The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Radio not working and Gas gauge erratic
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

JimBrennan
Posted 2019-05-05 11:40 AM (#581805)
Subject: Radio not working and Gas gauge erratic

The radio in our 56 Belvedere no longer works, I can see various tubes are lit on the back so believe it's getting power. When I installed this radio years ago I recall having to do something with the capacitor on the back of the radio.

The gas gauge swings wildly from full to empty after I fill the gas tank yesterday.

Aside from finding someone knowledgeable who does this type of repairs (which I'm attempting to do) any suggestions on these two things?

Appreciate any help offered.
Jim B
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ronbo97
Posted 2019-05-05 10:37 PM (#581845 - in reply to #581805)
Subject: RE: Radio not working and Gas gauge erratic

Expert

JimBrennan - 2019-05-05 11:40 AM The radio in our 56 Belvedere no longer works, I can see various tubes are lit on the back so believe it's getting power. When I installed this radio years ago I recall having to do something with the capacitor on the back of the radio. The gas gauge swings wildly from full to empty after I fill the gas tank yesterday. Aside from finding someone knowledgeable who does this type of repairs (which I'm attempting to do) any suggestions on these two things? Appreciate any help offered. Jim B

You may need a new vibrator, which is the large silver cylinder on the back of the radio. Also, chances are the the old capacitors need replacement. This is a job for a radio guy.

Gas sending unit is accessable thru the trunk floor. Pull it out and see that the resistance is within spec. May need cleaning or rebuilding.

If you don't have a factory shop manual, now is the time to get one. Also, a 55-6 parts book has a ton of useful information.

Ron

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)