The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Molded carpet myth. Solved by Chrysler promo video itself...
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

wizard
Posted 2019-01-03 10:36 AM (#576190 - in reply to #561665)
Subject: Re: Molded carpet myth. Solved by Chrysler promo video itself...

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Yes Sid, the old carpet is packed up in my attic, it still held up the shape good after all those years.

I've just moved and cleaned up all posts related to '60 carpet to this thread for future reference
Top of the page Bottom of the page
hemidenis
Posted 2019-01-03 9:57 PM (#576226 - in reply to #561665)

Expert

Yes it is actually a very helpful picture for me, brought me memories of the problems I had while restoring mine.

I just don't get it Sid, any rotten carpet is original and mine it is not, I told you many times how the factory achieved the shape but you just keep skipping my explanation in your head for "this carpet is too nice to be an original" it is fake.

Gosh how much I love the Chrysler video.

1960fury
Posted 2019-01-04 8:18 AM (#576244 - in reply to #576226)

Expert 5K+

hemidenis - 2019-01-03 9:57 PM

Yes it is actually a very helpful picture for me, brought me memories of the problems I had while restoring mine.

I just don't get it Sid, any rotten carpet is original and mine it is not,

I'm beginning to think this is an intellectual problem.

A-G-A-I-N, I never claimed your carpet is not original, and please read that again and again until you got it. All I said they used molded carpets in 1960, as 1960 Chrysler literature and Svens and my pictures proof.

1960fury - 2018-12-30 8:55 AM

I do not think your carpet is original (looks way too nice for that) but even if it is, you simply can't say these cars didn't have molded carpets because yours isn't.

Since you claimed your carpet is not molded and it looks like new I was just GUESSING it is not OE, since they used molded carpets in 1960 for a fact. I'm still assuming it is not OE, IF it is not molded and I wonder why you refuse to send any close up pictures.....

Got it now?

We exchanged many PM's over the years and when you implied that my pictures are not from my car or faked and I misrepresent things (Why should I do that? I'm not selling molded carpets!) I thought I can't trust my eyes when I read that. Boy....

Edited by 1960fury 2019-01-04 8:37 AM
1960fury
Posted 2019-01-04 8:34 AM (#576248 - in reply to #561709)

Expert 5K+

Mike McCandless - 2018-04-16 7:27 AM

People are very angry over carpet

We should have remembered that thread and shoudn't have mentioned "carpet" in a Forum Denis is active in......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w23oPQdnNH8

Edited by 1960fury 2019-01-04 8:46 AM
wizard
Posted 2019-01-04 10:14 AM (#576252 - in reply to #561665)

There is a method that works for to cold form carpet, but the hump is next to impossible to shape correctly without the cut and sew….
AS you can see in the thread, the carpet is cold formed and glued to the jute padding with the aid of wet sea sand sacks.

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17783&...

56D500boy
Posted 2019-01-04 11:27 AM (#576256 - in reply to #576252)

Expert 5K+

wizard - 2019-01-04 10:14 AM

There is a method that works for to cold form carpet, but the hump is next to impossible to shape correctly without the cut and sew….
AS you can see in the thread, the carpet is cold formed and glued to the jute padding with the aid of wet sea sand sacks.

www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17783&posts=6&highlight=%3Cspan%20class='highlight'%3Ecarpet%3C/span%3E&highlightmode=1#M107383

Oh my. Even one of the moderators didn't remember to make sure that the http:// was there and hit enter after posting his link (Sorry Sven, it's my pet peeve)

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17783&...

wizard
Posted 2019-01-04 11:40 AM (#576257 - in reply to #561665)

Thanks' Dave, strange, as normally once the complete link is copied and an enter done - it should show. Just tried again, but, no....
AND then suddenly, 3'rd try it worked????
hemidenis
Posted 2019-01-04 3:49 PM (#576272 - in reply to #561665)

Expert

Sid, what are you are tell me about the carpets is like me arguing about the Wilwood brakes with you, brakes that I never installed in any of my cars. I'm arguing about how those brakes are not working and you are telling me they do. I'm telling you about brake fluid pressures that I never measure, telling you about how the aluminum calipers are going to overheat and i never measure temperatures, all that just looking and the brakes, brakes that I never actually worked on....Well, that is exactly what are you doing.

