The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1961 Chrysler with a connection
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

imopar380
Posted 2019-01-01 4:17 PM (#576109)
Subject: 1961 Chrysler with a connection

Expert 5K+

Shawn Smith, owner of this car contacted me through the WPC Club email last spring and sent me a photo of his beautiful Windsor. He had asked me if there was any way to find history or build records on the car, which is a Canadian built model. Unfortunately all the Canadian records of the era were destroyed so at that point I couldn’t give him much help. However, I asked him if he could send me more photos and a story on the car because I wanted to feature it in our newsletter. Finally in December he sent me some more photos of the car and his restoration story. One of the photos he sent me was of the car prior to restoration. Seeing that photo brought back a flood of memories, and I immediately knew quite a bit of the history that Shawn had been seeking regarding the car. .

I immediately recognized the car as one that was originally from Victoria, and actually bought new here I met the original owner in the early 1980s, but I had first seen the car quite often starting in the mid 1970s when I first started working downtown and driving around in my 1960 Dodge Polara, (which Ron and Jean now own). The owner was Mr. Ernie Protheroe, and he lived in a condominium just across from Beacon Hill Park at 250 Douglas. One day, forward now to around 1985, I somehow happened to actually meet him as he was coming back to the car at Mayfair Shopping Centre. We got to talking about the car, and I noticed he was missing the driver’s door lock cylinder and I mentioned that I could supply him with another one. I ended up doing that for him. He told me some history – that he always had the car serviced at Dunsmuir Shell Super Service at the junction of Fort St. and Yates, and he also told me that he worked at the Legislative buildings before he retired, which was within walking distance of his condo. He also told me he had a 1969 Dodge Dart GT parked back at the condo underground parking, but I never did see that one. I eventually lost contact with Ernie and the car over the years. He was probably in his late 70s or early 80s at that time. I noticed the car for sale on line a few years ago but didn’t follow up on it. Now Shawn has found it, restored it and joined the WPC Club and our WPC Region.

SO Here is Shawn's Story on this lovely 1961 Windsor:

"It all started with my wife. Up to last December, I owned 2 pristine classic vehicles, a 1959 Chevy Apache, and a 1966 Chrysler 300. Between my wife and I, we had 4 vehicles and 2 garages. One day, my wife said to me that she would like to downsize and simplify things in her life. How she was going to do that, of course, was up to her. Being a person who likes to practice non-attachment, I gave some serious thought about what she said, and started to warm up to the idea of applying her idea to my life. Finally, I decided to jump on board, and downsize myself. Concerning my classic vehicles, I decided to pare down to one.

Recently, I had really developed a strong appreciation for the 1961 Chrysler 2 door hardtop. I decided to sell the Apache and 300 and search for a 61 Chrysler (which was a challenge, because they are very hard to come by). I started the search immediately. I have been fortunate in the past, that when I have made my mind up about something, things fall into place fast. Right off the bat, I found a 61 Chrysler Windsor on Kijiji, located in Bragg Creek Alberta. I drove up on a Wednesday to take a look at it. It was all pretty much intact, little rust, with a few extra spare parts. It had the rare dubonnet paint colour (for 61 only), P.S.,P.B, factory dual exhausts, all the full wheel covers, and radio delete. The owner said he had inquiries from all over, including Sweden. After some dickering, we settled on a price, and onsummated the deal. The owner was nice enought to trailer the Windsor down to me that Saturday ( a 120 mile drive), and I paid for his gas and lunch.

