The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

newbie from honolulu hawaii, 55 2dr belvedere...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Members RidesMessage format

fatguyzinc
Posted 2017-09-21 2:12 AM (#548835)
Subject: newbie from honolulu hawaii, 55 2dr belvedere...

whats going on, peeps? new guy from honolulu hawaii here.
heres why i just joined.....

wow did i win the lottery with this one. aside from the master cylinder
and tires, it is all original and has been sitting in a garage for 25+ years.

for a 60+yr old she is in AMAZING shape and plans are to patch the 2
silver dollar sized holes in the forward bottom rear inner fenderwell and
wash the dust off everything else.

i will try to get the original v8/powerflite with the weird on dash wand shifter
running so they can go in hemmings because someone somewhere must
need them desperately,

and then we are going to stuff her with a nasty 454 and a 4 speed muncie.
hopefully 55 chevy fenderwell headers fit, the cars are very similar.

a straight axle front, 3 feet of lift and a small 'moon' type tank hung under
the front bumper, and the 15x4 ansen slots i got hiding in the closet should
work great on the front end. widened stock rears and pie-crust 30x11.50 repops
should work great on the back end. looks like a mopar 8.75 type axle, but
everything i read says that started in '57 not '55-- i wonder what it is?
worse case i hit the junkyards and look for a 9" ford or a dana 60
truck rear, right? RIGHT !!!

$3250.00..... bought from the original owners son,
with a clean hawaii title and plates in storage so NO back taxes.

stay tuned, we just got her home last saturday morning....
and i really need to go do something nice for my wife as shes my partner in crime
in every crazy scheme i get us into. she was all for this one, no hesitation at all
when we rolled up to the guys house--we didnt even get out of the car yet and she said
"if he will take less than the $5k i got in my purse, BUY THE darn THING- we can worry
about how to get it home later"...

(55plymouth02.jpg)

(55plymouth01.jpg)

(55plymouth03.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 55plymouth02.jpg (67KB - 175 downloads)
Attachments 55plymouth01.jpg (74KB - 163 downloads)
Attachments 55plymouth03.jpg (186KB - 174 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ram300
Posted 2017-09-21 4:13 AM (#548841 - in reply to #548835)
Subject: RE: newbie from honolulu hawaii, 55 2dr belvedere...

Extreme Veteran

Nice find, I'd strongly recommend leaving the original drive train alone, just get it going and enjoy.

Many of these engine transplant ideas get way too expensive and complicated then the car just sits in pieces when you could be out cruizin in it as is.

Just my 2c worth.
Good luck
Owen
1960fury
Posted 2017-09-21 8:36 AM (#548851 - in reply to #548835)
Subject: Re: newbie from honolulu hawaii, 55 2dr belvedere...

Expert 5K+

what ram said. imo it would be a shame to cut her up and use a chevy engine. these cars in that unmolested condition are getting rare, especially in 2d ht form. i suggest get it running drive it like it is or try to sell it to someone who appreciates original FL mopars.
56D500boy
Posted 2017-09-21 10:25 AM (#548862 - in reply to #548851)

Expert 5K+

ram300 - 2017-09-21 4:13 AM Nice find, I'd strongly recommend leaving the original drive train alone, just get it going and enjoy.

1960fury - 2017-09-21 8:36 AM what ram said. imo it would be a shame to cut her up and use a chevy engine. these cars in that unmolested condition are getting rare, especially in 2d ht form. i suggest get it running drive it like it is or try to sell it to someone who appreciates original FL mopars.

Agree with both comments. The world doesn't need more gassers, it needs more original condition Forward Look cars, particularly 55-56 when the fins were first starting to develop. A running, cleaned up and polished, 55 Belvie 2dr hardtop survivor will be more than cool enough for cruzing the roads of Oahu.

