The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

VIN door tag
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

rockerarm
Posted 2017-08-15 12:14 PM (#546251)
Subject: VIN door tag

Elite Veteran

I'm restoring my 61 Fury convertible and in the process of stripping the paint off the VIN door tag I noticed that the 1st two numbers are stamped from the top side and the remainder of the numbers embossed, (raised), on the tag.
Never noticed that before.

Will.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Chrycoman
Posted 2017-08-15 2:27 PM (#546269 - in reply to #546251)
Subject: Re: VIN door tag

Expert

Yes, that's how they were done in the early 1960's. The car would do through the process of being assembled and the factory tracked the vehicle down the line with the SON - Shipping Order Number. The SON, which consisted the scheduled build date and the daily sequence number, was on the body tag, broadcast sheet, IBM card, and the car body. The version on the car body was prefixed by letters for the model year and assembly plant.

The serial number tags were pre-stamped with the last six digits of the serial number - model year, assembly plant and six digit production sequence number (which started at 100001). Somewhere toward the end of the line a serial number tag would be picked up and the first two digits were stamped into the tag on the top side to match the car it was for - Car line and price class / series. The serial number would be entered into the system and it would then appear on the IBM card and other documents.

Chrysler would not start stamping the VIN (serial number) onto the car's body until 1968.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)