The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Window nightmares.....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

poly
Posted 2018-08-06 6:51 AM (#567892)
Subject: Window nightmares.....

Veteran

I've decided to overhaul the windows in our 57 Plymouth coupe because they are gummed up with old grease and decades of crud.
The fronts have been fairly straightforward and are nearly done BUT the rears have been a pain in the neck !
I have managed to wrestle one window out already and the other will come out eventually but I know I'm going to struggle getting it all
back together. I have a FSM but the lack of detail is amazing.. Does anyone have experience with the rear glass on a coupe?
I'd appreciate a step by step description on installing and aligning these windows .
Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
59 in Calif
Posted 2018-08-06 11:24 AM (#567915 - in reply to #567892)
Subject: Re: Window nightmares.....

Elite Veteran

I did this on a 59 Dodge 2dr sedan and it was a royal PITA. And not much info in the FSM. As I remember the window and the regulator had to be installed from the window opening at the top. Then get the window to set in those guide rails and adjust them to put get the window to slide up and down. Then have to get the reg. arms into the guides at the bottom of the glass. This can get 'REALLY TRICKY' and some helping hands will keep you from going 'bonkers' Seems to me I had to put the reg in there loose with the window and work thru those openings in that inside the car panel. Those openings in that panel leave a lot to be desired. Seems like I hooked a couple of pieces of wire to that window and had helper pull on those wires to hold the window up in a position I could work with. This is a real 'patience' killer !!! A shot of booze or a joint before starting maybe helpful. Good Luck ! Jerry
ronbo97
Posted 2018-08-06 7:07 PM (#567945 - in reply to #567915)

Expert

MTSC manual 117 - Window and Lock Adjustments

and the associated video

MTSC 117 - Video

These MTSC booklets go into much more detail than what you will find in the FSM.

Ron

Edited by ronbo97 2018-08-06 7:08 PM
poly
Posted 2018-08-07 7:06 AM (#567967 - in reply to #567892)

Veteran

Thanks for the info guys, hopefully that will make the job a bit easier.

poly
Posted 2018-08-09 6:07 AM (#568116 - in reply to #567967)

Veteran

I've read the booklet and it will be a help to line everything up assuming I can get all the bits back in ! I got the other window out but in doing so I completely dismantled the entire assembly. Can anyone tell me the correct order to reassemble the window and its myriad pieces ?
poly
Posted 2018-08-18 5:36 AM (#568583 - in reply to #568116)

Veteran

Well , after a bit of thought, blood sweat and tears, and the occasional expletive; I have managed to get the windows back in today.
I hope I never have to do that job again in this lifetime !
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)