The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shifter cable adjustment
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

Fyrebyrd67
Posted 2018-04-30 10:25 AM (#562526)
Subject: Shifter cable adjustment

New User

Hi there, I just got a 1960 Chrysler Windsor Wagon and am having some shifter issues. It was stuck in drive so first thing I did was pull out the shifter box. I cleaned it And lubed with silicone spray. It appears to be working very well. I dropped the trans pan and pulled the shift cable out. The rubber ? coating is in bad shape about 4 inches up from trans. I spray lubed the cable and let it sit hanging for a while to let lube leak down cable. When I dropped the pan the comb and all mechanism seems to rotate well. Was a tad loose on main shaft but stays in detents. Reinstalled cable and shift buttons and ran through gears with pan off. Again appears good ,shifted well. Had helper hold button in reverse and I rotated lock washer up so only a couple threads between cable and trans face. Then rotated clockwise until it looked solid on reverse detent then rotated clockwise 5 holes and locked it down. Installed new gasket and new fluid . started car and put in reverse . all good. Backed up and put in drive and drove from back of house to the front and went to put back in reverse and bam stuck in drive again. Put it on lift and as soon as I loosened set washer on cable it would shift again. Couple questions. Any idea why this is happening and what is correct shift cable adjustment procedure. I do have a new cable on order $$$$$ . thanks in advance!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
NewportBob
Posted 2018-05-31 9:06 AM (#564300 - in reply to #562526)
Subject: Re: Shifter cable adjustment

Regular

Here is the best source I found:

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/transtech.html

My problem was with the neutral safety switch, but I found that by adjusting the cable (very touchy) to engage that switch put the cable in the right spot for all gears. Don't ask how many times I popped up and down from the tranny to the gear select buttons! An able assistant was not available. By the way, I used what is called "Method Three" on the website--running a multitester between the switch post and body. My tester has an audible signal for continuity--a great help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)