The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

help please.....adding P.B. to drum brakes
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

jerrybev
Posted 2018-03-21 11:52 PM (#560282)
Subject: help please.....adding P.B. to drum brakes

Elite Veteran

on a 56 plymouth, I am adding power brakes by using an 8" new dual diaphragm master cylinder power brake unit for 1955-60 cheys. It is a common street rod booster unit, a universal model. Result is weak pedal. With normal braking, it is OK, but if I press pedal hard, as in an emergency, pedal goes all the way to the floor and I have no brakes. Two thoughts have been suggested to me.
1. Plymouth supplied a 2 arm swing out tool, back in the day, to seat properly the brake shoes to the wheel cylinders. We don't have that. Someone else said, you don't need that, they said my problem is:
2. the modern master cylinder that street rodders use is built to be used with disc brakes, not drum brakes.
thank you for any advice based on your actual experience.
Jerry Whitfield
Winston Salem, NC
Top of the page Bottom of the page
58coupe
Posted 2018-03-22 11:40 AM (#560296 - in reply to #560282)
Subject: Re: help please.....adding P.B. to drum brakes

Expert

You may need to change the ratio on the brake pedal. IOW drill another hole in the pedal arm lower, farther away from the pivot point to give more travel. It was common to use a different pedal ratio on cars with power brakes, not sure about yours.
57chizler
Posted 2018-03-22 12:51 PM (#560305 - in reply to #560282)
Subject: RE: help please.....adding P.B. to drum brakes

Expert

I agree on the pedal ratio, manual brake FL's typically had a pedal ratio of 6:1 or 8:1, power brakes need a ratio of 4:1.

The MC typically used with the aftermarket boosters lacks residual pressure valves (RPV), with drum brakes you need to add a 10 psi RPV to both the front and rear brake circuits.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)