The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Engine fire :(
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

imperial2100
Posted 2019-03-23 9:08 PM (#579788)
Subject: Engine fire :(

Veteran

Just finished a painful 6 month process of replacing the bumpers with all new chrome ones on my 57 Imperial. It was a warm day, so I charged the battery to start the car for the first time this year. After about 20 seconds of running, there was a loud pop like a weird backfire and the engine burst into flames. Took three fire extinguishers to get it out. The hood was up, so I don't think it damaged the hood too much, but it melted some rubber stripping on the hood and behind the carb it's all torched. I have not assessed all the damage yet, will have to hose off all the chemicals tomorrow and inspect it.

Question is, has anyone had an engine fire like this before and is something like this covered by insurance or is it not worth the effort and I just chalk it up to bad luck and start working to get it running again?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
imperial2100
Posted 2019-03-23 9:11 PM (#579789 - in reply to #579788)
Subject: RE: Engine fire :(

Veteran

Picture after the fire was out...

(re_800_20190323_191515.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments re_800_20190323_191515.jpg (99KB - 194 downloads)
Viper Guy
Posted 2019-03-23 9:37 PM (#579790 - in reply to #579788)
Subject: Re: Engine fire :(

Expert

Ooooo - not a pretty sight but could have been worse. Looks like it can be cleaned up nicely but you need to find out what caused it or it could happen again. Check with your insurance company to see if you have any coverage - it’s worth the effort as the worst they can say is “no”.
imperial2100
Posted 2019-03-23 9:43 PM (#579791 - in reply to #579790)

Veteran

Yes, it could have been much worse. Had we not had the extinguishers around, it would have been very bad. Had one in the trunk, another in the tool bin inside the garage, and the third came from the kitchen.

After researching some, it looks like mechanical failure causing fire may be covered. Seems that people get hassled if they didn't have anything to put the fire out with, but since I did and managed to save the car, I would assume the cost is going to be low even for a shop to restore it.

Still just really bummed about it all, I was really looking forward to cruising around with the shiny new bumpers.
imperial2100
Posted 2019-03-23 9:48 PM (#579795 - in reply to #579788)

Veteran

As this was my first car fire, I got a chance to try out both of my extinguisher types - a flare style and a traditional compressed can. The flare advertises it does better than a traditional as it lasts longer.

My experience is the flare was almost useless. The fire inhibiting smoke that comes out of it couldn't reach down behind the engine to choke it out, so the fire back there kept drawing fresh air from under the car. The traditional compressed can shot powder and stuff all over and did an excellent job at putting it out. It still started up a few more times, but a few quick puffs and it would go out.

I highly recommend a compressed can over the flare style. If I had a box full of the flares, I still wouldn't have got that fire out. Just ordered several more extinguishers to place around the house and in the trunks of each car to be safe, but wanted to mention it in case anyone is depending on a flare style extinguisher to save them - replace it!
Fireflite56
Posted 2019-03-23 11:42 PM (#579802 - in reply to #579788)

Extreme Veteran

Sorry to hear about the fire. Can you please post photos of the two styles of extinguisher so we can check ours and make sure they are the correct style?
imperial2100
Posted 2019-03-24 12:24 AM (#579805 - in reply to #579788)

Veteran

Here's a link to the Element brand of flare extinguishers I'm referring to. This is the exact one I used that did not work.
https://elementfire.com/pages/models

The kind that did was your typical canister style you can buy anywhere. Those are compressed canisters that shoot out and will get to where you need them, like where the fire is burning.
mikes2nd
Posted 2019-03-24 11:22 AM (#579813 - in reply to #579788)

Expert 5K+

Fuel line break up the carb?

cant tell where the gas leak is?
imperial2100
Posted 2019-03-24 11:42 AM (#579814 - in reply to #579813)

Veteran

mikes2nd - 2019-03-24 12:22 PM

Fuel line break up the carb?

cant tell where the gas leak is?

