The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gas tank questions
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

58Jackie
Posted 2018-08-02 12:47 AM (#567618)
Subject: Gas tank questions

Veteran

I'm in the fuel delivery stage of the restoration on my 58, and I had a few questions come up...

When I was attempting to remove the strap bolts, the bracket holding them was so flimsy that it has turned completely around in the direction I was loosening the bolts. I mean, that bracket is flimsy, I don't know if the bolt hole was enlarged or not, but its only a quarter inch wide and that's what is supposed to hold up 20 gallons of fuel. I really don't trust the strength of it now.

Anyhow, has anyone else had this similar problem?
Need input here; does welding on a new set of L brackets to the body sound like an ok idea? Its the best solution I can come up with now.

Another problem I encountered is the filler tube. I'm not sure how you guys do it, but with the fill tube attached I had to position the tank all the way over to the suspension spring at a weird angle to get the tank/fill tube out of the body opening.

I was thinking of a way to make this a whole lot easier for me whenever I have to install/remove the tank again, as this factory way is a real pain in the rear...

An idea I came up with is make it like its an exhaust system with clamps. I thought of welding a small pipe to the tank itself, about an inch long; long enough to secure an exhaust clamp on it. The other end/long end that goes up through the body you secure to the end of the exhaust clamp.
Before I removed the tank, there is a small amount of clearance between the body and the tank. In that area would be the clamp, but making sure you position it so that you can still get a wrench in there to install/remove it.

This way, whenever you need to remove/install the tank, you don't have to worry about fidgeting with the fill tube to get it up in there...
It sounded like a good idea to me, I'd like all you guys opinion on it though before I proceed.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Ray
Posted 2018-08-02 9:31 AM (#567630 - in reply to #567618)
Subject: RE: Gas tank questions

Extreme Veteran

58Jackie - 2018-08-01 10:47 PM does welding on a new set of L brackets to the body sound like an ok idea? 

Sure, .......or bolt them on,..... if there is enough room to drill the holes.

58Jackie - 2018-08-01 10:47 PM I was thinking of a way to make this a whole lot easier for me whenever I have to install/remove the tank again,

An idea I came up with is make it like its an exhaust system with clamps. I thought of welding a small pipe to the tank itself, about an inch long; long enough to secure an exhaust clamp on it.

You will (almost) never have to remove the tank again.
You are going to weld on the gas tank ???, .....probably not a good idea, empty or clean.
Exhaust clamps on exhaust pipe will not seal and will leak gas.
If you want to, gas resistance rubber (?) hose with hose clamps on to exhaust pipe will work.

Powerflite
Posted 2018-08-02 2:29 PM (#567641 - in reply to #567618)
Subject: Re: Gas tank questions

Expert 5K+

I agree. You would be better off protecting the threads on your "J" bolts to ensure it always comes loose easily. If you live where those bolts will quickly corrode, you could use stainless versions instead. If you can't find a stainless version, you can make some from a pair of stainless bolts by welding the old head to the top of the new bolt and then cleaning it up afterward.
58Jackie
Posted 2018-08-03 12:58 AM (#567708 - in reply to #567630)
Subject: RE: Gas tank questions

Veteran

Old Ray - 2018-08-02 8:31 AM

58Jackie - 2018-08-01 10:47 PM does welding on a new set of L brackets to the body sound like an ok idea? 

Sure, .......or bolt them on,..... if there is enough room to drill the holes.

58Jackie - 2018-08-01 10:47 PM I was thinking of a way to make this a whole lot easier for me whenever I have to install/remove the tank again,

An idea I came up with is make it like its an exhaust system with clamps. I thought of welding a small pipe to the tank itself, about an inch long; long enough to secure an exhaust clamp on it.

You will (almost) never have to remove the tank again.
You are going to weld on the gas tank ???, .....probably not a good idea, empty or clean.
Exhaust clamps on exhaust pipe will not seal and will leak gas.
If you want to, gas resistance rubber (?) hose with hose clamps on to exhaust pipe will work.

I didn't exactly want to bolt on new brackets for the reason that I don't want a bolt sticking up through my trunk. Doesn't sound like it would look too pretty. Why I thought welding them on would be the best idea.

Why I thought about my idea about a new solution to the filler tube. I have a few reasons why.
Its so long that its difficult to move the tank around with limited space to get the filler tube (attached to tank) up into the filler tube's hole in the body of the car.

Filler tube doesn't remove/install easily into the tank. Crossing out the idea of installing/removing fill tube when the tank is installed in car.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)