The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

56 Dodge - Inspection Panel Removal, Rehab and Replacement
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2017-10-17 3:53 PM (#550489)
Subject: 56 Dodge - Inspection Panel Removal, Rehab and Replacement

Expert 5K+

Based on some of the comments I got on my Footwell Rehab thread, I decided yesterday that I better remove and rehab the inspection panel.

After a biblical deluge of rain this AM the storm passed and heavens turned glorious sunny blue. So out to the garage I went.

I finished removing the required 7/16" head screws that hold the panel to the body, the carpet holding strip and the steering column cover (so I could slide the big rubber steering coloumn grommet away from the inspection panel. Almost there. Had to remove the windshield washer foot pump (one big nut and a clip that holds the pedal to the shaft).

Then the inspection panel came out no problem. Very little rust. One small spot on the panel. No perforations on the body portion. Back of the panel mostly undercoat-covered.

I compared the OE panel to an aftermarket panel and for now, found the aftermarket panel lacking (missing /correct holes, bends not bent smoothly or enough), etc. I did trial the new panel but decided to reuse the old panel for now.

So I will be cleaning up the OE panel, the body lip, doing some rust converting, painting, truck bed liner spraying, etc. before the panel goes back on. I will have to figure out what caulking/sealant to use.

Other things to do while I am there include cleaning up the top of the frame and rust-painting it (semi-gloss black), cleaning up the windshield washer pump and playing with the gas pedal. Definitely need the gasket for it.

Where I stopped the other day:

Some photos from this AM:

Edited by 56D500boy 2017-10-17 4:01 PM

(DaveFs56CRD500InspectionPanelOff.jpg)

(56DodgeInspectionPanelsOEonLeftAndAfterMarketOnRight.jpg)

(56DodgeInspectionPanelsOEonLeftAndAfterMarketOnRightBackSide.jpg)

(56DodgeOEInspectionPanelDetailAtFirewall.jpg)

(56DodgeAftermarketInspectionPanelDetailAtFirewall.jpg)

(56DodgeAftermarketInspectionPanelTrialFitNot100%.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DaveFs56CRD500InspectionPanelOff.jpg (159KB - 250 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeInspectionPanelsOEonLeftAndAfterMarketOnRight.jpg (224KB - 247 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeInspectionPanelsOEonLeftAndAfterMarketOnRightBackSide.jpg (247KB - 270 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeOEInspectionPanelDetailAtFirewall.jpg (243KB - 249 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeAftermarketInspectionPanelDetailAtFirewall.jpg (223KB - 246 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeAftermarketInspectionPanelTrialFitNot100%.jpg (140KB - 252 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ronbo97
Posted 2017-10-17 10:03 PM (#550516 - in reply to #550489)
Subject: RE: 56 Dodge - Inspection Panel Removal, Rehab and Replacement

Expert

Your original looks usable. Strip it. Sand blast it. Paint it with POR-15 or Bill Hirsh Miracle Paint. Then top coat it with whatever color you want while the rust sealer is still tacky.

Note that in addition to all the problems that the repro panel has, it is missing the transmission cable retainer clip on the bottom. If you want an accurate reproduction, you need to go to a sheet metal fabricator that has a bead roller. The repro stuff is cheap junk.

Ron

56D500boy
Posted 2017-10-17 11:01 PM (#550520 - in reply to #550516)

Expert 5K+

ronbo97 - 2017-10-17 10:03 PM

Your original looks usable. Strip it. Sand blast it. Paint it with POR-15 or Bill Hirsh Miracle Paint. Then top coat it with whatever color you want while the rust sealer is still tacky.

Note that in addition to all the problems that the repro panel has, it is missing the transmission cable retainer clip on the bottom. If you want an accurate reproduction, you need to go to a sheet metal fabricator that has a bead roller. The repro stuff is cheap junk.

Ron

I guess you missed the part where I said that I was going to reuse the OE panel and save the Repro panel (for the next owner - after I pass)

56D500boy - 2017-10-17 3:53 PM
So I will be cleaning up the OE panel, the body lip, doing some rust converting, painting, truck bed liner spraying, etc. before the panel goes back on. I will have to figure out what caulking/sealant to use.

I've just cleaned it up a bit, especially the lip. Applied Rust Converter as needed and sprayed the bottom side with Rustoleum Bed Liner. It will be fine.