Edited by 56D500boy 2017-09-21 10:26 AM
wizard
Posted 2017-09-21 2:01 PM (#548874 - in reply to #548835)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

This must be a joke - who on Earth would hack up a rare car for to build it up as a Chevy gasser???
Powerflite
Posted 2017-09-21 2:24 PM (#548879 - in reply to #548835)

Expert 5K+

3 feet of monster truck lift! Are you lifting both ends that high, or did you mean 3 inches? I've never understood why people build tall, straight axle gassers. Are you planning to drive it around on the street or use it for drag racing only? With a ton of lift, the thing becomes nearly undriveable on the street. I agree with previous comments that a hardtop Belvedere is best kept in more stock form because of their rarity and desirability to the street car crowd. A 2dr sedan would be a much better choice for a gasser, and would be more traditional because most people back in the day, chose to use sedans because of their higher rigidity and lower weight. But then again, it is your car, so do what you like.
1960fury
Posted 2017-09-21 3:03 PM (#548884 - in reply to #548835)

Expert 5K+

whats the point of a "gasser" anyway? to make it slower and ride like dangerous crap? the factory finally got rid of the straight axle and put on an independent suspension system so cars no longer ride like buggies. a gasser today means not cool or fast just "show" and they were never good looking at that stance. completely anti forwardlook. and a chevy engine in a mopar? (and the worst of them all, btw) like mopar didn't make any good v8s...
fatguyzinc
Posted 2017-09-21 5:45 PM (#548892 - in reply to #548835)

wow...maybe i need to unjoin. i didnt realize what a bunch of self rightious pompus @$$e$
you all were here...let me try to answer in order the attacks--

Nice find, I'd strongly recommend leaving the original drive train alone, just get it going and enjoy.
Many of these engine transplant ideas get way too expensive and complicated then the car just sits in pieces when you could be out cruizin in it as is.

not to worry, bro--aint my first rodeo by FAR. i got 20+ cars and 100's of motors. trans swaps, ring and pinions, lift, lower, tub, etc...under my belt.
i actually am an A.S.E. certified mechanic, and do EVERYTHING except bore the block and machine work myself. how many of you all can say that truthfully?

what ram said. imo it would be a shame to cut her up and use a chevy engine. these cars in that unmolested condition are getting rare, especially in 2d ht form. i suggest get it running drive it like it is or try to sell it to someone who appreciates original FL mopars

maybe you should sell YOUR car to a REAL car guy--one who appreciates ALL things automotive. take a look in the mirror lately?

Agree with both comments. The world doesn't need more gassers, it needs more original condition Forward Look cars, particularly 55-56 when the fins were first starting to develop. A running, cleaned up and polished, 55 Belvie 2dr hardtop survivor will be more than cool enough for cruzing the roads of Oahu.

actually, what the world needs is exactly that- more violent unruly gassers, and less preachy 'leave it stock because i dont like what youre going to do to YOUR car" types....

This must be a joke - who on Earth would hack up a rare car for to build it up as a Chevy gasser???

ME. dont like it? too bad--its MY car. you shpuld have flown your @$$ here to hawaii and bought it yourself if you thought it was so special
that it needed to be kept out of the hands of a rockbound redneck like me. pity....

3 feet of monster truck lift! Are you lifting both ends that high, or did you mean 3 inches? I've never understood why people build tall, straight axle gassers. Are you planning to drive it around on the street or use it for drag racing only? With a ton of lift, the thing becomes nearly undriveable on the street. I agree with previous comments that a hardtop Belvedere is best kept in more stock form because of their rarity and desirability to the street car crowd. A 2dr sedan would be a much better choice for a gasser, and would be more traditional because most people back in the day, chose to use sedans because of their higher rigidity and lower weight. But then again, it is your car, so do what you like.

you, sir, may be the only person to reply so far who "gets it". yes, it is my car and yes i will do as i like. thank you.
and no, i meant a foot of lift on the front to get the nose high stance ala "blasphemi'.....or SWC......

whats the point of a "gasser" anyway? to make it slower and ride like dangerous crap? the factory finally got rid of the straight axle and put on an independent suspension system so cars no longer ride like buggies. a gasser today means not cool or fast just "show" and they were never good looking at that stance. completely anti forwardlook. and a chevy engine in a mopar? (and the worst of them all, btw) like mopar didn't make any good v8s...

