The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rear Shocks for 55 and 56 Dodges and Plymouths
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format
 
56D500boy
Posted 2019-04-29 1:52 AM (#581484)
Subject: Rear Shocks for 55 and 56 Dodges and Plymouths



Expert

Posts: 4752
200020005001001002525
Location: Lower Mainland BC
Based on 71charger_fan (Terrence D.) said about the shocks he installed on his 55 Savoy wagon, i.e.

71charger_fan - 2019-04-18 8:24 AM

The rear shocks are the same application as later A-body rears. I think they were 81469.


On that basis, I chased Gabriel 81469s at Rock Auto and then went back in and pretended my car was a 68 Dodge Dart 340 (which would be okay to have ) and got the result below.

Because of the terrible exchange rate (CDN to US$) and shipping I phoned around locally (Vancouver BC area). Lordco, Napa, Wescan and Canadian Tire. Lordco doesn't do Gabriels but they do Monroe and they list the 31131s but their price was high.

I tried Canadian Tire and then discovered something interesting: Canadian Tire lists them but didn't have any locally, so they phoned Lordco and got me a price that was much better than what Lordco offered. SO, I jumped on the Monroe 31131s and they were in the store two hours later. I picked them up the next day and installed them over the weekend.

I sprayed the nuts and the exposed threads on the mounting studs (the upper on the frame and bottom on the spring mount) with Moovit and let that soak for an hour or so. Then I used a long 3/4" box end to break the nuts loose (didn't take much effort). The new shocks didn't come with new mounting hardware (but at the price I paid, I can't complain), so I cleaned up and wire brushed the big shock washers and the nuts. Then I painted them with Tremclad Gloss Aluminum rust paint and let them dry (nice day). Installing the shocks was easy once I realized that I should clean off the non-threaded part of the mounting stud (with an abrasive pad (Scotchbrite)) and then sprayed some WD40 into the rubber mounts. That made the new shocks slip onto the mounting studs very easily. When the freshly painted washers and nuts dried (about an hour), I installed the washers and nuts. I noticed that the nuts had a built in lip/washer to slip on the big shock mount washer so I made sure to have that side of the nut in contact with the shock mount washer. After tightening the nuts by hand (to make sure that they weren't cross-threaded), I used a 3/4" ratcheting box end to snug the nuts down. I used the German spec, "Gutentight".

Now to finally do the front shocks. ("Front shocks for a Ford Aerostar RWD (not AWD) are a direct bolt in with NO modifications required. This makes the KYB number KG5460.") (At least they came with new hardware)

(Screen Shot - not a live link):






Edited by 56D500boy 2019-04-29 1:54 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread



(Delete all cookies set by this site)