Upon first seeing it, my wife was not overly enthused, because it looked a little worse for wear. I didn't mind, because I knew I was going to bring this puppy back to life, in a way that she would be impressed. Within a couple of months, I sold the Apache and 300, and was unencumbered now to get the Chrysler back to it's former glory. Over the following 9 months, I did my 'duty' of reviving this Virgil Exner classic. Amongst other things, I brought the 361 motor back to life, reupholstered the seats (the door panels and headliner were in great shape), installed new carpeting, installed a new gas tank, rear springs & shocks, re-did brakes, fixed and installed a supplied Flight Sweep trunk lid, refurbished the steering wheel, installed a supplied new dash pad, got the supplied clock working and installed it, and on and on. Lastly, the biggest item was painting it in it's original Dubonnet colour. As well, I changed the roof colour to white, to have a two tone car. Now, the little lady is tickled pink. During the restoration, I was still driving the Windsor around town, in between the fix-ups. Having a classic car, I feel it is meant to be shared and enjoyed by others, in turn, making them feel good - and that is exactly what has happened. I literally cannot go anywhere without receiving very positive reactions and comments. I get guys who roll down their windows at stop lights, and yell at me, 'What a fantastic car', or old ladies stopping me and 'ordering' me 'you can just park that gorgeous car in my driveway sonny'. It has been a terrific pleasure sharing this vehicle, and I am grateful to Mr. Exner for doing such a wonderful job."

Edited by imopar380 2019-01-01 5:39 PM

(ShawnSmith1.JPG)

(Shawnsmith2.JPG)

(ShawnSmith3.JPG)

(ShawnSmith4.JPG)

(ShawnSmith5.JPG)

(ShawnSmith6.JPG)

(shawnsmith8.JPG)

(shawnsmith8a.JPG)

(shawnsmith13.JPG)

(shawnsmith9.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ShawnSmith1.JPG (118KB - 120 downloads)
Attachments Shawnsmith2.JPG (108KB - 123 downloads)
Attachments ShawnSmith3.JPG (125KB - 126 downloads)
Attachments ShawnSmith4.JPG (105KB - 114 downloads)
Attachments ShawnSmith5.JPG (107KB - 131 downloads)
Attachments ShawnSmith6.JPG (109KB - 108 downloads)
Attachments shawnsmith8.JPG (93KB - 113 downloads)
Attachments shawnsmith8a.JPG (127KB - 127 downloads)
Attachments shawnsmith13.JPG (79KB - 119 downloads)
Attachments shawnsmith9.JPG (81KB - 111 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
60 Imp
Posted 2019-01-01 6:29 PM (#576117 - in reply to #576109)
Subject: RE: 1961 Chrysler with a connection

Thats a cool story and nice pics, Shawn done a good job on the car. Thanks for sharing this.

Steve.
imopar380
Posted 2019-01-01 8:23 PM (#576123 - in reply to #576117)
Subject: RE: 1961 Chrysler with a connection

Expert 5K+

This is prior to restoration.

(shawnsmith12.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments shawnsmith12.jpg (158KB - 130 downloads)
R41HP
Posted 2019-01-08 12:47 PM (#576498 - in reply to #576109)
Subject: Re: 1961 Chrysler with a connection

Veteran

Looks like a good solid car to start with, and great to have the history. It's interesting to note the differences on the Canadian build. My first car was a US '61 Windsor two-door - in a much less flashy Alaskan White with brown interior.
Viper Guy
Posted 2019-01-08 5:29 PM (#576505 - in reply to #576109)

Expert

Very nice! Just curious about the Astradome dash - is that all working in fine fashion too? I had a '60 Chrysler Windsor and the dash worked perfectly, gages and lights, and was a super big hit at cruise nights. Nothing else like it.
imopar380
Posted 2019-01-11 5:21 PM (#576600 - in reply to #576498)

Expert 5K+

R41HP - 2019-01-08 9:47 AM

Looks like a good solid car to start with, and great to have the history. It's interesting to note the differences on the Canadian build. My first car was a US '61 Windsor two-door - in a much less flashy Alaskan White with brown interior.

The Canadian built 1961 Windsor was model # RC-1-L equivalent to the US 1961 Newport, but with a much nicer interior. The Canadian 60-62 Chryslers all came standard with the deluxe steering wheel with the clear plastic rim, although this car's wheel was restored with a solid color rim.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)