I'm telling you very clear right now, that I'm pretty sure theses carpets were installed from a roll directly on the car but I'm not sure, what I'm absolutely sure is that these carpets were never pre-formed in any shape or form, they went directly from a box to the car.... If you can tell me the method of you think theses carpets were molded please speak up. By the same token I can tell you my theories about the Wilwood brakes, and please believe my assumptions.
1960fury
Posted 2019-01-04 5:21 PM (#576277 - in reply to #576272)

Expert 5K+

hemidenis - 2019-01-04 3:49 PM

Sid, what are you are tell me about the carpets is like me arguing about the Wilwood brakes with you, brakes that I never installed in any of my cars. I'm arguing about how those brakes are not working and you are telling me they do. I'm telling you about brake fluid pressures that I never measure, telling you about how the aluminum calipers are going to overheat and i never measure temperatures, all that just looking and the brakes, brakes that I never actually worked on....Well, that is exactly what are you doing.

I'm telling you very clear right now, that I'm pretty sure theses carpets were installed from a roll directly on the car but I'm not sure, what I'm absolutely sure is that these carpets were never pre-formed in any shape or form, they went directly from a box to the car.... If you can tell me the method of you think theses carpets were molded please speak up. By the same token I can tell you my theories about the Wilwood brakes, and please believe my assumptions.

Are you kidding me? It is actually the other way around.

AGAIN, I didn't say YOUR carpet is this or that. It is only you with these claims.

I only KNOW that MY carpetS are molded, like the original literature confirms. When I pulled the OE carpet out of my 60 Fury 30 years ago the remains retained their shape outside of the car, no way to flatten it. There is no way to install a heavy carpet like that from a roll directly on a 60 floor pan without lots of wrinkles.
And even if there was such a material that would mold itself over a floor pan easily on the assembly line, it is still a molded carpet. Regardless if the molding was done in or outside of the car, it is a molded carpet. Got it?

I still have the OE carpets and I posted detailed pictures from the Adventurer, Svens picture shows the molded carpet even better.

And btw, I'm driving and restoring these cars for over 30 years, why do you believe you are THE authority? How many original 60/61s have you restored?
And why do YOU think that you know more about my cars and other members cars? Again, it's only you who says, contrary sales literature and other members experience, it is got to be this way because YOU say so. You are either kidding me, or you have a mental problem.

That you are "pretty sure" means nothing and is no proof or law that is has to be the way you think it was. Learn to live with it. Good bye.

Edited by 1960fury 2019-01-05 8:54 AM
hemidenis
Posted 2019-01-05 11:31 AM (#576304 - in reply to #561665)

Expert

Ok I see, that you agree with me little by little when it is no other way around. At this pace we are going to be talking about the same thing. Ha! I told you that I'm going to let you answer your own questions.

Sid: "There is no way to install a heavy carpet like that from a roll directly on a 60 floor pan without lots of wrinkles"
Answer: again look at the Chrysler video, I'm assured you I didn't fake it.

Sid: "And even if there was such a material that would mold itself over a floor pan easily on the assembly line, it is still a molded carpet"
Answer: I never said that the cars floors were flat, did I?

Sid: How many original 60/61s have you restored?
Answer : one 61 Newport, and I own a 61 New yorker that is and original 42k miles and not need restoring, besides I have been in Carlisle, PA for 17 years, looked and documented hundred of survivors and spoke to hundred of owners and the top restorers in the country. Walked hundred of miles in swap meets digging thousand of boxes with NOS parts that you can only see in pictured posted by others. I can safely tell you that I know a bit, just a bit about theses cars.

Sid: "it's only you who says, contrary sales literature and other members experience"
Answer: Is understandably your asseveration, If i was restoring a BMW and Mercedes Benz, sales literature and brochures is all I will have, since those cars are even less rare in the US than FL cars are rare in Germany.

Sid: "That you are "pretty sure" means nothing and is no proof"
answer: exactly, a picture of a carpet don't tell you how is made or the material composition, it can give you a sense or an idea, as a picture of a car will tell you no much about the true condition until you take it apart and do a deep investigation. Don't believe at pictures before buying and exporting a car right?

Keep talking and you will agree more and more with me.. I have not know mental problem, except maybe paying a ridiculous amount of money for NOS Mopar parts, just to know how they look. Have you any NOS parts or just made assumptions from brochures?

