The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting an EBay store
Moderators: ronbo97

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Swap Meet -> For Sale - EBAY, CRAIGSLIST & OTHER FINDSMessage format

Apollo 61
Posted 2018-12-09 3:55 PM (#574935)
Subject: Starting an EBay store

Elite Veteran

I was thinking of early retirement from work. I have a friend who has a eBay store who does that for a living. Mostly specializes in Cadillac parts. He always tries to have at least a 1000 things listed at all times. He tells me that he sells a average of 1 to 5 items a day for $15 to $150 It's a full time job he tells me to maintiain that many listings. He will stop by my place and buy parts in bulk to bring back and clean,list,sell etc. Somebody once told me the (time to sell something is when it is worth something!!) I myself have been collecting vintage parts,cars,parting cars, for decades and I know where there are endless supplies of more vintage cars and parts to be had. I go to a occasional swap meet here and there. But now I have run out of room,and was thinking of starting a EBAY store. I know success will depend on quality,condition and rarity of parts. I have sold a few items on eBay before,but in the auction style days. A eBay store would be new for me. My question for you guys is ,have any of you done this successfully or have any advice on the do's and don'ts of a eBay store. My inventory for starting will be mostly mopar muscle E,B,A 66-73, early 60s Mercury,Lincoln, Cbody chryslers and imperials, and a few FLs. My short term beginning goal is to help fund my current FL projects. My long term goal would be to make a decent living at it?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
1960fury
Posted 2018-12-09 4:38 PM (#574939 - in reply to #574935)
Subject: Re: Starting an EBay store

Expert 5K+

If it works for your friend... Maybe Ebay has changed? I stopped selling on Ebay years ago because as a seller you are fair game for every con artist of the planet, with absolutely no rights whatsoever. Paypal simply steals your money for the scammer if he says so for any invented unproven claims, even if it is a buyer with only 10 feedbacks and all are from sellers saying the guy is a crook and you can prove that he has a criminal record, PP always decides in favor of the buyer and there is nothing you can do about it.

Edited by 1960fury 2018-12-09 4:40 PM
w.weiland
Posted 2018-12-09 5:21 PM (#574944 - in reply to #574935)

Expert

I have sold on ebay since 05. sometimes decent sometimes not. I will say you have a far better chance selling on ebay verses this site. lot of tire kickers here
Apollo 61
Posted 2018-12-09 9:11 PM (#574959 - in reply to #574944)

Elite Veteran

I stopped selling on eBay years ago when I felt that my listings were being buried with (fits) garbage spam. It took me awhile to figure out the -fits in the search. By the time I figured that out my account expired and I let it go.

I see now,that the spam parts posters have figured out that (-fits) and are not including that word in there listing. I don't want to waste time looking through 200 hundred of the same ads for radiator caps!!! I also don't want my listing buried between those ads. Is there another way to eliminate garbage listings that I don't know about?

My freind with the store has only had one PayPal scam out of thousands of sales. PayPal sided with scammer.

I'm looking around my place and finding more and more parts to list. The attic,boxvans,sheds,garage,in the trunks, time to let go. I figure if not now then when. I just don't want to be that guy that has his junk thrown into the scrap bins because I held onto them too long.

As for selling parts here I've had some minor success. At least it's free and easy to list. Will, I watch your for sale postings closely. You have some great stuff for good prices.
sonaramic300
Posted 2018-12-11 10:39 PM (#575094 - in reply to #574935)

Regular

True that PP goes with scammers. And it takes a lot of time to do 1000 live parts auctions at a time. When I buy its from little guys with good parts, pictures and descriptions.

In looking backwards I never buy from The big guys with stores. They generally have 2 cruddy photos and short descriptions. It just doesn't work out that I want their stuff.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)