The explosion came from the crankcase I'm pretty sure as when it happened the oil filler cap blew off and across the driveway. The crankcase explosion must have caused a lot of pressure in the carb and caused fuel to blow out all over the place... maybe causing the fuel line to come off the back, who knows. I haven't been out yet today to inspect the damage, I'm waiting till noon to call insurance to see if they need me to leave it alone until someone can see it or if I can go ahead and hose it off.
wizard
Posted 2019-03-24 12:23 PM (#579820 - in reply to #579788)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

What a pity - very sorry for this bad new, but it could have gone much worse.

Please keep us posted, many here are very curious to what actually happened.

Could be that the carburetor flooded down the intake manifold, leaked past the piston rings.

But then the engine would had a very crappy idle while flooding.
imperial2100
Posted 2019-03-24 12:29 PM (#579823 - in reply to #579820)

Veteran

wizard - 2019-03-24 1:23 PM

What a pity - very sorry for this bad new, but it could have gone much worse.

Please keep us posted, many here are very curious to what actually happened.

Could be that the carburetor flooded down the intake manifold, leaked past the piston rings.

But then the engine would had a very crappy idle while flooding.

I'm more interested than anyone as to what caused it. I'll definitely keep everyone informed.

The really strange part is the engine was running fine for about 30 seconds or more before it happened. As you say, if it was flooded or some other issue, it would not run smoothly. An insurance adjuster will likely be out on Monday to look it over, so they have asked I do not touch anything at this time, so we'll see what cause they file with the report.

I was just out there looking it over, and the filler tube leading directly into the crankcase is full of that extinguisher powder.. not good. The paint on the hood is also destroyed as it heated up so much it discolored and is flaking up.
wizard
Posted 2019-03-24 12:52 PM (#579825 - in reply to #579788)

Thanks'! Yes the powder extinguishers do make a horrible mess - as I understand it, it's more or less normal bicarbonate they use in tose extinguishers.

I think that you'll have to pull the valve cover and see if it's possible to scoop up the worst, followed by rinsing with diesel ans an oil change.

I have a 2kg carbon dioxide fire extinguisher in the trunk - that fellow will do the trick without making a mess.
mikes2nd
Posted 2019-03-24 3:42 PM (#579832 - in reply to #579788)

Expert 5K+

you must have somehow leaked gas into the crank case, in 20 seconds somehow heat or flame got in there and the whole thing exploded, im trying to think how it could have possibly gotten into the crank case.

maybe it seeped out the carb and puddled below the intake manifold and drained into the engine?

hergfest
Posted 2019-03-25 4:36 AM (#579857 - in reply to #579788)

Regular

Make sure you get that engine bay cleaned up soon that Fire Extinguisher stuff is caustic.
imperial2100
Posted 2019-03-25 1:29 PM (#579883 - in reply to #579788)

Veteran

I just heard back from the adjuster at Hagerty, they have it down as no-fault and will cover all damages beyond the $500 deductible. I couldn't be happier with Hagerty, they have definitely treated me right over the years. This is my second claim I've filed with them, and both times they have done well.

So I may be missing out on the start of the cruising season, but the old girl will drive again soon!
mikes2nd
Posted 2019-03-25 2:54 PM (#579889 - in reply to #579788)

Expert 5K+

that's great news, even better you saved it... I'm going to buy some extra extinguishers today :0

Are you going to take it somewhere? that deductible is pretty high but hey...

imperial2100
Posted 2019-03-25 5:37 PM (#579905 - in reply to #579788)

Veteran

I just received a call back from the company that makes the Element extinguishers as they wanted to hear what happened. I explained to them it came down to a matter of pressure and air movement. The flare extinguisher didn't have the pressure to blow the smoke down behind the engine where the fire was coming from and the little bit of air movement was simply carrying the smoke away from the car almost immediately, allowing a flame up on the top area that it could reach for the short time the smoke floated in that area.

