The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Removing Crank from a Stuck Engine
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

FINS!
Posted 2017-07-24 7:12 PM (#544775)
Subject: Removing Crank from a Stuck Engine

Elite Veteran

I have the engine stripped down to the block. Trying to get the crank out. It would not turn so I removed the main bearing caps, still would not turn, removed bolts from all but 1 piston rod cap. Was able to remove some of the caps completely and knock out 2 pistons. The 1 cap I didn't unbolt because I cannot get a socket on it. The engine is still stuck HARD. Will not budge with a breaker bar and a long pipe What else could be sticking it? And any suggestions for getting this crank out? Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
LostDeere59
Posted 2017-07-24 8:15 PM (#544782 - in reply to #544775)
Subject: RE: Removing Crank from a Stuck Engine

Extreme Veteran

In my experience a "stuck" engine is usually caused by the rings rusting to the cylinder bores. Unbolting the rod and main caps should allow the crank to come out, but because the tolerances are tight and you can't get any vertical "give" on the rods in can be tricky to get things to separate.

If you have a spun/seized main bearing you should be able to see that on the main cap side of the bearing as well - since you didn't mention that I'm assuming it's just the rings keeping the crank in place.

You are definitely going to need to unbolt that #1 rod cap before things will start to work loose.

I have disassembled several stuck engines, and on at least 2 of them I had to sacrifice the pistons. Even after filling the bores with penetrating oil/trans fluid/etc from below and allowing things to soak for a week or two the pistons/rings remained married to the cylinder bores. Since the pistons are usually (I can't say always on this board anymore - lol) aluminum, and readily replaceable, they are the item that get sacrificed. Use a small sledge/drilling hammer and a long punch or chisel and break the stuck piston(s) apart. If you're careful you can avoid damaging the bore and rod/pin. Once you free the rod from the piston head/rings lands you should be able to remove the crank thanks to the play now available in the rods.

With a little care and soaking I have been able to convince stuck pistons/rings to move using a wood block and hammer. Once the crank is free you can work the piston up and down until you work it free from the block.

Good luck

Gregg

51coronet
Posted 2017-07-25 12:25 PM (#544812 - in reply to #544775)
Subject: Re: Removing Crank from a Stuck Engine

Extreme Veteran

Penetrating fluid. I hear a mix of acetone and trans fluid are great. Make sure everything making contact with metal is wet with a penetrating lube and let is set for a bit. Sometimes a quick strike versus gradual pushing or pulling works best with stuck metal parts (impact on the crank nut). Heat. Are you willing to sacrifice a piston? If so hammer on the top side of it with a piece of wood and mallet. You will get it apart
FINS!
Posted 2017-08-23 10:12 PM (#546852 - in reply to #544775)

Elite Veteran

Thanks guys. I was able to unbolt the #1 piston. The engine would still not turn over with all the pistons unbolted (and some of them knocked out of their bores). Any idea why this would be? I was able to get the crank removed anyway. But with the pistons unbolted and the main caps removed, you'd think I could turn the engine over with a breaker bar? Seemed strange to me.
mikes2nd
Posted 2017-08-24 12:07 AM (#546861 - in reply to #544775)
Subject: Re: Removing Crank from a Stuck Engine

Expert 5K+

Cranks wont just come out, any slight grabbing from two rods (and those bolts sticking out are the problem) and the crank wont budge.

Mopar1
Posted 2017-08-24 11:28 AM (#546895 - in reply to #546852)

Expert

FINS! - 2017-08-23 9:12 PM

Thanks guys. I was able to unbolt the #1 piston. The engine would still not turn over with all the pistons unbolted (and some of them knocked out of their bores). Any idea why this would be? I was able to get the crank removed anyway. But with the pistons unbolted and the main caps removed, you'd think I could turn the engine over with a breaker bar? Seemed strange to me.
"the engine won't turn over" Are you saying the crank still won't turn? Timing chain is off, right? If not, I had a cam seized in a 331 I bought.
FINS!
Posted 2017-09-04 12:43 PM (#547723 - in reply to #544775)

Elite Veteran

Yeah, the crack would still not turn, timing chain was off. Obviously it doesn't just "come out" but with all the main caps unbolted I would have thought I could get it to move with a breaker bar. I was able to get the crack out of the engine. A stuck cam, that is unusual.
Mopar1
Posted 2017-09-04 5:11 PM (#547741 - in reply to #547723)

Expert

FINS! - 2017-09-04 11:43 AM

. A stuck cam, that is unusual.
yeah, if I ever build the engine it should come out in the hot tank.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)