The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wheel Stud Installation
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

NC Adventurer
Posted 2019-11-24 1:56 PM (#590670)
Subject: Wheel Stud Installation

Veteran

I can remember some years ago (early '80s) replacing two of the left front wheel studs on my '65 Barracuda because some idiot doing a PA state inspection didn't understand the reverse threads on that side of the car. I don't recall doing anything but punching out the old (broken) studs and pressing in new ones I obtained at the local auto parts store (they actually had he reverse thread studs in stock).

I saw a comment somewhere in which someone noted having to swage the new studs to keep them in the drums and prevent them from backing out. I never had an issue not doing that but am open to hearing the logic in favor of it.

As I prepare to install four new drums with all new studs, I'd like to do things as safely and sensibly as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
57chizler
Posted 2019-11-24 4:57 PM (#590685 - in reply to #590670)
Subject: RE: Wheel Stud Installation

Expert

From my experience, it depends on how tightly the center hole in the drum fits the hub. If the drum fits the hub with no lateral movement, you can get away without swaging the studs but if there is any slop in the fit, the studs must be swaged and the drums turned (yes, even when new).

IOW, with a loose fit, the drum will seat in a different place each time its removed/reinstalled and will be out-of-round.
NC Adventurer
Posted 2019-11-26 3:26 PM (#590798 - in reply to #590670)
Subject: Re: Wheel Stud Installation

Veteran

Hey Chizler,

Thanks for the advice. I have been - knock on wood - very fortunate in what I've done so far. Craig from Mobile parts has provided some great quality parts and everything has come apart and gone together pretty smoothly. The Adventurer on has 56,XXX on her, so nothing's beat to heck - thankfully. I checked the new drums and I believe I'll be able to simply press in the new studs and keep moving.

Will keep you apprised on the progress. Hopefully the long weekend will be a productive on for working on her.

Wishing you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)