The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Steering and Suspension Upgrades?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format

no_jive55
Posted 2019-12-10 7:58 AM (#591383)
Subject: Steering and Suspension Upgrades?

I'm restoring a 1960 Plymouth station wagon and I am to the point where I am deciding on how I want the front end to be set up. Keep in mind that I am a college student working part time so i'm trying to be as financially resourceful  as I can be. 
First, I would like to convert to power steering. I have looked into the YouTurn1 kit which is about $950 and have heard good reviews on the product.
Second, I would like to transfer from drums to disc brakes in the front. I  have found about 3 different conversion kits (scarcebird, AAJ brakes, and classic disc brakes) all ranging in the $850- $900 range.
With all that being said a fellow mechanic suggested to me that I install a mustang II front end instead. He says that a Mustang II front end is a lot cheaper to build and maintain, and they supply a much better ride in terms of suspension and steering. I am a little hesitant of this idea. Mostly because I have never been able to drive my Plymouth to really tell if it rides well or not, and I have never driven a car with a Mustang II front end underneath it so I have no way to make a comparison. I would like to keep the car as original as possible but I also want the car to drive good as possible. I hope some of you guys could give me some thoughts/ input/ ideas on what is best, what you have done in the past or input on how a 1960 Plymouth really rides, also what are my best options to try and stay on a budget. Input would be greatly appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wizard
Posted 2019-12-10 8:18 AM (#591384 - in reply to #591383)
Subject: Re: Steering and Suspension Upgrades?

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Actually, what you need to do is to restore the suspension you have. You'll be amazed by the handling of those cars when they work like supposed to.
As for power steering, I would get the pump and steering gear from for example John Fowlie (Big M here on the forum). He will know exactly which parts you need.

As for disc brakes, there are several threads here on the forum, just search and read.
wizard
Posted 2019-12-10 8:51 AM (#591386 - in reply to #591383)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

As for further improve the handling, I'm sure our Sid will give you some valuable advices.

Forget the Frrd suspension as it will just be a can of worms and lower the value of the car.

Mustang discs are developed for a car with lesser total weight.....
1960fury
Posted 2019-12-10 12:29 PM (#591398 - in reply to #591383)
Subject: RE: Steering and Suspension Upgrades?

Expert 5K+

no_jive55 - 2019-12-10 7:58 AM

With all that being said a fellow mechanic suggested to me that I install a mustang II front end instead. He says that a Mustang II front end is a lot cheaper to build and maintain, and they supply a much better ride in terms of suspension and steering.

First of all and most importantly, say goodbye to that "mechanic" and never let him touch your car, listen, NEVER. This is from someone who restores, modifies, races and (almost) daily drives 60/61 Mopars for over 31 years.
mikes2nd
Posted 2019-12-10 1:41 PM (#591403 - in reply to #591383)

Expert 5K+

Go look at my suspension rebuild thread. These suspensions aren't that expensive to build.

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=65559&...

scarebird setup should only be 400$. I got my parts off rockauto for the kit.

yeah horrible idea to use a mustang 2 suspension... wow what an utter sh*t idea...

fords were notorious for horrible suspensions and soft horrible body roll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrKAVfS3Ui0

1960fury
Posted 2019-12-10 1:59 PM (#591405 - in reply to #591383)

Expert 5K+

They are EXCELLENT and aren't expensive to rebuild and its done in a day for another 30-50 years. The thought that you can clip the front end with an aftermarket kit, making it illegal for public roads, lowering the cars value, with all the other problems (inner fenders,etc that I have never seen done professionally), to spend weeks of fabrication, that will never look right, spend thousands of dollars, just because it is $20 cheaper (??? it is probably more expensive and troublesome to rebuild that Mustang kit) in XX years, or never again in your lifetime, is absurd.
57plymouth
Posted 2019-12-11 3:31 PM (#591457 - in reply to #591383)

Expert

I don't have power steering, and don't think it's needed for daily driving in the city. You said you haven't driven the car yet, so why do you want to change the front suspension? This is basically the same front suspension Chrysler used in some form from 1957 to the late 1980's. Torsion bars and 2 control arms are a proven setup. The manual steering on these cars is not heavy if you keep the original size steering wheel.

Drive it before you modify.

As to disc brakes, Scarebird is the cheapest setup if you buy the parts individually. But you can't go wrong with Scarebird or AAJ.
no_jive55
Posted 2019-12-17 6:40 PM (#591761 - in reply to #591383)

Thanks everyone for input, DEFINITELY NOT doing the mustang II front end. I decided to go with the Scarcebird Disc Brakes, my conversion kit should be here in the next few weeks. The total for the conversion is going to be around $520 (for the Scarcebird adapter plates plus the rotors, calipers, etc.).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)