The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

'56 Ply 230 carb
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

Kenc
Posted 2018-06-14 7:10 PM (#565160)
Subject: '56 Ply 230 carb

I'm preparing a 230 to build for my 56 Dodge 1/2ton. The block numbers indicate a 56 plymouth as its' source. It looks to be all original, 'cept for an obvious rering sometime in the past. No ridge, at least 15 thou wear and lots of combustion chamber carbon. The question I have is the carburetor. It is a Holley 1904, metal bowl version, not glass. The linkage all looks factory. But, I can find no info that indicates that they ever used a Holley from the factory. Ford, IH and American motors all used a version of the 1900 series in the mid 50s up thru the late 60s.

And, there are several kits available, but all are OEM usage specific and none list Mopar.

Any info out there???
Top of the page Bottom of the page
49pair
Posted 2018-06-15 10:00 AM (#565172 - in reply to #565160)
Subject: Re: '56 Ply 230 carb

I have seen many of the Holly 1904s on the slant 6 engines as originally equipped, so my guess is it was replaced sometime in the past. Unless you want it to be very original, I would use it as it is a good carb. What air cleaner do you have?
Kenc
Posted 2018-06-15 5:20 PM (#565189 - in reply to #565160)
Subject: Re: '56 Ply 230 carb

I do plan to use it. As a matter of fact I plan on two of them on a modded manifold. I even have a couple of glass bowls to put on them. Should make for some interesting conversations when the hood is up.

Unfortunately no air cleaner came with the core engine. My plan is to make a custom plate to span both carbs and source an oval dry type element. Two plates, top/bottom, sandwiching the element. But that's a long way in the future, got to finish to body/paint first
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)