He gave me several sales pitches during the conversation, but I got the impression there's been several cases like this as he mentioned he hears how well it works as well as other cases like mine. He tried to tell me they do not work well for large vehicles like mine, and they are more designed for a Porsche where you can stick it into the small engine space and close the lid while it smokes out the fire. I told them this was misleading as their site specifically states it's designed for classic cars.

Anyway, we didn't come to an agreement that their product sucks, but they are going to refund the cost of their flare extinguishers I purchased last year.

I can see where if you were in an enclosed space, like a close garage, then maybe if you had two or three of these things, you could smoke up the area well enough to have it reach the source of your flame. Short of that, it's dangerous in my opinion for anything else in a real world setting.
imperial2100
Posted 2019-03-25 5:41 PM (#579906 - in reply to #579889)

Veteran

mikes2nd - 2019-03-25 3:54 PM
Are you going to take it somewhere? that deductible is pretty high but hey...

Yes, I'm going to take it to a classic car shop around here. They said I can take it anywhere, so I'll find the one that has the best reviews probably.

The deductible isn't too bad in my mind, as this will likely come out to be several thousand dollars to repair. They appraise the repairs up front and provide that money to get it started, and then if there are other things they find wrong during the repair process, they simply pay the difference. They really do a good job at supporting these types of claims. I'm pretty happy with Hagerty about this so far as they could have simply said it wasn't their problem to cover it.
westaus29
Posted 2019-03-26 5:26 AM (#579928 - in reply to #579788)

Veteran

Very sorry to hear about the fire, but you did a great job putting it out. I have a powder extinguisher in each car but would hate to have to get to them in a hurry. I need to get one for shed also as a friend had his car and shed totalled recently after a fuel leak while running in shed.
The only time I have ended up with petrol/gas in sump of a 'modern' car was when I put a non venting cap on the fuel tank. It pressurised in the hot sun and filled the sump and one cylinder. Luckily it didnt catch fire, just wouldnt turn over due to full cylinder. Eventually started, drove home and changed oil - stupid, wouldnt do that again! I wondered if maybe you have had the carby float stick so fuel poured in, but then it wouldnt run right. Or maybe if you have an electric pump it forced fuel in while it was priming the system. There must be other possibilities and it would be good to know what caused it.
local2Ed
Posted 2019-03-26 8:12 AM (#579931 - in reply to #579788)

Extreme Veteran

If it was gas fumes that exploded in the crankcase it may have blown out other engine gaskets like the valve cover gaskets.

A couple years back I just brought home a non-running 1957 Dodge Sierra. I pulled the plugs, oiled the cylinders and hooked up a gas can to the carburetor and had it running. It ran rough and smoked quite a bit but I felt that since it hadn't been run in years it was to be expected.

Before I decided to do a compression test I had been playing around with it for a couple days. One day when I reaching over the front of the car to work the throttle linkage while it was running suddenly everything went white and there was an explosion. The only thing that stopped the oil fill cap from being launched into space was my forearm.

After my ears stopped ringing and explaining to my wife that the explosion she heard in the house did indeed come from this car I was working on, I noticed both valve cover gasket parts blown about the engine and the valley cover gasket that is under the intake manifold on a 325 cu. in. poly engine had blown out and had pieces all under the manifold.

A compression check showed zero compression in cylinder 7 and removing the head revealed a hole in the piston which I believed was the cause of the initial rough running and smoking. It allowed the crankcase to fill with gas fumes.
imperial2100
Posted 2019-03-26 9:42 AM (#579932 - in reply to #579788)

Veteran

Since I have it on video I can go back and watch it, but there's no sound. Like in your experience, local2Ed, the filler cap would have launched into space, but it hit the hood and also had a hose connecting it to the air filter, so that hose slowed it down as it ripped the hose off and took it with it, and the hood slowed it down more. Even still, it can be seen on the video shooting out of the garage and across the driveway. This is why I believe it was an explosion in the crankcase just as you describe.