56D500boy
Posted 2017-10-19 8:26 PM (#550637 - in reply to #550520)

Expert 5K+

So I removed the aftermarket inspection panel and used a Sharpy to mark on it the issues that will need to be resolved *IF* it is ever actually used.

Then I cleaned up the edge of the opening (and a few other spots) with a wire cup brush on my drill. Then I generously applied Rust Converter on the exposed areas in question and let that dry overnight. Then I painted those areas with Rustoleum Professional Grade (dries fast) gloss gray rust paint and let that dry over night (aided by a 1500 watt ceramic space heater blowing into that footwell). Today I laid the original inspection panel over the opening and applied the first coat of Rustoleum brand spray-on bedliner. After drying overnight I will apply another coat and let that dry before starting to apply Dynamat and Eastwood foam core X-mat strategically, i.e. no foam core where my feet will be but on the firewall, etc.

Today's photos (starting with the BEFORE photo after the inspection panel was first removed a few days ago - which happens to show the original paint - They painted the body in the dark blue and then painted the light blue over that - I guess):

Edited by 56D500boy 2017-10-19 9:13 PM

(DaveFs56CRD500InspectionPanelOff.jpg)

(DaveFs56CRD500InspectionPanelOffBodyEdgeCleanedRustConvertedAndPainted.jpg)

(DaveFs56CRD500InspectionPanelBackOnTemporarilyReadyForBedLiner.jpg)

(DaveFs56CRD500InspectionPanelBackOnTemporarilyAfterFirstCoatOfBedLiner.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DaveFs56CRD500InspectionPanelOff.jpg (159KB - 244 downloads)
Attachments DaveFs56CRD500InspectionPanelOffBodyEdgeCleanedRustConvertedAndPainted.jpg (140KB - 247 downloads)
Attachments DaveFs56CRD500InspectionPanelBackOnTemporarilyReadyForBedLiner.jpg (153KB - 250 downloads)
Attachments DaveFs56CRD500InspectionPanelBackOnTemporarilyAfterFirstCoatOfBedLiner.jpg (241KB - 270 downloads)
mikes2nd
Posted 2017-10-19 9:14 PM (#550640 - in reply to #550489)
Subject: Re: 56 Dodge - Inspection Panel Removal, Rehab and Replacement

Expert 5K+

repop looks almost usable almost.

You only need a bead roller to make your own.

I bought one for my 57 dodge, I will probably use it because I don't want to buy a bead roller. It will work
56D500boy
Posted 2017-10-19 10:29 PM (#550642 - in reply to #550640)

Expert 5K+

mikes2nd - 2017-10-19 9:14 PM repop looks almost usable almost.
You only need a bead roller to make your own.
I bought one for my 57 dodge, I will probably use it because I don't want to buy a bead roller. It will work

The next owner of my car can install that repop panel if they want.

For now the original panel is perfectly serviceable and is now protected much better than it has been in the past 61 years.

It's a bit more than just sheet metal and a bead roller. There is that gusset and flange at the top (not executed that well) that has to be made.

Edited by 56D500boy 2017-10-19 10:31 PM
56D500boy
Posted 2017-10-26 9:08 PM (#551134 - in reply to #550642)

Expert 5K+

When I got done with the installation of the new gas pedal (for today, I need to get a new 7/16" nut for the stud on the back of the pedal tomorrow), I carried on with the plan, i.e. Dynamat on the floor where feet are and Eastwood X-mat up above on the firewall. Must remember to where gloves when working with the Dynamat - got two cuts that didn't bleed but are stinging now. I applied the Dynamat first and then the X-mat over it. The X-mat is like a cheap Dynamat (butyl and foil but thinner) plus a foam sound insulation and another very thin foil (water proofing than anything). I did the inspection panel as a separate piece on purpose. Tomorrow when I have the car out of the garage, I will carry on with Dynamat on the front floor and X-mat above it on the firewall section. I will do the same on the front passenger foot well. The rear will likely just get the X-mat.