the point is ( as demonstrated by stone/woods/cook, mazmanian, coonrod, pitmann, and countless others) is--raw primal fearsome power.
maybe YOU cant make a tall straight axle car drive good on the street, but i can. "show", not fast? again, maybe YOUR cars are slow. mine arent. in fact
when we had a track here, EVERY time we went we got awarded-fastest street car. fastest car on street tires. fastest car that drove through the gates.
fastest car with mufflers...see a pattern there? and as for cool--i aint worried about that. those that seek to be 'cool' never are...
yes mopar made a few good engines (440 with mccandless 499 kit was a favorite of mine, actually...) but--i already HAVE the 468, muncie, tunnel ram, etc...
a true car freak does what he can with what hes got--its the time honored tradition pioneered by the likes of edelbrock (RIP, uncle vic!) isky, yunick, jenkins,
grabowski, poteet, sanford, taylor, etc... the icons of car culture and dyed in the wool real hotrodders.
and once again--maybe YOUR BBC was 'the worst of them all'. mine are always ridiculous, crazy fast but more importantly reliable as a rock and DRIVEABLE.

*EDIT* just wanted to add in--"anyone can restore a car, it takes a real man to cut one up" lil john buttera

and to remind you all of how rod sabury cut up a top flite 63 split vette to make a 8 second prostreeter.
his respnse to the naysyers? " its MY car. go build YOUR car how YOU want it"....

that is all, you guys can go back to sittin in yer rockin chairs sippin sweet tea and yellin at kids to git off yer lawn now.
i may or may not be back--this sure dont seem like my kinda place and i dont usually hang out where im not wanted. haters gonna hate,
i guess. no TRUE car guy would act the way y'all are, so.... see ya. wouldnt wanna be ya.

Edited by fatguyzinc 2017-09-21 6:13 PM
56D500boy
Posted 2017-09-21 6:14 PM (#548893 - in reply to #548892)

Expert 5K+

fatguyzinc - 2017-09-21 5:45 PM
wow...maybe i need to unjoin.

Yup. You nailed it. You are not going to get any love here with your plans to hack that nice 55 Belvie and add, gasp, a GM engine (FK NO!!).

Even before you made your reply, I was going to suggest that you should join the Jalopy Journal/HAMB:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

They will appreciate your talents and plans and give you some love, much more than we would here.

Good luck.

Edited by 56D500boy 2017-09-21 9:43 PM
LostDeere59
Posted 2017-09-21 9:14 PM (#548907 - in reply to #548892)

Extreme Veteran

wow...maybe i need to unjoin. i didnt realize what a bunch of self rightious pompus @$$e$
you all were here...let me try to answer in order the attacks--

not to worry, bro--aint my first rodeo by FAR. i got 20+ cars and 100's of motors. trans swaps, ring and pinions, lift, lower, tub, etc...under my belt.
i actually am an A.S.E. certified mechanic, and do EVERYTHING except bore the block and machine work myself. how many of you all can say that truthfully?

what ram said. imo it would be a shame to cut her up and use a chevy engine. these cars in that unmolested condition are getting rare, especially in 2d ht form. i suggest get it running drive it like it is or try to sell it to someone who appreciates original FL mopars

maybe you should sell YOUR car to a REAL car guy--one who appreciates ALL things automotive. take a look in the mirror lately?

actually, what the world needs is exactly that- more violent unruly gassers, and less preachy 'leave it stock because i dont like what youre going to do to YOUR car" types....

ME. dont like it? too bad--its MY car. you shpuld have flown your @$$ here to hawaii and bought it yourself if you thought it was so special
that it needed to be kept out of the hands of a rockbound redneck like me. pity....

you, sir, may be the only person to reply so far who "gets it". yes, it is my car and yes i will do as i like. thank you.
and no, i meant a foot of lift on the front to get the nose high stance ala "blasphemi'.....or SWC......

