The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Chrysler Imperial 1959-Transmission
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

RexiRexi
Posted 2017-08-27 10:53 AM (#547129)
Subject: Chrysler Imperial 1959-Transmission

Hi

I have some problems with my A-488 Torqueflite transmission - when driving around for a couple of hours
the transmission is not acting as it should - i.e. when I am activating the "N" push button (neutral) the car
is going in reverse. The oil is changed and the oil temp is around 180-200F - any idea what is wrong??

(Chrysler Imperial 1959 kopi.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Chrysler Imperial 1959 kopi.jpg (82KB - 378 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2017-08-27 12:54 PM (#547132 - in reply to #547129)
Subject: RE: Chrysler Imperial 1959-Transmission

Expert 5K+

I know nothing but it seems as if you push-button to transmission cable isn't adjusted quite right and when things warm up, that adjustment error results in the missed gear selection. Check the adjustment as per the factory manual.

51coronet
Posted 2017-08-27 1:53 PM (#547138 - in reply to #547129)
Subject: Re: Chrysler Imperial 1959-Transmission

Extreme Veteran

Nice car, is that the stock antenna? Back on the subject it does sound like the cable is out of adjustment or the pushbutton isn't engaging far enough possibly worn down on the inside. Hope you get it figured out
60 Imp
Posted 2017-08-28 6:03 AM (#547176 - in reply to #547129)

G'day Oliver, Nice looking Imperial. The colours really suit it. I had to search up Faroe Islands, never heard of them before, man, you are in a remote place, how did that car (and you) end up there???

Have you heard of the Online Imperial Club? Lots of info to help you out, I have added the transmission page link here just in-case you have not seen it.

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Transmission/index.htm

Do you know any history of the car, specifically the transmission? What else have you done to solve the problem?

You will find there are a couple expert transmission guys on this site, and I am sure they will chime in.

Steve.
RexiRexi
Posted 2017-08-28 6:07 AM (#547177 - in reply to #547138)
Subject: Re: Chrysler Imperial 1959-Transmission

Hi yes it is a stock antenna :-) , yes I am afraid I have to pull the transmission out for overhaul , it is a bit difficult to get parts etc.
But the transmission is the last part of the car that is not overhauled I have during a 5 years period overhauled the entire car.

(Imperial - innan.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Imperial - innan.jpg (87KB - 182 downloads)
RexiRexi
Posted 2017-08-28 5:59 PM (#547214 - in reply to #547176)

Hi Steve , the Faroe Islands Maybe the last paradise on Planet Earth :-), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec5KwR41_iI
I live her in the Faroe Islands , for apx 5 years ago I bought the Imperial from Sweeden - since then me and my son have been overhauled the car
i.e new breaks all over-suspension - power steering-total engine overhaul and much more - only one item remaining and it is the transmission.

Reg the transmission the valve block was removed and cleaned for apx 2yesrs ago - both bands adjusted acc to speck-we have also installed a
external circulating pump and a filter for the transmission, installed to pipe connection in each side of the pan so the oil is circulating through the filter and the cooler
this to keep the oil @ apx 180-200F and keep the oil clean, the old pipe connections are connected in to a loop (together)

I have tested the transmission i.e. to give the care full throttle there is no problem for the transmission to handle that thare is on slip at all

I am aware of the Imperialclub and have been using the side a lot very usefull

Edited by RexiRexi 2017-08-28 6:05 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)