The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wisconsin National DeSoto Club Convention
Moderators: safetymike77

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Local Regions -> Wisconsin & Minnesota RegionMessage format

Fireflite56
Posted 2019-08-15 10:13 AM (#586047)
Subject: Wisconsin National DeSoto Club Convention

Extreme Veteran

I am excited to announce that I will be hosting the NDC convention in Brookfield, Wisconsin July 29 - August 2, 2020. Details will be posted on the NDC website and the club magazine throughout the coming year.

https://desoto.org/
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jboymechanic
Posted 2019-08-15 12:57 PM (#586051 - in reply to #586047)
Subject: Re: Wisconsin National DeSoto Club Convention

Expert

Looking forward to it!
Fireflite56
Posted 2020-02-03 12:30 PM (#593769 - in reply to #586051)

Extreme Veteran

The itinerary and costs are set and the next issue of National DeSoto Club's magazine will contain these details and the registration form. If anyone would like to participate in the event or show a DeSoto and are not already a member, please join here:

https://desoto.org/membership/

Car show (August 1, 2020) spectator information will be available in the coming months. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

David
NDC 2020 Convention Chairman
Fireflite56
Posted 2020-05-11 6:20 PM (#598102 - in reply to #586047)

Extreme Veteran

35th Annual NDC Convention updates:

Registrations for the convention have started to come in and I am continuing to work through the finer details as we prepare for what should be a great convention! As these last several weeks have been a roller coaster around the country, I’ll start out by addressing the elephant in the room – coronavirus. Let me start by stating that at this point in time, I have no intentions of cancelling or rescheduling the convention. However, if the situation does not improve as we get closer to the event and we are unable to have the convention as planned, we will cancel for this year and reschedule for the same events and location in a similar time period in 2021. That decision would probably be made no later than the registration deadline at the end of June, which is about a month ahead from the event.

What does this mean for you? This means you should continue making your hotel reservations (remember they can be cancelled up to 72 hours prior to the event) and you should continue to send in registrations with the assumption the event is happening so I can continue to make arrangements based on attendance. Should the event get postponed, you can plan to receive a refund on your registration and we would then send out new registration forms next winter/spring for a 2021 event. Additionally, I will be posting updates on the website (www.desoto.org) forum, the NDC Facebook group, and the NDC convention event page on Facebook. If the event draws near and you are at all uncertain as to the status of things or cannot access the online resources, please feel free to reach out to me at the phone number or email listed in the front of the magazine. I remain optimistic that in three months (from this writing) things will be much better than they are now.

With that out of the way, I have a few additional convention details to add. First, this is the time in the year to start thinking about gift basket and raffle items for donation at the convention. Cheryl Bianco is helping me coordinate this and has led a great effort on the themed gift basket “challenge” the past couple conventions. Remember that the gift basket (or raffle item) that has the most ticket entries wins a gift card prize! If you have a donation or any questions, feel free to reach out to either of us (Cheryl can be reached at cheche6@me.com). Everything helps!

Additionally, the hotel has agreed to do a limited airport shuttle for NDC attendees arriving or departing at Mitchell International in Milwaukee. If this is something you would like to take advantage of, please reach out to me so I can put you in contact with the correct person at the hotel. She will need to know when you need to be picked up or dropped off, as well as the airline and flight number. You can email me at desoto2020@outlook.com.

Lastly, this information here supplements the detailed article found in the January-February “Adventures” magazine. If you are a new member and did not receive that magazine, but would like to get the convention details, please reach out to me and I will be happy to pass it along. Until next time, use this time stuck at home to get your DeSoto tuned up for the convention!

David Frank

2020 Convention Chairman

desoto2020@outlook.com

(DeSotoClub35th Final_a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DeSotoClub35th Final_a.jpg (316KB - 709 downloads)
Fireflite56
Posted 2020-06-02 3:08 PM (#599125 - in reply to #586047)
Subject: RE: Wisconsin National DeSoto Club Convention

Extreme Veteran

*Convention Postponed to 2021*

With much regret, we have decided to make the difficult, but necessary decision to postpone this year's convention to next year. The responses I received this past week from all of our venues indicated there would be too many unknowns and hurdles to overcome to proceed with any amount of confidence; some aren't even planning to open until after July. Added to that, the survey response showed only about half of the people were still willing to attend due to the virus and the majority supported postponing to 2021, making this a clear decision.

In preparation for a postponement, we tentatively reserved dates of July 28 - August 1, 2021 with the hotel and venues. Please put those dates on your calendars and we'll hope that next year is back to normal. At this time, expect that the information you have regarding the hotel, shirts, tours, pricing, etc. will be very close, if not the same. Updates to any of that will be published in the Adventures magazine.

For those of you that already registered, thank you for doing so as the early registrations really do help with planning. If you recently submitted yours, your check will be returned. For earlier registrations, I will be sending refund checks in the next week or two. We will then start out next year with fresh forms as if it is a new convention. For anyone that has hotel reservations, please cancel those and I will work with the hotel to set up the new block in the coming weeks.

Thanks again to everyone for their understanding, sympathy, and words of encouragement. This year has not been like anything anyone (myself included) would have expected, but we'll make it through. Take care everyone and hopefully the extra year gives you more time to get the DeSoto ready!

