The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

57 imperial cowl vent operation?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Heating, Cooling and Air ConditioningMessage format

51coronet
Posted 2018-05-11 7:17 PM (#563194)
Subject: 57 imperial cowl vent operation?

Extreme Veteran

I am working on my 57 imperial. Have the dash out and see the cowl vent is about half way open. The operator has 2 lines, looks like an oil pressure line and a vacuum line, also looks like it has 2 or maybe 3 positions. (I thought there was a detailed thread here concerning Air Conditioned cars).

Anyway is this thing totally automatic or is there some sort of manual control I am not seeing for it? I would prefer this thing be operated manually since it is an air conditioned car. Thanks for any input.

Edit: Found the answer to my question in the service manual. It is sorta automatic. It closes when max cold air conditioning is wanted and the AC goes into recirc mode. Looks like extra not needed parts in my opinion. I still would prefer this to be manual in order to fully control outside air entry. Are there ready available parts to make this manual? I don't have the other parts to leave it stock and don't care to source parts that use engine oil to operate. My opinion on engine oil is it goes to a gauge for pressure, cooler to cool it, and filter to clean it. An oil temp gauge can site in the oil and not introduce problems.

Edited by 51coronet 2018-05-11 8:18 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
LD3 Greg
Posted 2018-05-11 11:10 PM (#563203 - in reply to #563194)
Subject: RE: 57 imperial cowl vent operation?

Expert

There are two lines. One is high oil pressure and the other is to drain off any blow-by oil. It is not vacuum, it is just a passive drain.

If your door is half open your system is damaged. The system is designed to be automatic so the door closes when the engine is shut off. If the door stays open when the car is parked, rain water could enter through that open door.

Greg
51coronet
Posted 2018-05-13 9:31 PM (#563317 - in reply to #563203)
Subject: RE: 57 imperial cowl vent operation?

Extreme Veteran

The way the service manual describes it is if the inside vent is open the outside air vent is closed (this is the way mine is currently). The way they are linked together this makes perfect sense. I am going to just disable it and leave it that way. Thanks for the insight, thought one line was vacuum. The other thing the service manual says in this configuration you get 80% recirc air and 20% outside air. Fine by me if I just leave it this way. The windows work if I need more fresh air.

My car is gutted and inop so I am just going through things painting and lubing changing bulbs fixing wires and so on. A simplified end product is fine by me because this car sat outside neglected for years. The fact its getting some attention is a good thing.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)