Until it gets into a shop where they can dig into it, I probably won't know what caused it. The bad part was the fire caused by the explosion pushing all that pressure back up into the intake where the carb blew out a bunch of gas that immediately caught fire. The immediate burst of flames and eventual burning down the back of the engine. I do not have an electric fuel pump, so it only pumped fuel into the carb as the engine was running. The moment the explosion happened, I turned the key to shut the car off. At the time I have no idea if it was still running and it also seemed like 10 seconds between the explosion, the thought process of get out or turn off the car, and when I finally turned off the car. In reality, it was a fraction of a second as you can see in the video. Anyway, if the engine was running, it was turned off immediately after the explosion causing no more fuel to be pumped in. At that point ti was only the bowls of fuel in the carb.

As for other seals and parts, I don't see any other visual damage other than the fire damage. Who knows what the cylinders look like though, one may have a hole in it or a cracked ring.

Edited by imperial2100 2019-03-26 9:44 AM
Powerflite
Posted 2019-03-26 11:59 AM (#579940 - in reply to #579788)

Expert 5K+

Definitely start with a compression test. The only thing I can think of that would cause something like this is a bad compression problem: either broken rings, a gouge in the cylinder wall or a hole in the piston. Unfortuntely, EVERY possibility that would cause an explosion in the crankcase involves rebuilding the motor. The only other way something similar to this could happen is if it backfired through the intake, not through the crankcase. But that shouldn't cause your oil cap to blow off.

The 392 hemi is prone to cracking the head at the spark plug-to-intake valve area. If there was a significant crack there, I could see getting a backfire through the intake, but this still shouldn't cause pressure in the crankcase. Worst case crack would let pressure into your coolant, but this isn't typical.
udoittwo
Posted 2019-03-27 7:26 AM (#579967 - in reply to #579788)

Expert

Sorry to hear about your car but it looks like you are a very lucky person. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way.
This was a 1969 427/435HP Vette with 25,000 miles. From then on, I always keep a fire extinguisher in all my cars.

(Picture 003.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Picture 003.jpg (63KB - 184 downloads)
imperial2100
Posted 2019-03-27 9:48 AM (#579969 - in reply to #579967)

Veteran

Sorry to hear about the vette, hate to see them totally lost. My wife's 60 tbird will be a tough one as the top consumes the entire trunk. As our two cars are rarely apart, I'll likely just keep a 5# powder extinguisher in my car's trunk in the future to cover both cars. Whenever I get my car back that is.
imperial2100
Posted 2019-03-27 12:02 PM (#579980 - in reply to #579788)

Veteran

When looking around for a shop to handle rebuilding the engine, would you guys recommend finding a place that will do it in-house or a place that sends it out for another shop to rebuild it? And if anyone has a recommendation for a place around mid Ohio, please let me know.
wizard
Posted 2019-03-27 4:19 PM (#579996 - in reply to #579788)

I recommend you to chose a shop that will do it in-house - that way you have one interface instead of two-three.
b5rt
Posted 2019-03-27 10:22 PM (#580009 - in reply to #579788)

Expert

I had a fuel fire underhood on a GTX years ago. I was able to quickly extinguish it with a small Halon extinguisher I kept in the car. The price has gone up but there's no mess, no residue to clean up. And there's no material to keep the needle from seating so they can be reused if you only use a small bit.
mikes2nd
Posted 2019-03-28 3:27 AM (#580018 - in reply to #579788)

Expert 5K+

yeah out source is bad... hah bring it up to Akron, ill fix it
imperial2100
Posted 2019-03-28 9:49 AM (#580026 - in reply to #580018)

Veteran

If you want to rebuild the engine, paint the hood, and fix whatever else might be wrong with it, and charge retail prices doing it, then I'm game At this point, insurance will allow me to take it anywhere I want.