1960fury
Posted 2019-01-05 3:24 PM (#576312 - in reply to #576304)

Expert 5K+

hemidenis - 2019-01-05 11:31 AM

Ok I see, that you agree with me little by little when it is no other way around. At this pace we are going to be talking about the same thing. Ha! I told you that I'm going to let you answer your own questions.

Sid: "There is no way to install a heavy carpet like that from a roll directly on a 60 floor pan without lots of wrinkles"
Answer: again look at the Chrysler video, I'm assured you I didn't fake it.

Sid: "And even if there was such a material that would mold itself over a floor pan easily on the assembly line, it is still a molded carpet"
Answer: I never said that the cars floors were flat, did I?

Sid: How many original 60/61s have you restored?
Answer : one 61 Newport, and I own a 61 New yorker that is and original 42k miles and not need restoring, besides I have been in Carlisle, PA for 17 years, looked and documented hundred of survivors and spoke to hundred of owners and the top restorers in the country. Walked hundred of miles in swap meets digging thousand of boxes with NOS parts that you can only see in pictured posted by others. I can safely tell you that I know a bit, just a bit about theses cars.

Sid: "it's only you who says, contrary sales literature and other members experience"
Answer: Is understandably your asseveration, If i was restoring a BMW and Mercedes Benz, sales literature and brochures is all I will have, since those cars are even less rare in the US than FL cars are rare in Germany.

Sid: "That you are "pretty sure" means nothing and is no proof"
answer: exactly, a picture of a carpet don't tell you how is made or the material composition, it can give you a sense or an idea, as a picture of a car will tell you no much about the true condition until you take it apart and do a deep investigation. Don't believe at pictures before buying and exporting a car right?

Keep talking and you will agree more and more with me.. I have not know mental problem, except maybe paying a ridiculous amount of money for NOS Mopar parts, just to know how they look. Have you any NOS parts or just made assumptions from brochures?

I do not agree with you at all. This is now the xxx time you claim that I said something that I didn't. Please stop it. Do you realize that everything that has been posted can be reread? So lying is pretty senseless.

Your statement was: Mopar did not use molded carpets in 60/61. And this is plain wrong. I, on the other hand, never claimed ALL 60/61 Mopar carpets were molded. I just know some were, as I have them here in front of me.

I looked at the video, what is that suppose to proof?

Even -IF- that pre-production car carpet is not molded, it does not mean the production cars carpets were all not molded. Is that difficult to understand?

So even if that video was showing definitely a carpet that hasn't been molded, which it doesn't, it is no proof and this seems to be your only "proof" vs Chrysler literature and my and other members molded OE carpets.

Who claimed that you wrote floor pans are flat? And what has that to do with the sentence you quoted me? Huh?

I have no, what you believe, NOS carpet. But I have seen plenty of OE (Original Equipment) carpets and I have 2 here and I posted close up pictures of one, something that you refuse to do.

Here is some information for you: NOS does not necessarly mean like OE (production). It can be a product from years after the model year it was made for. So if you have a OE part and a NOS part, only the OE part documents truly an actuall production item.

Nothing more needs to be said. The members who followed this thread will know what to do if they want to restore a 60/61 to factory specs.

Edited by 1960fury 2019-01-05 4:11 PM
hemidenis
Posted 2019-01-05 5:30 PM (#576319 - in reply to #561665)

Expert

you are complicating things to the point that i don't understand your position, and please stop making assumptions of things you and nobody else is sure of.

"maybe yours was not molded, but mine and others are, the prototype car it is not proof" bla bla bla.

See you keep made conjectures of things, you can not say some car did it and others didn't with out proof, you can not talk about the prototype either, since you don't know if the car in the video is one. (Ask Wizard)

I can tell you right now that the carpet I have was flat as a piece of glass, 0.1 seconds before touched my floor pan in October 1960, same as yours, Wizard and any other FL car I saw so far. I have samples of 61 Windsor, 61 Newport, 61 New Yorker and 1959 Imperial, which by the way it is a different style.

It was about 1972 the earliest pre-molded carpet I saw so far, but it could be even earlier I DONT KNOW FOR SURE FURTHER THAN 61.

But to clarify this and clear all other thoughts, according to you the carpet in your car looked something similar to this picture before was installed right? a Pre-molded carpet...

Please don't run away when the boat is sinking..

