544787 - in reply to #544707)
Subject: Re: 59 Custom Royal What Booster/Master setup

Expert

I'd say go with the later booster, providing there's room. Get one that bolts on the same way. You may have to shorten the operating rod, often they are too long with the newer set up & can cause problems.
51coronet
Posted 2017-07-25 12:06 PM (#544807 - in reply to #544707)

Extreme Veteran

For sure a late model if it fits. Will be cheaper and easier to replace if need be. The hemi cars are trickier to mount a late model booster and master. Wedge style V8s have a good amount of room in the area so it shouldn't be a problem on yours.
You can get the 1 1/18th bore master and just proportion the rears correctly if they are getting too much juice. That way if you ever decide to go disc in the back you are ready for it as far as the master is concerned.
Powerflite
Posted 2017-07-25 12:23 PM (#544811 - in reply to #544807)

Expert 5K+

I much prefer the original. They work great and I haven't had any issues with them at all. Perfect combination with my disc brakes. Best of all, they look like they belong there. A big modern booster really looks out of place IMO.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)