Other than Mike's Akron shop, anyone else have any suggestions for mid Ohio?
mikes2nd
Posted 2019-03-28 3:46 PM (#580036 - in reply to #579788)

Expert 5K+

I'm not a licensed insured shop, im sure Haggarty wont write me a check I would expect this is going to run 5-10k at your typical restorer. I'm sure some will quote 20k because they can just pull it out their arse and I can probably find someone who will quote you 30-50k... if your wiring harness is fried that will cost. Other items are fairly reasonable. Generator, power steering lines, fuel lines, hoses etc. Power steering bellow burnt? You have to get quotes for Haggarty I assume? Obviously the carb needs to be replaced/completely rebuild.

How long did the burn last? How bad is the bellows? its hard to tell just how bad the damage is from that pic. Is all the rubber gone?

Strip/clean and Paint hood 600-1000$, carb 500$, harness/wiring 1000$?, hoses 100-200$, generator? 300$? Brake booster 300$, clean and paint/labor 2000-3000$?

The problem is forward look cars, these local shops can work on mustangs and crap but they probably have never even seen an imperial. I mean yes its just a simple 50's car but these parts aren't just ordered from Napa

I guess find a local well respected and manage them a bit, tell them the colors you need because they wont know. I think its just clean up. Painting and matching/blending the hood shouldnt be to bad.

I have seen so many crooked restoration shops, they sit on the car for months, then half ass it, charge a ton.

The engine will need pulled and opened up to check it out. Find out why it got gas/fumes got into the crankcase. Maybe you have a cracked head? Have you ever had an issue with oil? I would have them magnafluxed to check for cracks.

Unless you know there is a carb leak? did you ever smell gas? "hah"...

Maybe ship it out to Bo? if he's still taking jobs.

I have dealt with a "restorer" lately.. wow the guy was a crook, i didnt lose much but definatley check your local court system for civil and criminal filings against them, better business burea is worthless also but check it. I would start assessing what actually is going to need replaced first.

Have you posted on the Imperial site? They might know someone. Obviously a Imperial restorer would be the best way to go to get it done 100%
mikes2nd
Posted 2019-03-28 4:13 PM (#580037 - in reply to #579788)

Expert 5K+

Let me know how Haggarty operates, I assume you need to get estimates and submit?

then they write the check once you pick one or they write check directly to the shop?

If they will write you a check for "the damage" you could piece meal it. Any good paint shop can handle the hood.

then manage the engine compartment separately?
imperial2100
Posted 2019-03-28 5:41 PM (#580041 - in reply to #579788)

Veteran

They send an appraiser out (that happened this morning) who will come up with a low ball estimate. They then write me a check for that amount and I can give that directly to the shop to start the work. Whenever the shop is finished, they write a second check for the additional amount directly to the shop for the work. So if they give me say 2k now and it comes out to be 5k, they'll write another 3k to the shop. They don't haggle or anything, and allow me to take it to whatever shop or place of repair I want. I believe they simply want evidence of where the money is going to, such as a picture of the finished repairs.
imperial2100
Posted 2019-03-29 3:17 PM (#580084 - in reply to #579788)

Veteran

I've been asking around and looking at customer reviews for different shops. I settled on a place locally called A-Z Auto Body and Classic Car Restoration. They picked the car up today and while they do not rebuild the engine in-house (I couldn't find any shops doing that) they did assure me it would only take about 3 weeks to have it rebuilt.

While it's in their shop, I discussed paint options with them as they will need to repaint the hood. Decided while it's going in, will get a full paint job to ensure it matches and looks as good as it can. When it comes out, it should look great, with all fresh paint, new bumpers that I installed over the winter, and a great looking/running engine.

Wasn't planning to invest this money in it now, but now is the best time as I worked out a deal since it will be taking up space in their shop anyway.

