The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Steering challenges...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

Beltran
Posted 2019-08-20 9:02 PM (#586307)
Subject: Steering challenges...

Expert

Need some thoughts from you all on what could be going on with my 55 Chrysler.

I had the car aligned a few years ago.  At the time, they couldn't adjust the Camber properly becuase they were unable to turn the cam on the upper joint.  Actually I think they just didn't want to take the tire off to do it.. but that is a distraction. 

So I drive the car for a few years now and it always screeches the tires when turning left.  But not when turning right.  

I was under the car this week and noticed that the left tire is wearing unevenly.  It is more worn on the inboard side of the tire.  Clearly this Camber adjustment wasn't as small as I was told.  So I adjusted the camber myself with a bubble level and the tire off.  

I also rotated the tire to the back passenger side.  So now I have even wear on both front tires with Camber set like it should be.   

But I still have that tire squeel when turning left.  In fact I think its a little louder.  This could be because of the tire change but not sure.  

does anyone have any ideas as to why this could be happening.  I cannot see any wear in the joints of the suspension and everything 'seems' to be tight and without any significant play.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page
57burb
Posted 2019-08-21 11:31 AM (#586335 - in reply to #586307)
Subject: RE: Steering challenges...

Expert

In my experience, very little tire wear is actually caused by camber problems.

It is almost always due to excessive toe-in or toe-out, causing a tire to be "dragged" (drug?) down the road. Even a minor misalignment can result in bad tire wear.

The tire will screech a bit whenever the weight on that tire is unloaded, so I suspect you may see an issue on the driver's side. If you have corrected the camber yourself, you might take it back to have them adjust the toe.
normsclassicradio
Posted 2019-08-21 5:11 PM (#586347 - in reply to #586335)
Subject: RE: Steering challenges...

Veteran

57burb - 2019-08-21 9:31 AM

In my experience, very little tire wear is actually caused by camber problems.

It is almost always due to excessive toe-in or toe-out, causing a tire to be "dragged" (drug?) down the road. Even a minor misalignment can result in bad tire wear.

The tire will screech a bit whenever the weight on that tire is unloaded, so I suspect you may see an issue on the driver's side. If you have corrected the camber yourself, you might take it back to have them adjust the toe.

Yes making changes to camber will affect the toe adjustment. That is always the last adjustment when doing an alignment. Squealing on turning is a fault of tow-out on turns spec. Possibly a bent steering arm, or maybe a change in the center link parallel when at the end of the steering linkage travel. Maybe incorrect idler arm?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)