The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another transmission pushbutton issue - 62 Chrysler
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

Ev's62Chrysler
Posted 2017-09-18 8:57 PM (#548669)
Subject: Another transmission pushbutton issue - 62 Chrysler

Veteran

Couldn't find a similar problem listed, so I'll ask the experts. Car in question: 62 New Yorker, 413, torqueflight.

After car sat for a week, my dad backed the car up the driveway and into the street. Pressed drive button to go forward, but trans remained in reverse. He said there was no "click" (the usual sound at the buttons) when attempting to put into drive. He pressed reverse, neutral, drive - still stayed in reverse. He pressed low and it then "clicked" and shifted into low gear. He was then able to place in drive and then he and mom drove to church. After church, reverse and drive acted normally, and they drove ~10 miles around town with no issues before going home. All is good again.

From what I know there are the button mechanism, cable, and trans shifting mechanism components. My limited knowledge says to investigate the button mechanism first. First chance I get I'll remove it, check for binding/friction, lubricate, and put back together. Thoughts?

For what it's worth: this car sat 20 years untouched in a museum until 2 years ago before I made it road worthy again. I did not touch the trans other than adding ~ 1/2 quart of tranny fluid. The car had <400 miles since recommissioning (short city driving trips) until last weekend when I took them to a car show in it (120 miles round trip on interstate - furthest it's been from home). It performed flawlessly. No telling what condition the fluid is in and whether it has an effect on the trans shifting mechanism. By the way, we were given a plaque for
being selected one of the top three cars!

Thanks,
Robert

(IMG_6534a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_6534a.jpg (241KB - 198 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ABloch
Posted 2017-09-19 9:36 AM (#548695 - in reply to #548669)
Subject: Re: Another transmission pushbutton issue - 62 Chrysler

Expert

If this car has been sitting around for as long as you imply, I would attribute this hickup to that. Have you been able to replicate the problem? When the car is sitting in the garage, engine off, can you go through the buttons and feel them click into place? If they do then I would suspect the problem is further down the cable. The shift mechanism is pretty basic.

I suggest they drive it a little more often to shake the bugs out. Winters a comin'.
wizard
Posted 2017-09-19 11:44 AM (#548704 - in reply to #548669)
Subject: Re: Another transmission pushbutton issue - 62 Chrysler

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Most probably there's nothing wrong with the push button unit. One cable goes from the push button unit to the transmission - it seems that the cable got stuck in it's housing. Check the cable housing down on the transmission - sometimes the rubber is cracked and foregin particles might enter (also transmission fluid might leak).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)