Will get pictures of it on here whenever it comes back... if all goes well.
mikes2nd
Posted 2019-03-29 5:23 PM (#580094 - in reply to #579788)

Expert 5K+

Id watch out...

https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/a-z-autobody-and-restorationcol...

have them explain this... did you give them money?
imperial2100
Posted 2019-03-29 9:08 PM (#580102 - in reply to #579788)

Veteran

Every company I looked into had some form of bad review. If I avoided every company that had the one or two angry customers, I'd never get my car fixed. When I was investigating, I would only consider places that had plenty of feedback, so a shop that had only two reviews was out of the question. Of the feedback, I wanted to see them have overall good reviews, and I wanted to see the company responding to negative reviews trying to make it right.

A-Z was one of those places that passed that test, so I called them as well as a few other places and A-Z seemed like they were very knowledgeable and were giving me reasonable timelines. Only time will tell though, so we'll see.
udoittwo
Posted 2019-04-07 8:51 AM (#580484 - in reply to #579788)

Expert

Speaking of fires. Yesterday going through Valley Forge Park, I smelled something hot. The car shut off. I was right at a parking area and was able to pull off the road and then smoke poured out from under the dash.
I reached up under hoping to part whatever was shorting and sparks flew. I never keep my hot battery terminal more than hand tight. So I quickly popped off the terminal.

I have owned many classic cars since my 1957 Belair in 1969. Unless you climb under there, you never know what was done to the wires under the dash and almost every car I owned was messed with.
I'll bet I have had at least a dozen times that something fried under my dashes. A couple of them were my fault so I started putting a battery switch on my older cars just never got around to it on this one.
That's why, fortunately, I left the batt. terminal loose.

Haven't really looked at it yet but the wires in the engine comp. are fine. Felt under dash and found a fried wire to the ign. switch. It crossed at least 1 other wire which might be my radio as it doesn't work.
I think the wire to the coil cut on the firewall? I cut the fried wire off the ign switch and touched the batt cable with no unusual draw. The starter worked but would not fire.

I don't carry a phone so I had to get home myself. I ran a piece of wire from the batt. to the coil and it fired up and got her home.

I have another wiring harness from an AC car. I'll have to look at the wiring diagrams to see what the differences are and if I can use it.
I think I will add a fuse box. Just wondering what do you fuse and what amp fuses do you use?
plymouth
Posted 2019-04-07 9:50 AM (#580487 - in reply to #580484)

Expert

Lots of things can be done to help minimize the chance of electrical fires. Purists will disagree, but bypassing the ammeter, adding fuses, adding relays for the headlights and ignition, inspect wires for fatigue, and make certain all connections are clean and tight. Adding a fusible link from the main power wire what also be a boon to safety.
wizard
Posted 2019-04-07 11:38 AM (#580489 - in reply to #579788)

I have double wire gauge through the ammeter and fuse links (main and horn) plus a battery disconnector.
Most of these improvement blends in or are hidden.
normsclassicradio
Posted 2019-04-08 5:20 PM (#580548 - in reply to #579788)

Veteran

I put Maxi fuse holders in the 64. (It died in 77 of a shorted out alternator wire. burned the harness up to the ammeter and out to the battery.) I put 1 in the main feed before the firewall. And put a second one in the wire to the alternator. I also modified a 63 harness to work in my 64, as it had lug terminals for the ammeter wires instead of the spade connections in the bulkhead connector. I had to enlarge the hole slightly.
Norm

Edited by normsclassicradio 2019-04-08 5:22 PM

(20180426_191936.jpg)

(20180126_213933.jpg)

(20180126_213956.jpg)

(20180129_200502.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20180426_191936.jpg (104KB - 172 downloads)
Attachments 20180126_213933.jpg (83KB - 178 downloads)
Attachments 20180126_213956.jpg (81KB - 174 downloads)
Attachments 20180129_200502.jpg (97KB - 205 downloads)
imperial2100
Posted 2019-06-10 11:34 AM (#583206 - in reply to #579788)

Veteran

A quick update on where things stand. Mike was correct, this shop is no good... it has been THE WORST experience I have ever had with a shop in my life. They have given me the run around for over two months now, with repeated excuses while they try to get money out of the insurance company. I had asked the insurance company to only pay me, so their efforts were not successful.