Edited by hemidenis 2019-01-05 5:32 PM

(s-l500.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments s-l500.jpg (15KB - 172 downloads)
1960fury
Posted 2019-01-05 6:25 PM (#576323 - in reply to #576319)

Expert 5K+

hemidenis - 2019-01-05 5:30 PM

you are complicating things to the point that i don't understand your position, and please stop making assumptions of things you and nobody else is sure of.

"maybe yours was not molded, but mine and others are, the prototype car it is not proof" bla bla bla.

See you keep made conjectures of things, you can not say some car did it and others didn't with out proof, you can not talk about the prototype either, since you don't know if the car in the video is one. (Ask Wizard)

I can tell you right now that the carpet I have was flat as a piece of glass, 0.1 seconds before touched my floor pan in October 1960, same as yours, Wizard and any other FL car I saw so far. I have samples of 61 Windsor, 61 Newport, 61 New Yorker and 1959 Imperial, which by the way it is a different style.

It was about 1972 the earliest pre-molded carpet I saw so far, but it could be even earlier I DONT KNOW FOR SURE FURTHER THAN 61.

But to clarify this and clear all other thoughts, according to you the carpet in your car looked something similar to this picture before was installed right? a Pre-molded carpet...

Please don't run away when the boat is sinking..

Who is running away? Which boat is sinking? AGAIN, you are claiming things I never said. I never said (quote Denis ) "some car did it and others didn't". AGAIN, stop quoting me things I never said.
I simply can't know how every car rolled of the assembly line, production changes were common. And you can't know it either, yet, you are claiming it here. This is just ridiculous.

What is up with you? Again, every post can be reread and reread and all the BS you posted is here for everyone to see. Are you aware of that? Now, without arguments and again proof you claiming "my boat is sinking"?

I'm "complicating things to the point that you do not understand my position"? No, but me thinks you have alot of problems understanding things in general.

Because YOU have never seen a molded carpet it doesn't mean they didn't exist. I have seen plenty of molded OE carpets, yet, I never claimed all carpets were molded.

So to clarifie and to end this ridiculous thing. You are saying because your "NOS" carpet (again, no proof for that and again read above about the difference between OE and NOS) is flat, every 60/61 actual production carpet was not molded? Are you serious? Please answer that simple question.

Edited by 1960fury 2019-01-05 6:56 PM
hemidenis
Posted 2019-01-05 8:23 PM (#576325 - in reply to #561665)

Expert

Ok i'm going to limit to answer your questions because you didn't answer mine:

Sid: "So to clarifie and to end this ridiculous thing. You are saying because your "NOS" carpet"

Answer: I never said my carpet was NOS. Just because is in perfect condition don't assume is NOS, I repeat myself, the blue carpet on my pictures is the original that came in my car. Installed in October 1960.

Sid: "every 60/61 actual production carpet was not molded? Are you serious?"

answer: they were NOT pre-molded before they were installed in the car. Neither yours or Wizard. Carpets were flat.

I hope this clarify my point of view and set this as a record.
1960fury
Posted 2019-01-05 8:38 PM (#576326 - in reply to #576325)

Expert 5K+

hemidenis - 2019-01-05 8:23 PM

Ok i'm going to limit to answer your questions because you didn't answer mine:

Sid: "So to clarifie and to end this ridiculous thing. You are saying because your "NOS" carpet"

Answer: I never said my carpet was NOS. Just because is in perfect condition don't assume is NOS, I repeat myself, the blue carpet on my pictures is the original that came in my car. Installed in October 1960.

Sid: "every 60/61 actual production carpet was not molded? Are you serious?"

answer: they were NOT pre-molded before they were installed in the car. Neither yours or Wizard. Carpets were flat.

I hope this clarify my point of view and set this as a record.

Ah, interesting, now suddenly you call it pre-molded! Listen, I never claimed that I know how and when the carpets were molded, just that they were, as obvious and mentioned in the literature. But it is VERY likely that these carpets were pre-molded. That they were cut to shape from a "roll" at the assembly line is very unlikely.

And your last answer explains everything, you claim here that you know how Wizards and my car and every other 60/61 were build and rolled of the assembly line, even though it is a fact that nobody can be sure about that, unless someone observed every 60/61 Mopars building process..... Hmm.... yes, indeed, that clarified your "point".

Edited by 1960fury 2019-01-05 8:52 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)