The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What components on the 1957- 1958 plymouth contains asbestos ?? ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

johnnybuick
Posted 2019-07-10 1:39 PM (#584655)
Subject: What components on the 1957- 1958 plymouth contains asbestos ?? ?

Veteran

Hi... can anyone offer information as to whom may be best to contact at the OEM Chrysler archives or elsewhere and find out as to what components may or infact be made or carry asbestos if any on the 1957/58 plymouth.

I ask this being i am in the midst of importing a plymouth to Australia..& in recent years Australia , has a zero tolerance on importing any thing and or cars containing asbestos or items/parts carrying asbestos trace elements...
( like the electrical wiring wrapping tape etc to some body deadener & sealants)

Basically its a $3000 fine ..If one has failed to obtain paperwork showing testing was done prior to importing from the buyer overseas....
At the Australian border depot once car lands ..and if you get picked..a Lab hygienist is to be hired by the importer to test components & a qualified mechanic is also hired to remove suspect components to be tested...just to test 1 brake shoe the cost is $300...
if you think what ive just said sounds like a nightmare ..pls view link below to see what i am up against.. one importer was actually fined $200k i was told by my customs clearance officer when i called them few days ago...
The average importer is now paying between $8k-$20k per import more than they should ..my vehicle is still on water heading from NL .
so..
I would really appreciate anyones efforts as to pointing me in the right direction to ascertain further info regarding obtaining exactly what components do or may contain asbestos in this model.. If i can get a letter showing no asbestos from the OEM ...THAT WOULD BE A MIRACLE...!! ..Anyhow's thanks in advance !

Click link below to be amazed...

honestly its a joke !! Someone help ..S.O.S !!!

http://www.performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?67311881-imp...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Powerflite
Posted 2019-07-10 6:47 PM (#584672 - in reply to #584655)
Subject: Re: What components on the 1957- 1958 plymouth contains asbestos ?? ?

Expert 5K+

Remove all the brake shoes from the car, including the e-brake shoes on the back of the transmission. Also remove all the exhaust manifold gaskets. You will probably need to sandblast, clean & paint the backing plates & inside drums to prevent any dust from being there. Those are the places I know of, but not sure about anything else.

Looks like we should ban all Australian bureaucrats from coming to the US. We have enough lunatics here already as it is.
Powerflite
Posted 2019-07-10 6:48 PM (#584673 - in reply to #584672)

Expert 5K+

Also, if you have a choke that has a pipe going from the exhaust manifold to the carb, I believe that is wrapped in a material containing asbestos.
56D500boy
Posted 2019-07-10 9:10 PM (#584677 - in reply to #584673)

Expert 5K+

Powerflite - 2019-07-10 3:48 PM

Also, if you have a choke that has a pipe going from the exhaust manifold to the carb, I believe that is wrapped in a material containing asbestos.

Something like this (except this one is using more modern materials, e.g. fibreglass)

(NicelyDetailedEarly55_270HemiWithFactoryEmbossedValveCoversThatHaveBeenPainted.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments NicelyDetailedEarly55_270HemiWithFactoryEmbossedValveCoversThatHaveBeenPainted.jpg (136KB - 185 downloads)
wizard
Posted 2019-07-11 1:19 AM (#584682 - in reply to #584655)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

There might be asbestos in some of the engine gaskets as well - but they might have been exchanged over all those years.

I don't think that you can get a certificate that specify which parts that contained asbestos.

So here's a list of the parts I suspect;

- brake shoes, front and rear

- parking brake shoes

- exhaust gaskets (between manifold and head and between manifold and exhaust tube)

- eventually valley pan insulation

- heat riser tube (see above)

- rear crankshaft seal (braided)

- eventual heat insulator plate under the carburetor
mikes2nd
Posted 2019-07-11 2:36 AM (#584685 - in reply to #584655)

Expert 5K+

these cars are pretty heavy with asbestos.

I think some politician doesn't want you importing cars...

Our govt had rules big time also, they put restrictions on cars older than 25 years to keep foreign cars out of the market and this was all paid for by the "car dealers". That sounds outrageous and ill bet some politician got rich off doing that.
Oh... its because Chinese cars were coming in with tons of asbestos... That explains it a bit better. A chinese car importer I would think could eat a "simple" fine in order to mark it up so they made it really hurt if your bringing in asbestos...

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/12/08/asbestos...

These cars only have the spray on rubberized undercoating. Hood and firewall liner i would worry about. Carpet of course...

http://asbestosglobal.org/asbestos-in-cars/

I would be a little worried about the air ducts, i would pull all pads, all gaskets i could off easily. hood and roof liners, firewall pad(youll need to take the heater diverter off.

I would suggest you simply buy a car in Aus... I think thats what they want you to do.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/imported-cars-and-asbestos...

mikes2nd
Posted 2019-07-11 2:44 AM (#584687 - in reply to #584655)

Expert 5K+

the clutch pack in the auto transmission?

https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/news/1705/dock-drama-for-importer...
mikes2nd
Posted 2019-07-11 2:52 AM (#584688 - in reply to #584655)

Expert 5K+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJWuHtjLdXs

yank all gaskets off the engine... brakes and wash them down, hood liners any heat protection stuff.

oh its the Chinese that got you in trouble

johnnybuick
Posted 2019-07-11 6:03 AM (#584689 - in reply to #584655)

Veteran

Thanks to all..yes it was the chinese and it was their building products that were inferior aswell..
I know for a fact the vehicle im importing has had brake shoes and master cylinder changed to modern type being disc brake front..the choke riser tube looks to be removed..the interior roof liner has been changed as i know the insulation hidden behind that would of also probably contained asbestos & i know the hood insulation has been removed..im just unsure about the eng and trans internals... im unsure if the deadener in trunk qtrs may contain trace elements..what can i say , rolli'n the dice here ...
ttotired
Posted 2019-07-11 5:25 PM (#584711 - in reply to #584655)

Expert 5K+

For testing in Australia the laboratory must be accredited by the National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA); overseas test results will only be accepted by a “NATA-recognised equivalent”.
Australia’s prohibition on asbestos has been in place since 2003 and “the significant health risks of asbestos are well known”, said Mr Hledik. “We make no apologies for our work to protect the community from the significant dangers of asbestos.”
He said many overseas sellers will claim a car is asbestos-free “but importers shouldn’t rely on the assurances of the seller alone,” said Mr Hledik.
“Get it tested, or remove and replace the suspect parts, and you’ll save yourself a lot of time, effort and money when your car arrives in Australia.”

Most importers now arrange testing before they leave. I dont believe any list of what does or doesnt have asbestos would be of any help because of the peg it for testing, they will test everything.

It makes me laugh about their statement of having it replaced ect, particularly trapped engine parts and body deadener, they are 100% safe UNTIL they are disturbed, why touch them?

Brake and clutch, I can see that and even the heat riser tube insulation.

I will say though, that since the enforcement of this came into effect (it wasnt until the Chinese with their cheap cars got caught out that they bothered) I expected American/imported cars that are already here to dramatically increase in value, this I havnt seen

johnnybuick
Posted 2019-07-12 7:51 AM (#584730 - in reply to #584655)

Veteran

What makes me laugh with anger is the fact..this same government are going to build a facility 400 miles from where i live to store used Uranium shipped in from other countries...

its complete utter madness !!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)