The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Turquoise 57 New Yorker Coupe
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Members RidesMessage format

Powerflite
Posted 2019-08-25 6:13 PM (#586554 - in reply to #572778)
Subject: RE: Turquoise 57 New Yorker Coupe

Expert 5K+

Thanks Sid, I do my best with it. Sometimes it comes out great, and sometimes I have to start over and try again. Yesterday was a start over again kind of day. I spent quite a bit of time bending a new patch for the left side middle body mount, welded it into place and cleaned up the welds. The repair went into the rounded recess portion of the mount because that was rusted out. It also included most of the downward turn (more than the picture shows - after tapping it with a hammer, it all fell out.) so it wasn't easy to make a patch that fit - let alone look decent. After getting it done, I hated it. It looked like something a giant would have blown out his nose. So I got my son to help me drag the 4dr hardtop floor I parted out to extract the mount from it. It will need to be repaired on the end because it is rusted a little, but not nearly as bad as the one on the car. Repairing it this way is going to be difficult because I will need to lift the body at least another 5 inches to get enough room to do it. But I may just cut the floor up from above and install it that way since the floor needs repair in this area anyway. I'll decide when I get closer to it.

(57NY Left Middle Body Mount.jpg)

(57NY Middle Body Mount Spare.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 57NY Left Middle Body Mount.jpg (121KB - 23 downloads)
Attachments 57NY Middle Body Mount Spare.jpg (186KB - 22 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Powerflite
Posted 2019-08-27 1:02 PM (#586645 - in reply to #572778)

Expert 5K+

The replacement part shown on the floorpan above was rather disappointing. Once cleaned up it proved to be quite rusty around the round body mount. But the inner, round, mount-like section is quite good. The flat section of this floor brace is tall on the outside, short in between and tall on the inside again. So I just have to turn it around to match the proper contour of the outer body mount and splice them together to make something that matches the original. This is the easy part, but removing the old one from the car & replacing it is going to be quite fun.

(57NY LM Body Mount Replacement.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 57NY LM Body Mount Replacement.jpg (185KB - 23 downloads)
Powerflite
Posted 2019-08-30 1:36 PM (#586791 - in reply to #572778)

Expert 5K+

I finished splicing the body mount together and repairing the rusted corner on it. Cleaning up the repair on the corner was the hardest part because of the tight contours in that area, but it wasn't bad with a tungsten-carbide burr on a die grinder. The distance from the outer vertical part to the body mount is 4.5", but it is easy to get the angle a little off, so I had to hold it up the other spare original to get it in the right position. I think this turned out really well, and I feel a lot better about it than the repair I did on the car. This is going to look a lot better.

(57NY Spliced Mid Body Mount.jpg)

(57NY Spliced Painted Mid Body Mount.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 57NY Spliced Mid Body Mount.jpg (163KB - 19 downloads)
Attachments 57NY Spliced Painted Mid Body Mount.jpg (86KB - 20 downloads)
57burb
Posted 2019-08-30 2:30 PM (#586794 - in reply to #586791)
Subject: Re: Turquoise 57 New Yorker Coupe

Expert

Some really nice work, Nathan!
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)