The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bluetooth Speaker goodness in a 57 Imperial
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

imperial2100
Posted 2018-07-15 9:47 PM (#566656)
Subject: Bluetooth Speaker goodness in a 57 Imperial

Veteran

So I have a bluetooth speaker that I leave in the car which I turn on when I get in. Once it powers up, it auto connects to my phone and I can play whatever I want through the phone for my music since the AM radio doesn't have anything good on it and even if it did, the sound system in these cars is rather sad.

My question is, has anyone tried wiring in a bluetooth device like this directly to the car's 12v so it turns on when the car starts? I'm really thinking I might give this a try where I simply mount the speaker under the dash and it just works automatically by wiring in a 5v usb cigarette lighter adapter along with it.

The only catch is, most of the speakers out there require a button to be pushed when you want to turn them on, they do not simply power up when plugged in, and even if I ripped the battery out of the speaker, I doubt it would turn on when power is applied.

Anyone have an idea about this? An alternative may be a bluetooth powered sound bar, as those may automatically fire up when plugged in, but that would need a 120v source, which is a larger draw on the generator I would assume.

Thoughts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
KcImperial
Posted 2018-07-15 10:56 PM (#566660 - in reply to #566656)
Subject: Re: Bluetooth Speaker goodness in a 57 Imperial

Expert

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dual-Electronics-XDM16BT-High-Resolution-...
Bluetooth, USB, MP3 player with remote for a whopping $16
stick it in the glove box or mount under the dash and be done with it
imperial2100
Posted 2018-07-15 11:17 PM (#566661 - in reply to #566660)

Veteran

KcImperial - 2018-07-15 11:56 PM

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dual-Electronics-XDM16BT-High-Resolution-...
Bluetooth, USB, MP3 player with remote for a whopping $16
stick it in the glove box or mount under the dash and be done with it

Not bad, especially for the money. I guess it would need some additional speakers mounted under there with it as the ones already in the car for the am radio are not going to work. And I really don't want to butcher up the existing stereo, I'd like to leave that as is if at all possible.
mikes2nd
Posted 2018-07-15 11:32 PM (#566662 - in reply to #566656)

Expert 5K+

manual window cars have no wires to doors. you could throw a couple under the dash, couple in the back.

Or just set some portable ones in the back shelf and solar power, problem solved, no wire, no radio, no hassle solution

I might be worried about the "heat" though.  I would definately not leave them in the back shelf.  Could get so hot they melt the battery and cause a short/fire?

https://www.amazon.com/HOMTSSAW-Bluetooth-Speakers-Solar-Charged-Loudspeaker/dp/B073VMVK4C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1531713895&sr=8-4&keywords=solar+portable+speaker

Edited by mikes2nd 2018-07-15 11:41 PM
mikes2nd
Posted 2018-07-15 11:38 PM (#566664 - in reply to #566656)

Expert 5K+

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Speaker-SolarSound-Solar-powered-Sm...

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Playtime-Subwoofer-Splashproof-Port...

51coronet
Posted 2018-07-18 10:27 PM (#566835 - in reply to #566656)

Extreme Veteran

They are convenient and sound pretty good. On the other hand are you against a modern system installation? You can conceal a head unit in the glove box or under the dash with some work and wire in three 6x9 speakers really easy without any butchering. The rear package tray has 3 oval 6x9 cutouts and the front speaker cutout is the same so if you do not have a rear defroster you could have 4 6x9 speakers going. The wiring for the rears is easily run in the door sills by removing the sill plates and there is space on both sides for wiring so you get to choose which you prefer to use.

The dash has lot of empty space underneath from where the gauge cluster ends on over to the glove box. Some trick mounting can get what you want without making a mess of things if you don't want a head unit in the glove box. A remote would be all that is needed to control the unit which most come with.

There is tons of room in the trunk to mount an amp if you wish as well as a subwoofer and still not see it when the trunk is opened. Just a few ideas for a permanent sound solution if you desire. I will be taking this route when the time comes or possibly send my radio in for the modern modification. It already doesn't work so all that needs to be maintained is the face of it to complete the dash. There are some nice options for you for sure either way you go.
mikes2nd
Posted 2018-07-18 11:25 PM (#566837 - in reply to #566656)

Expert 5K+

no I found the solar bluetooths are not good in the heat. They probably blow up and catch your car on fire.

So yes put in real speakers, put some in the back and front and be done.
imperial2100
Posted 2018-07-22 1:10 AM (#566986 - in reply to #566660)

Veteran

Thanks for the tip on the cheap stereo. Picked one up and have it wired up with alligator clips on the counter using a battery charger as my power source. Works great!

Now I'm kinda at a loss as I think I can mount the stereo under the dash pretty easy, but what about the speakers? I don't want to replace the original speakers as I want the original AM radio to continue working as is. So do you guys have any suggestions for mounting speakers under the dash in a discrete location?
51coronet
Posted 2018-07-22 10:40 AM (#567008 - in reply to #566656)

Extreme Veteran

A different approach would be a multi throw switch. This would use more wire and labor but would work and be clean. The switch in one position would be the original radio and the other position would be the newer modern radio. Couple ways to do this but 1 way seems the most correct. This would be a 2 position switch with multiple poles or more than 1 switch if you cant find a suitable one. The speakers wired to the common of the switch meaning no matter what position the switch is in the speakers will be connected. Each radios speaker outputs would be on the switched legs of the switch or switches. Each speaker uses 2 wires so keep that in mind(polarity sensitive positive and negative so be sure you match each correctly). 3 speakers means 6 poles that need switching. Typical switch has 3 connections in back and center being your common. This would be connected to the speakers. top connections to old radio speaker output and bottom to new radio speaker outputs. (or swap based on preference). Now you just toggle the switch based on what radio you want to hear through the installed speakers.

Keep in mind you would really want all to be switched at the same time so a switch that can switch 6 poles simultaneously would be better than multiple switches where you toggle one by one. I suggest this as a caution because one radio could potentially feed the other radio and possibly cause problems or damage equipment.

6 pole double throw switches are not common but here is one that would work. The industry calls them #PDT the # is how many pole and the DT is double throw.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/nidec-copal-electronics/ET...

The other way is turn off the radios before switching if you want to use the more common 1 2 3 or 4 pole double throw switches that are readily available on ebay and amazon

Also keep in mind how many ohms your stock speakers are and how many ohms an aftermarket unit is intended for. You can usually mix and match but volume levels will be different and heat can be an issue so keeping volume levels moderate will keep things from damage. I do this at home 4 ohm speakers on a unit that is intended for 8 ohm but I don't crank it up so it hasn't been an issue.

Does that unit you just purchased have non preamp outputs? I don't see them in the picture but it says it has 4.

Edited by 51coronet 2018-07-22 4:59 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)