The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jackie's 1958 Belvedere
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Members RidesMessage format

Paul Hettick
Posted 2018-06-12 9:24 AM (#565080 - in reply to #561778)
Subject: RE: Jackie's 1958 Belvedere

Extreme Veteran

Jackie , I sent a pm with my phn #. I'm the prior owner. Can help with some issues and have some fun stories of that car.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
58Jackie
Posted 2018-06-21 1:36 AM (#565392 - in reply to #565012)
Subject: Re: Jackie's 1958 Belvedere

mstrug - 2018-06-11 5:52 AM

The freeze plugs either popped out when the block froze or rusted away and fell out. You have a video of it running? I didn't. I was working on my car anyway so I removed my left fender and exhaust manifold to get to my trouble spot.

Yes, I had a video of it running. It was taken about a year before I bought the car.
Judging by how much rusty crap is in the motor and around the freeze plug holes, I'd say it had plain water in it for some time and that's how most of the damage happened - including the freeze plugs. There is 2 missing, one on passenger, the other on the drivers side.
58Jackie
Posted 2018-06-21 1:42 AM (#565393 - in reply to #565033)

ttotired - 2018-06-11 3:55 PM

Freeze plugs can be got at with the engine in, but it is hard (I did this on my dodge)

There isn't much room and you will need to remove the engine mounts and other bits and pieces

I used 2 hammers to reinstall the new plugs, 1 was an old claw hammer that I had to cut the claw off to make the head shorter

The engine meeds to be jacked up a bit to give room and buy more than 1 set, so if 1 or more pop back out, you have spares to put back

Good thing is, they are cheap.

I also found that the steel ones were better than the stainless steel ones (they kept popping out)

Have fun, its an awkward, messy uncomfortable job, but unless you really want to pull the engine, I wouldn't

As I just want to hear the original motor run before I decide if it needs a total rebuild or not (may go with a 440 then); I will be going with the temporary screw-in type freeze plugs. I dont have all that much room to swing a hammer to get the press in type in, just barely enough room to get a wrench in there.
I would probably have more room if I took the whole front end apart, but I want to do that about as much as I want to pull the motor - not very much.
58Jackie
Posted 2018-06-21 1:53 AM (#565394 - in reply to #565035)

ttotired - 2018-06-11 4:23 PM

Just read the rest of it, I wish you well with your project

As for the engine choice, the 318 can look pretty nice without it costing "too" much (nothing cheap about this era mopar) and go well enough to satisfy most urges

If you want to be the fastest car on the street, thats a whole new can of worms

The trans should be ok, but may need resealing (fatsco have all the seals in a kit) as for the buttons, go buy some felt and make new seals that go around the buttons, its the seals that stop them falling off.

This engine was basically a stock build except for a very mild cam, the 2x4 set up and electronic ignition

I do want to hear the original motor run first, and to tell me if it needs a total rebuild or not.
If it will need to be rebuilt, I am planning to build a 440 to put in it, in the neighborhood of 500 horses.

Where did you get the cam at for your motor? I researched that you have to have a special one custom made?

As for the pushbuttons, you must've read above that I had the pushbuttons fall out when I went through the gears.
When I worked on that, it does have the felt gasket. It seems that where the point of them falling of at it when the plastic indicator piece clips onto the metal shift linkage.
58Jackie
Posted 2018-06-21 1:59 AM (#565395 - in reply to #565056)

jboymechanic - 2018-06-11 9:37 PM

Don't be discouraged, your engine is telling you it's time to be cleaned out. This should be viewed as a good preventative maintenance exercise. Thoroughly flush the block while poking around inside the block with a long screw driver, you will be impressed by the amount of crap you get to fall out. Keep flushing and poking until the water comes out clear (at least mostly). Then fill it up with coolant and rust inhibitor and you'll have piece of mind.

I was attempting to do that when I learned (the hard way) that I had the 2 freeze plugs out. I had already flushed out the radiator (it leaks too) and moved onto flushing the block out by pouring plain water down the water inlet.
Made about one of the biggest messes in my garage when all the water starts flowing out of the freeze plugs. I did have a bucket under the water pump outlet, no water even bothered to flow out where it was supposed to.
I plan to flush it out more when I have freeze plugs back in. Hopefully I find no more leaks then.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)