the point is ( as demonstrated by stone/woods/cook, mazmanian, coonrod, pitmann, and countless others) is--raw primal fearsome power.
maybe YOU cant make a tall straight axle car drive good on the street, but i can. "show", not fast? again, maybe YOUR cars are slow. mine arent. in fact
when we had a track here, EVERY time we went we got awarded-fastest street car. fastest car on street tires. fastest car that drove through the gates.
fastest car with mufflers...see a pattern there? and as for cool--i aint worried about that. those that seek to be 'cool' never are...
yes mopar made a few good engines (440 with mccandless 499 kit was a favorite of mine, actually...) but--i already HAVE the 468, muncie, tunnel ram, etc...
a true car freak does what he can with what hes got--its the time honored tradition pioneered by the likes of edelbrock (RIP, uncle vic!) isky, yunick, jenkins,
grabowski, poteet, sanford, taylor, etc... the icons of car culture and dyed in the wool real hotrodders.
and once again--maybe YOUR BBC was 'the worst of them all'. mine are always ridiculous, crazy fast but more importantly reliable as a rock and DRIVEABLE.

*EDIT* just wanted to add in--"anyone can restore a car, it takes a real man to cut one up" lil john buttera

and to remind you all of how rod sabury cut up a top flite 63 split vette to make a 8 second prostreeter.
his respnse to the naysyers? " its MY car. go build YOUR car how YOU want it"....

that is all, you guys can go back to sittin in yer rockin chairs sippin sweet tea and yellin at kids to git off yer lawn now.
i may or may not be back--this sure dont seem like my kinda place and i dont usually hang out where im not wanted. haters gonna hate,
i guess. no TRUE car guy would act the way y'all are, so.... see ya. wouldnt wanna be ya.

Dude, you came here looking for a fight, and you got exactly the response you wanted/expected.

I don't know about you, but when I check out a resource like a posting board I take some time to read a fair amount of the material posted, to gauge both it's relevance to my needs, and the tenor of the membership doing the posting.

For you to come to this board - which is clearly populated with members who are focused on restoration and mild modification of a very narrow group of vehicles - and throw your idea of confrontational and divisive taunting into your first or second post tells me that you need both a hobby, and probably an opportunity to move out of your parents basement.

Your follow up post, where you feel compelled to explain about the "dozens" of cars you've modified, as well as dropping names of respected vehicle customizers (as if knowing their names somehow imparts some legitimacy to your claims) simply highlights your insecurity. Frankly, all the guys I've met over the years who have actually done quality restorations, builds, hot rods, and a dozen other kinds of car art, don't feel the need to tell complete strangers on new posting boards about it. They let their body of work speak for itself.

And as far as your ASE certification - as someone who was ASE certified when you were probably still swimming around in your daddy's junk, and who undoubtedly has carried many times your level of certification for many years, I wonder what relevance you think that has on this board? Do you think those certifications make you better, smarter, or more skilled than anyone here? Because I assure you they don't. In my short tenure here I have learned more from these gentlemen of the hobby than in many years of association with most supposedly ASE "certified" techs.

This board could be a great resource for you and your project, the members here have decades of knowledge and experience, and while we all have our own opinions on what is an appropriate way to use/modify your car, you can rest assured that for every guy who believes you should do one thing, there are two who think you should do something else.

My advice - don't poke the badger. Don't be a dick. Give respect to get it - don't expect to be respected because you demand it.

Oh - and welcome to the board

Gregg
1960fury
Posted 2017-09-22 8:01 AM (#548933 - in reply to #548892)

Expert 5K+

maybe YOU cant make a tall straight axle car drive good on the street, but i can.

actually nothing more needs to be said to prove your ignorance. ever heard of unsprung weight? axle geometry? center of gravity? you can't make a straight gasser style car make go fast or "good" on the street, as its against the laws of physics.

yes, please unjoin. what did you expect? first bragging about what a nice car you found, low mileage and original, etc and anouncing its destruction with a chevy engine in the same breath? Again, what did you expect? this is a MOPAR forum dedicated o the preservation of FL cars. you just came here looking for trouble, to stir the pot. now unjoin. go ahead cut the car apart (in your hands its lost anyway) but don't tell us about it.

Edited by 1960fury 2017-09-22 8:09 AM
1960fury
Posted 2017-09-22 8:06 AM (#548934 - in reply to #548907)

Expert 5K+

LostDeere59 - 2017-09-21 9:14 PM

Dude, you came here looking for a fight, and you got exactly the response you wanted/expected.

