The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hard Starting 315 Hemi -12V neg ground system
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2018-03-13 8:42 PM (#559843 - in reply to #559832)
Subject: Re: Hard Starting 315 Hemi -12V neg ground system

Expert

ronbo97 - 2018-03-13 5:34 PM
Did you get the starter rebuilt ? Ron

Stupidly no. Initially I thought that I would have to get car up on ramps to get the starter off and the logistics of doing that in my tiny 1942-era single car garage are impossible. So I did nothing.

However, I had to take the left front wheel off (and drum) to play with the center-plane brake shoes (not enough lube on the web) and while I had the wheel off, I realized that I had good access to the starter bolts. And still I did nothing.

Finally, when installed the new starter cable the other day, I finally put a wrench (5/8") on the two bolts/nuts and tested them (they will come off). So I was *very* close to taking it off. BUT I didn't. Two (lame) reasons:

1. I finally understand the need for the bent "starter" wrench - neither a socket or a straight box end will work on the forward bolt/nut.

Where is Sears when I need them?

2. I rationalized that I should wait until I see if the issue was the old starter cable.

In the meantime, I asked my neighbour if he could score 4 inches of 1/2" diameter adhesive heat shrink from his sources. He said why not use the self-sealing silicone tape? I laughed. Yup. That would work. And I have some in my Audi tool box. "Rescue Tape".

Edited by 56D500boy 2018-03-13 8:45 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)