I went down last week to check on the car and found they had moved it outside behind the shop, letting it sit there and rust in all the rain we've been having. I called a tow truck and wasn't going to let the car out of my sight until I had it on the back of that tow truck. Checked out the engine, they haven't touched anything. They didn't even do any inspection on the engine - everything is as it was when I dropped it off. All charred wires still in place, extinguisher dist still on the engine... nothing. All along they have been telling the insurance company they had done an engine tear down and were trying to get somewhere around $10,000 in supplements paid to them.

They still have some of my money and a few parts I gave them to use on the engine, but I now have a signed agreement from them they will return the parts this week and the money by the end of the month. I am doubtful on the money, so I'm starting to spin up a lawyer now to prepare for it.

Worst part, beyond losing all this time, is the car has been out in the elements running in a back lot and I'm already seeing some new rust bubbles popping up. Now I'm back to square one, trying to track down a good shop to take the car to.

I am most frustrated about the reviews on google for this business. I've been watching them over the past few months and bad reviews pop up and then are removed. I assume they are somehow filing complaints with Google to have them removed, so you can't trust Google reviews it seems.
Powerflite
Posted 2019-06-10 12:03 PM (#583209 - in reply to #579788)

Expert 5K+

Sorry to hear that. That's awful. Removing feedback is probably the result of companies like Reputation Defender. If you do end up filing a lawsuit, have your lawyer also sue whatever company was used to remove the complaints. You have a very good case there. Find a shop by word of mouth from locals in your area. Seems to be the only good way.
arizona mopar gold
Posted 2019-06-10 3:05 PM (#583221 - in reply to #579788)

Extreme Veteran

Late to the party here...I didn't read "all" the comments but was thumbing thru , a crankcase explosion is caused by a leaking fuel pump...when the diaphragm goes out on the fuel pump...it will either pump fuel out the weep hole in the side of the pump or it just fills the crankcase up with raw fuel...and as the oil and gas is mixed enough that the fuel dilutes the oil it will explode and you get what happened to your vehicle.

Edited by arizona mopar gold 2019-06-10 3:09 PM
Powerflite
Posted 2019-06-10 3:29 PM (#583231 - in reply to #579788)

Expert 5K+

But....only if you have an ignition event that enters the crankcase. I had an enormous amount of fuel in my oil and never had a problem driving that way because there was no ignition event.
mikes2nd
Posted 2019-06-10 10:30 PM (#583260 - in reply to #579788)

Expert 5K+

Ripoff report is real man, I warned you but I know you had already pulled the trigger to gamble. I wouldn't pay anyone a dime until they really show they are going to do the work. Leave them a review on ripoff report once this is over. I would have the engine removed and send that off somewhere? maybe find a local engine shop? Break it down in smaller parts. Just find a normal body shop to just do the "paint and body". Then find someone to handle the electric and engine. Hell yank the engine out and hand the car off to a normal body shop. To many of these restorations shops are total crooks.

better business had 5 complaints man!  holy crap...

they will change their name again... im sure they changed their name from before.

https://www.bbb.org/us/oh/columbus/profile/auto-body-repair-and-painting/a-z-auto-body-repair-classic-restoration-0302-70103192/complaints

Edited by mikes2nd 2019-06-10 10:35 PM
bad58mike
Posted 2019-06-10 10:50 PM (#583265 - in reply to #579788)

Elite Veteran

close call! glad your ok and saved this beautiful car.

Recommend C02 fire extinguisers, very clean, no chemical powders.

watch below, jay lenos garage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTdHmZ-FC4s
1961plymouthfury
Posted 2019-06-24 2:40 AM (#583971 - in reply to #579788)

Expert

That sucks this happened good luck with the repairs
1961plymouthfury
Posted 2019-06-24 2:40 AM (#583972 - in reply to #579788)

Expert

That sucks this happened good luck with the repairs
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)