Gregg

Exactly, i know this type of *******. Like the demolition derby chimps that post on old car sites about what they found and that its going to be destroyed soon. I do not know whats wrong with these people but they need some professional help.
jboymechanic
Posted 2017-09-22 2:08 PM (#548970 - in reply to #548835)

Expert

Well that escalated quickly...
Finsinthemirror
Posted 2017-09-22 5:55 PM (#548986 - in reply to #548970)

Elite Veteran

I'm on the HAMB and rarely have I seen guys on there encourage the destruction of a rare original car that could easier be restored than modified. I've never been a 100% purist guy but I do appreciate them. I'm the kind of dude that much prefers things that can be undone that don't permanently effect the car. Yep, your car.. true enough. I would encourage you to clean it up as nicely as possible, perhaps get it running/driving if it can be done with ease and sell it. You could double or triple your money fairly easily if it is a nice original car. If you're such a bad-ass builder as you claim it would be easier to find a suitable replacement and given your skill set, building a rougher car should be a cakewalk and you'd have a larger budget to work with as well. Thanks for sharing regardless..
1960fury
Posted 2017-09-23 7:27 AM (#549000 - in reply to #548835)

Expert 5K+

this car is one one of the few that survived 62 years. 62 years! and now that. i can't believe this. i agree, the hamb guys aren't going to welcome him either, most of them.
LostDeere59
Posted 2017-09-23 9:31 AM (#549005 - in reply to #549000)

Extreme Veteran

I suspect there is no car - just some desperately lonely but well read basement dwelling internet curmudgeon.

Gregg
56D500boy
Posted 2017-09-24 9:43 AM (#549044 - in reply to #548986)

Expert 5K+

I am guessing that he wanted to do something like this:

1960fury
Posted 2017-09-24 9:57 AM (#549046 - in reply to #549044)

Expert 5K+

56D500boy - 2017-09-24 9:43 AM

I am guessing that he wanted to do something like this:

yikes, and i bet hes gonna do it. i guess we will see this survivor car cut into pieces on ebay next year "great project but aint got time to finish" like the billions of cut up not finished "project" cars on ebay/CL in the past. anyway, that car is already lost.

Edited by 1960fury 2017-09-24 9:57 AM
Ev's62Chrysler
Posted 2017-09-24 10:13 AM (#549049 - in reply to #548835)

Veteran

He found a home.

https://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum/bangshift/project-cars-update/...
56D500boy
Posted 2017-09-24 10:49 AM (#549053 - in reply to #549049)

Expert 5K+

Ev's62Chrysler - 2017-09-24 10:13 AM He found a home.
https://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum/bangshift/project-cars-update/...

No. He started that thread on Bangshift on Sept. 13th. He came here on the 21st. Maybe he thought he'd get more love here. (WRONG)

Edited by 56D500boy 2017-09-24 10:50 AM
1960fury
Posted 2017-09-24 11:34 AM (#549061 - in reply to #548835)

Expert 5K+

and read what he wrote on bangshift.... this make me even more cringe. he "builds" a gasser to show his brother(?) that he can get more thumbs up or something with less money spend.... another car lost because of a nitwit with a weak ego seeking attention:

"so as usual, im going to show him how its done for pennies on the dollar
and turn this ol girl out for under $8500 if possible , or under $10K for sure.
and i guarantee i will get just as many if not more looks and comments as
he does"

Edited by 1960fury 2017-09-24 11:36 AM
1961plymouthfury
Posted 2017-09-26 3:11 PM (#549214 - in reply to #548835)

Expert

Welcome to the Forward look and good luck with your restoration project
soiouz
Posted 2017-09-27 12:17 PM (#549271 - in reply to #549214)

Expert

1961plymouthfury - 2017-09-26 3:11 PM

Welcome to the Forward look and good luck with your restoration project

You're joking, right?
1960fury
Posted 2017-09-27 1:36 PM (#549277 - in reply to #548835)

Expert 5K+

a good one.
1961plymouthfury
Posted 2017-09-27 5:27 PM (#549300 - in reply to #548835)

Expert

Did I say something to upset some one here on the site ? If I did it was not intentional.

Edited by 1961plymouthfury 2017-09-27 10:11 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)