The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tips pulling the engine?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

ViperMan
Posted 2019-01-07 2:59 PM (#576442)
Subject: Tips pulling the engine?

Regular

So as you can see below, I've begun tearing the car apart for the commencement of Project K-Rod. More on that coming later, but for now I've gotten all the sheet metal off the front of the car and am preparing to pull the motor this weekend.

I got a few tips on the Facebook page got some tips on disconnecting the parking brake and cross member under the car. What I'm not to sure of is where to disconnect the motor mounts. I see four bolts on each side - the fronts look easy to get to but the backs appear to be shielded by the exhaust manifolds on each side. Any tips for getting the motor mounts apart?

And I don't even wanna think about what the exhaust is going to put me through... I might just try to pull it out exhaust and all since I can go straight out the front with it, and then deal with the rusted bolts with full accessibility...

(IMG_2941.JPG)

(IMG_2940.JPG)

(IMG_2942.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2941.JPG (332KB - 119 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2940.JPG (391KB - 131 downloads)
Attachments IMG_2942.JPG (483KB - 130 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
60 dart
Posted 2019-01-07 3:33 PM (#576449 - in reply to #576442)
Subject: Re: Tips pulling the engine?

Expert 5K+

take anything big off , like gen , fan and speedo cable ground cable . get everything out of the way you can . looks like there is only 2 bolts per front motor mounts bolts pointing down you need to worry about
old exhaust pipe rusty , cut it . exhaust ,manifolds next . but if you cut the old pipes close to the manifolds , that should be enough . those trans cross member bolt threads look bad . if you can dremel
the threads as much as possible , soak em with good oil , they might come off . or you can torch the nuts only "red hot" they'll come right off after cleaning of course . don't want to forget the driveshaft .
pretty much go over the motor and trans lookin to make sure nothin is connected that will impair motor removal . it's pretty much just time consuming but kinda easy , even for beginners -----------------------------------later

Edited by 60 dart 2019-01-07 3:35 PM
ViperMan
Posted 2019-01-07 4:11 PM (#576455 - in reply to #576449)
Subject: Re: Tips pulling the engine?

Regular

For the driveshaft I was told to take off those four bolts on the e-brake drum and disconnect the e-brake linkage. I was wondering about underside of the motor mounts but they look just as bad to get to. I'll take a closer look.

I'm actually wondering if I can separate the exhaust there at that glass-pack and just slide it right out the front.

The only bolts that have caused me trouble so far were the underside of the lower grill valiance - they simply snapped in half as I started to apply torque. Everything else has been easy... ...knock on wood...!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)