The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

318 reinstall w/Powerflight
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

kirkprentiss
Posted 2018-12-01 12:03 AM (#574461)
Subject: 318 reinstall w/Powerflight

I have a 58 Belvedere with 318 V8 and Powerflight trans. I pulled the engine for an overhaul (rebuilt) and today did a reinstall. It was hard getting the torque converter to line up with the trans shaft, but eventually got the engine and trans to mate flush and install the bell housing bolts in. Before putting engine and trans together was able to turn the pulley end of the crankshaft to rotate the torque converter, and install the bolts to the end of the crankshaft. So before the engine and trans were mated, the engine could be turned at the pulley end. Now it's impossible to turn. A couple of questions:

1) Once the torque converter is on the main trans shaft and the splines line up, is this the correct procedure to ensure the torque converter is properly installed? 2) Does the torque converter need to be pre-filled with fluid before installing? 3) Once the torque converter slides on the main trans shaft can it be out of alignment causing this binding? 4) Is it necessary to assemble the engine and trans outside of the car before reinstalling in the car?

These are probably rookie questions, but I am at a stalemate and hoping that I haven't A - screwed up the torque converter or B am simply overlooking something and it's not necessary to pull EVERYTHING a part again! HELP! I am hopeful that I'm just overlooking something...Cheers.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Stroller
Posted 2018-12-02 11:15 AM (#574511 - in reply to #574461)
Subject: Re: 318 reinstall w/Powerflight

Extreme Veteran

Hm, interesting dilema. Ok the torque converter can be filled before putting in but it does not needed, plus it adds assembly wieght. The torque converter should slide into the front pump and the mounting points will be just inside the bell housings outer edge. I have seen where the park cam is not properly installed and thus a bind results, hard to mess up. Question will the drive shaft rotate at the output shaft? Is the starter not in a bind? Are the pulleys on the front of engine not in a bind, hitting each other. No bolts got droped in the intake? A new rotating assembly should turn rather freely with the spark plugs out. Thing to do is pull the starter and unbolt the torque converter to see if engine will turn. You need to sperate the mechanical connection's to spot if trans or engine is the problem.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)