The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Auveco/Geno Industries Trim Clips
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2018-10-23 5:29 PM (#572239)
Subject: Auveco/Geno Industries Trim Clips

Expert 5K+

Just a public service announcement:

I am re-installing the trim on my 56 Dodge hood that separates the saddle and lower colours. The original clips were toast so I wanted to install new ones. Further more instead of 2 bolted clips and 4 wire spring clips per side, I wanted to do 6 bolted clips and 10-24 Nyloc nuts to eliminate rattling. I purchased what I thought was the correct size clip, i.e. 2744s (or for me 17-2744 from Geno Industries via Lordco). They turned out to be too small and spun inside the trim piece as I tried to tighten the Nyloc nut. Bad enough but when I tried to remove the nut, the clip came *OUT* of the trim piece and scratched both the newly painted saddle paint and the lighter blue lower paint (on the hood). Merde.

*THEN* I found one of the old bolt on clips and determined that while the 2744s were 3/4" long, the old clip was about 1" long. I quickly checked the Geno catalog but only found the 2744 and the much larger 2619 (1 11/32" long - good for the body side mouldings). SO then I went to the Auveco catalog:

https://www.auveco.com/download/catalog/auveco_catalog.pdf

I searched for 2744 to find the page with the clips. It's page 824.

The I spotted what I needed 19626 1" long (see below) (used to be 2514). I contacted Geno Industries in Montreal and Mareeka there determined that they had sold some 19626s to Lordco in Burnaby BC (10 minutes from me). So I called Lordco and confirmed that they had stock in the warehouse. So I ordered 12 (my current needs). Should be at my local store later today or early tomorrow AM.

Two steps ahead, one back. (Now to fix the scratches in my fairly fresh paint).

Edited by 56D500boy 2018-10-23 5:32 PM

(AuvecoTrimClipPNsPg824.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments AuvecoTrimClipPNsPg824.jpg (108KB - 156 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2018-10-24 8:53 PM (#572310 - in reply to #572239)
Subject: RE: Auveco/Geno Industries Trim Clips

Expert 5K+

56D500boy - 2018-10-23 5:29 PM

The I spotted what I needed 19626 1" long (see below) (used to be 2514). I contacted Geno Industries in Montreal and Mareeka there determined that they had sold some 19626s to Lordco in Burnaby BC (10 minutes from me). So I called Lordco and confirmed that they had stock in the warehouse. So I ordered 12 (my current needs). Should be at my local store later today or early tomorrow AM.

Two steps ahead, one back. (Now to fix the scratches in my fairly fresh paint).

That was yesterday. This AM I picked up the 12 19626 1" long Auveco clips and came home to install them in the hood trim. However, prior to that I "fixed" the scratches in the light blue paint from yesterday (masked off the hood ornament and the dark blue and, after sanding the scratched area with 800 grit, I hit it hard with three coats of the light blue. Seemed to work.

While that was drying, I used five of the larger 2619 clips to put the mid-door trim on my drivers door. Getting the very front one was impossible for me to get started (my arms are too round and short (I guess) to reach the 10-24 stud on that very front one through the available holes in the door. I was just about to quit when my neighbours sister who is very hands on asked if she could help. Her arms are longer (I guess) and slimmer than mine so she could get the Nyloc nut started enough that I could then carry on with tightening the nut with a 3/8" ratcheting box end wrench.

When that was done, I went back to the hood and used six of the 19626s on the left side hood trim and six 10-24 Nyloc nuts to install the trim. Needed the 3/8" ratcheting wrench on the one nut/stud that is by the mid-hood brace. Got all 6 on with no problem.

Then I went back to the right side where I had the problem yesterday. After loading the 19626s into the hood trim and getting the spacing correct I started from the cowl end of the hood and moved towards the hood ornament (where the trim sits OVER the tail end of the hood ornament). When I get there, this is the 12th one today and the same location as the issue yesterday and....THE CLIP SPINS AGAIN!!! WTH!!?? I could see one end of the clip poking out of the trim on the dark blue but nothing on the newly painted light blue area. I shook my head and quit.

Obviously there is an issue with the trim piece - it must have been stretched wider in that area. I will need to remove the trim piece tomorrow and squeeze it closed a bit and try again. Too bad. Things had gone quite well up until that point.

Tomorrow is another day
56D500boy
Posted 2018-10-26 5:46 PM (#572425 - in reply to #572310)
Subject: RE: Auveco/Geno Industries Trim Clips

Expert 5K+

56D500boy - 2018-10-24 8:53 PM
.... When I get there, this is the 12th one today and the same location as the issue yesterday and....THE CLIP SPINS AGAIN!!! WTH!!?? I could see one end of the clip poking out of the trim on the dark blue but nothing on the newly painted light blue area. I shook my head and quit.

Obviously there is an issue with the trim piece - it must have been stretched wider in that area. I will need to remove the trim piece tomorrow and squeeze it closed a bit and try again. Too bad. Things had gone quite well up until that point.

Tomorrow is another day :)

Okay, the day *AFTER* tomorrow was another day. Took the moulding off and tried again. Discovered what the issue was:

In my "wisdom" (LOL) I decided to use Nyloc nuts instead of nuts and lock washers. Because I wanted the Nylocs to be tight, I apparently OVER TIGHTENED them. This caused the Auveco/Geno clip to bend towards the stud (because the nut was pulling on the stud). This caused the effective length of the clip to shorten to the point that, as I continued to tighten the Nyloc, the clip pulled out of the trim piece. The trim piece is fine.

The solution was to fix (straighten) bent clips (and for a couple of them, re-install the tension springs that had come out of the clip), reposition the clips back to where they needed to be and then install the trim with the clips and start the nuts. This time I tightened the Nyloc only to the point that it actually was touching the hood and then maybe a 1/4 turn. Then stop.

Seems to be fine. No clips came loose or spun. I still have to fix a chip in the dark blue paint because of the mishap on Wednesday but other than that, it looks good. Just have to re-install the hood "V", the "Dodge" logo and the grill badge and D500 flags. (Got a NOS D500 badge coming Monday )

UPDATE: The Dodge, the V and the flags are back on. Just the grill badge to go (tomorrow or Sunday)

Edited by 56D500boy 2018-10-27 12:26 AM

(56DodgeFrontEndWithHoodTrimOnAfterPaintingHood.jpg)

(DaveFs56DodgeD500HoodAfterRattleCanPaintingWithNewAndOldTrimReInstalled.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 56DodgeFrontEndWithHoodTrimOnAfterPaintingHood.jpg (229KB - 150 downloads)
Attachments DaveFs56DodgeD500HoodAfterRattleCanPaintingWithNewAndOldTrimReInstalled.jpg (237KB - 152 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)