The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dry Lifters
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

Powerflite
Posted 2018-03-14 7:59 PM (#559904)
Subject: Dry Lifters

Expert 5K+

The lifters in the 325 poly motor in my '58 Coronet are really noisy. They have been ever since I got the motor running. I have put about 7K miles on it this way. Yesterday, I noticed that the oil was over-full and smelled like gasoline. I have recently been having trouble with the carburetor dumping fuel down the intake, so I believe that's what caused it - by slipping past the rings. And I pulled the original style fuel pump and didn't notice anything wrong with it. So I am converting the motor to run a 4bbl carb & intake to eliminate the problem & upgrade the performance.

But upon inspection of the lifters, they look really dry. I seriously doubt that any oil is getting into here. I have taken the rocker shafts apart and cleaned them out, along with the top of the heads at one point, but I didn't do anything else to the motor. I hate to even touch anything in this valley because there is a thick scale that crumbles up just from touching it. Maybe I could use a shop vac in here to get rid of it. I am thinking that all this scale has accumulated in the oil passages and clogged them up. Assuming that is the case in the entire motor, how do I unplug them? I could probably run a cleaner down from under the rocker shaft to the cam, but if the passage is blocked from the crank to the cam, it probably won't do any good. Also, I don't know if it would drain back into the lifters enough to keep them lubricated sufficiently. What about draining the oil and filling it with a solvent of some kind. Then turn it over without the coil actuated to get the solvent to dissolve it all??? Sounds risky to the bearings, but I am willing to give anything a shot. Anyone tackled something like this before? I really don't want to pull the motor. If I pull it, I would probably install a 354 or 392 hemi instead and I might as well run it till it dies in that case.

(Dry Lifters.jpg)

(Dodge-Plym Poly Oil Flow.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Dry Lifters.jpg (240KB - 140 downloads)
Attachments Dodge-Plym Poly Oil Flow.jpg (151KB - 163 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Powerflite
Posted 2018-03-15 12:20 AM (#559922 - in reply to #559904)
Subject: Re: Dry Lifters

Expert 5K+

This turned out to be a false alarm. The reason why it looked dry is because of the gasoline that is in the oil. It caused it to dry out. When I turned the motor over, oil did come out of the lifter holes. But these lifters look like they are shot. There is a lot of play on the insides of them so that the centers wobble around. That isn't normal right? At least my new lifters don't do that. So I am planning on replacing them with new ones. There isn't any issue with putting new lifters on an old cam right?
56D500boy
Posted 2018-03-15 1:52 AM (#559924 - in reply to #559922)

Expert 5K+

Powerflite - 2018-03-15 12:20 AM
This turned out to be a false alarm. The reason why it looked dry is because of the gasoline that is in the oil. It caused it to dry out. When I turned the motor over, oil did come out of the lifter holes.

Well that is good news.

I was going to say two things:

1. If it was me, I would try cleaning out that gallery by first plugging the visible oiling holes with Q-tips cut in half (with the cotton bit in the hole and shaft sticking out) or pipe cleaners. Then I would get out the shop vac and an old flat blade screw driver and start scraping and vacuuming as much as possible. Then I would spray it down with carb cleaner (or something similarly nasty) and start wiping the residual up with paper towels and then repeating with more cleaner and new paper towels until it was "spic and span".

2. Then I would remove the Q-tips from the oiling holes and the coil wire from the distributor and have somebody turn the ignition to "START" and keep the engine cranking and the oil pump pumping until you saw oil coming out of all the oiling holes. Those that weren't flowing would have to be probed perhaps with old fashioned pipe cleaners (aka "Chenille Stems")

Then I would change the oil to clean uncontaminated oil and repeat in order to flush out the oiling galleries, etc. and get good oil going everywhere.

Creatologyâ„¢ Chenille Stems, 100 Count at Michaels http://canada.michaels.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-MichaelsCanada...

Edited by 56D500boy 2018-03-15 1:53 AM
wayfarer
Posted 2018-03-15 9:50 AM (#559931 - in reply to #559904)

Elite Veteran

What you see in the valley will be the same everywhere else, including inside of the oil galleys and the oil pan....this is the main concern. There is likely alot of crap built up on the
oil pump intake screen. Since you have already been running a 'solvent' (gas) mix with the oil then the soft stuff has likely been disolved and is now part of the oil to be drained.
Definately vacuum out the big chunks as you find them. You could run a mix of diesel and oil for awhile to try and further flush the soft junk but there is always the danger of
flushing too much crap into the pan and completely blocking the pickup screen. The pan needs to come off.
LostDeere59
Posted 2018-03-15 12:54 PM (#559942 - in reply to #559931)

Extreme Veteran

Way back in the late 80's and early 90's we were having a lot of problems on GM V-8s with oil sludge build-up in the tops of the cylinder heads clogging the returns, leading to excessive oil consumption (valve seals/guides submerged) and severe leakage at the valve cover gaskets. This was common on small Chevy and the Olds motors at the time.

It was not uncommon to spend an hour or two with coat hangers and carb cleaner getting the drain passages open. I had 2 (that I recall) Chevy's that were getting cams, and oil pumps, which meant the intake, valve covers, and oil pans would be coming off. On those cars I actually pressure washed the engines inside and out once the intake, valve covers, cam and valvetrain, and oil pans were removed.

It was a bit messy, but the results were good. It helped that the pressure washer we had at the time was a heated unit.

Gregg
christine-lover
Posted 2018-03-15 3:55 PM (#559949 - in reply to #559942)

Expert

LostDeere59 - 2018-03-15 12:54 PM

Way back in the late 80's and early 90's we were having a lot of problems on GM V-8s with oil sludge build-up in the tops of the cylinder heads clogging the returns, leading to excessive oil consumption (valve seals/guides submerged) and severe leakage at the valve cover gaskets. This was common on small Chevy and the Olds motors at the time.

Gregg

We're still having problems with them, but now it's mostly piston/ring related. BTW, I've used straight ATF as a cleaner agent on some engines with success.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)