Photos from today:

(56DodgeNewGasPedalInPlaceBesideRehabbedInspectionPlate.jpg)

(56DodgeRehabbedInspectionPanelWIthLowerSectionCoveredWithDynamat.jpg)

(56DodgeRehabbedInspectionPanelWIthLowerSectionCoveredWithDynamatAndUpperWithEastwoodXMat.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 56DodgeNewGasPedalInPlaceBesideRehabbedInspectionPlate.jpg (224KB - 257 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeRehabbedInspectionPanelWIthLowerSectionCoveredWithDynamat.jpg (233KB - 253 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeRehabbedInspectionPanelWIthLowerSectionCoveredWithDynamatAndUpperWithEastwoodXMat.jpg (169KB - 254 downloads)
56D500boy
Posted 2018-03-19 8:36 PM (#560175 - in reply to #551134)
Subject: Further Adventures of Make TooMuchWorkForHimselfBoy

Expert 5K+

I don't know when I figured out that I wanted to put a rubber gasket on the underside of my 56 Dodge's inspection panel, but I know I didn't like the hap-hazard way that the OE "dust gasket" fit around the steering column and didn't seem to seal out very much. Since I am putting in new carpet, I want to make sure that I am sealing out water, dust, noise and engine fumes, etc. Anyway, the idea stuck and despite obstacles and the desire to abandon the idea part way through, I persisted yesterday and today and now have it to the 90% stage.

I started with a 3" rubber roofing stack flashing. I cut the flashing down to a manageable size and then started more detailed cuts and trimmings. While this would work better if you removed the steering column. However, since that is never going to happen, I had to put a slit in the flashing to get it around the steering column. I decided against putting the slit at the top or bottom and went with the left side. It might work better on the right side but I don't think so.

Once I got the first piece of flashing trimmed to its basic size, I used 3M trim adhesive (spray contact cement) to attach the lower part of the first piece to the inspection panel, leaving the top flap loose so I could manipulate it around the column. I left that over night under some weights to make sure that it adhered to the inspection panel.

This AM I went out and bought another stack flashing to harvest more material to cover the horizontal section of the inspection panel. Same rough sizing, trimming and gluing game. Before the glue was real dry I used an old fashioned hole punch to punch appropriate holes in the rubber so the attachment screws can pass through. Because the inspection panel is above the left exhaust pipe, I added strips of mylar "chrome" tape to reflect back any extra heat.

Then I test fit the panel (again) and cut out a section of the top loose portion of the gasket so the bump on the back side of the OE dust gasket could pass through the gasket and clip to the edge of the firewall. Then I remembered to install the foot-operated windshield washer pump, in this case a NOS pump that I bought recently of eBay (as a complete kit, including all hoses and the "Jiffy" bag). I also remembered to add the new washer pump hose (but that could have been done from the top too).

Then I installed the panel. This involved getting that loose flap over the top of the steering column and pulled as far to the left as possible. This didn't happen correctly on the first try but eventually I got it in the correct (enough) position. Then I used an awl to tweak the position of the panel so all the holes lined up before I installed new hardware (with some of the OE screws).

Because this is a trial and error type install, I ended up cutting a bit too much out of the center of the flashing, leaving the exact same gap that I was trying to eliminate (enter IRONIC comment here). Not to worry. Before I install the OE dust gasket, I am going to fill the cavity with spray urethane foam which I will use sparingly and trim the excess after it cures. Before I do that I will have to adjust the loose flap a bit from the engine bay side and tape it place.

I took a photo from under the car which shows the full coverage gasket and the mylar tape protection. I think it will work fine (enough). If not, I tried something new and different.

Edited by 56D500boy 2018-03-19 8:53 PM

(56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_1.jpg)

(56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_2.jpg)

(56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_3.jpg)

(56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_4.jpg)

(56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_5.jpg)

(56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_6.jpg)

(56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_7.jpg)

(56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_8.jpg)

(56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_9.jpg)

(56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_10.jpg)

(56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_11.jpg)

(56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_12.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_1.jpg (98KB - 224 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_2.jpg (97KB - 221 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_3.jpg (144KB - 224 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_4.jpg (147KB - 227 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_5.jpg (210KB - 216 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_6.jpg (198KB - 218 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_7.jpg (198KB - 217 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_8.jpg (149KB - 240 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_9.jpg (175KB - 212 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_10.jpg (174KB - 235 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_11.jpg (123KB - 205 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeInspectionPanelGasket_12.jpg (150KB - 202 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)