P.S. Next year the dates of the EAA Oshkosh AirVenture (HUGE air show about 1.5 hours north of the hotel) are during the week of our convention, so plane and aviation enthusiasts may want to strongly consider adding an extra day to the front end of your trip to attend that. You can find many details on their website (https://www.eaa.org/airventure) and lots of YouTube videos from the event. We attended a few years ago and I can tell you that seeing a flyover that includes the only two flyable B-29 bombers in the world, a B-17 bomber, multiple B-25 bombers, and all three current Air Force bombers is a sight that is absolutely overwhelming. And that's only a very small fraction of what you can see and do there.
mikes2nd
Posted 2020-06-02 3:30 PM (#599126 - in reply to #586047)

Expert 5K+

have a virtual one... each person shows up with their phone, they get one minute to intro their car, say hi.  Show off their Desoto.  You just need a Android or Iphone.

Edited by mikes2nd 2020-06-02 3:31 PM
Powerflite
Posted 2020-06-02 6:54 PM (#599133 - in reply to #586047)

Expert 5K+

I think a virtual meet could be fun if it is well-thought out with a time limit on each person or car.
mikes2nd
Posted 2020-06-02 11:36 PM (#599141 - in reply to #586047)

Expert 5K+

yeah its kind of tricky to get the next person. Maybe use facebook or youtube
Lancer Mike
Posted 2020-06-03 12:51 PM (#599158 - in reply to #599141)

Bummer!  I received my last issue of NDC Adventures and I was a little surprised it was still on.  Better safe than sorry I suppose.

Not a lot of car events this summer.

Fireflite56
Posted 2020-06-03 4:42 PM (#599166 - in reply to #599158)

Extreme Veteran

Lancer Mike - 2020-06-03 11:51 AM

Bummer!  I received my last issue of NDC Adventures and I was a little surprised it was still on.  Better safe than sorry I suppose.

Not a lot of car events this summer.

For the last magazine that came out in early May, the article would have been written in late March or early April - one drawback to an assembled and printed publication is lag time with time-sensitive information. At that time, we were hoping things would improve as we got closer to the event and also wanted to see what happened at the end of May when Wisconsin was scheduled to go off of the "stay-at-home" orders. We also didn't want to make a decision prematurely as it is relatively easy to cancel, but impossible to reschedule once cancelled. It wasn't a decision we took much joy in making, but we really ended up not having a choice with so many venues still unopened, uncertainty around reopening dates and distancing policies, and overall member feedback. We'll try again for 2021 and plan to make it even bigger and better!

Fireflite56
Posted 2020-11-11 5:31 PM (#605547 - in reply to #599166)

Extreme Veteran

The new dates for 2021 are July 28 - August 1. Same location, hotel, and itinerary as was planned for this year. I will be keeping the NDC website up to date with any breaking news, particularly regarding changes due to COVID such as we had this year. www.desoto.org.
Fireflite56
Posted 2021-05-11 10:02 AM (#611884 - in reply to #605547)

Extreme Veteran

Convention Update 5/11/2021 We are officially planning to proceed with the convention as-planned for this year, barring any drastic changes in the COVID situation! Please note that at this time masks will be required for most or all venues. Also, the show field location is TBD due to a non-COVID issue with the previously planned location. I will provide an update when that is figured out. Details and registration form can be found at www.desoto.org/events or email me at desoto2020@outlook.com with any specific questions. Event participation is for NDC members only, spectating is free to anyone. If you'd like to participate, such as showing a DeSoto, please be sure to join the club. You can easily do that at www.desoto.org/membership.

Edited by Fireflite56 2021-05-11 10:15 AM
Fireflite56
Posted 2021-05-15 2:23 AM (#611995 - in reply to #611884)

Extreme Veteran

Here is also the Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1301117020050967/
Fireflite56
Posted 2021-06-30 11:31 PM (#613216 - in reply to #611995)

Extreme Veteran

The convention is less than a month away and registrations are coming in strong! If you would like to participate, there is still time! The deadline has been extended to July 6th for a mailing date and the form can be found at www.desoto.org/events

Spectating on show day (Saturday, July 31, 9am-3pm) is open to anyone. The location is still TBD because the previous location was turned into a construction site. In the instance of rain, wet ground, or not finding an alternative park, we will be at the host hotel, which is the Sheraton in Brookfield. The plan is to still have a separate area for other old cars to park for people spectating to have an informal secondary show.
jboymechanic
Posted 2021-07-15 12:04 PM (#613533 - in reply to #586047)

Expert

Any luck finding a show location?
Fireflite56
Posted 2021-07-15 12:35 PM (#613537 - in reply to #613533)

Extreme Veteran

jboymechanic - 2021-07-15 11:04 AM Any luck finding a show location?

Funny you should mention it! I just sealed the deal on Tuesday with a new show location! It will be at the Knights of Columbus facility in Brookfield unless it rains and we stay at the hotel on the asphalt. The event flyer is attached below.

Edited by Fireflite56 2021-07-15 12:36 PM

(NDC 2021 Flyer.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments NDC 2021 Flyer.jpg (179KB - 385 downloads)
ronbo97
Posted 2021-07-15 2:26 PM (#613540 - in reply to #613537)

Expert

It looks like a nice location in a residential neighborhood. Sure beats a hotel parking lot. Let's hope for good weather !

Ron

jboymechanic
Posted 2021-07-19 3:13 PM (#613607 - in reply to #586047)

Expert

How many vehicles are you expecting to be there? Will there be enough room?
Fireflite56
Posted 2021-07-27 2:21 AM (#613823 - in reply to #613607)

Extreme Veteran

After having our original location get turned into a construction site, I was glad I was able to put this location together. I agree it beats sitting on the hot asphalt in the sun! It only took two months and over a dozen rejections to finally find a venue!

We have a great turnout of cars coming this year, but there will be enough space for everyone! Hope to see you up there with your Imperial Jon!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)