The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1956 windsor break upgrade
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

Twotallkris34
Posted 2020-01-13 1:59 PM (#592867)
Subject: 1956 windsor break upgrade

Hello All,

I just inherited a 56 windsor the common complaint with this car is the breaks hanging up. I know everyone will say keep it orginal but I would like my wife and other family to drive it so I would like it safe. I was thinking of replacing all the break lines and upgrading to disc breaks in the front and putting a dual channeled master cylindar. I will keep the orginal drums in the back. This car has some old school power brake system in it. If any one can shed any light on this like disc kits that have worked well for them or masters that will fit the windsor it would be appreciated . Also or anyone can tell who manufactured the power break system that would be appreciated. ( I will add some pictures later)

Thanks

(WIndsor.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments WIndsor.jpg (131KB - 211 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Powerflite
Posted 2020-01-13 2:43 PM (#592869 - in reply to #592867)
Subject: Re: 1956 windsor break upgrade

Expert 5K+

Get the disc brake kit from AAJ. He may have 2 versions, one smaller for original wheels and one bigger for disc brake wheels. You can get your brake booster rebuilt by Booster Dewey. I like to use a remote dual master from a Mitsubishi truck with a remote reservoir, but a '67-'72 short top dual master also works.
ronbo97
Posted 2020-01-13 8:01 PM (#592885 - in reply to #592869)

Expert

The power brake booster that you have was sold and made available by Chrysler dealerships as 'add on' power brakes. If your brakes keep 'hanging up', then you need to diagnose the problem. Likely culprits are old brake hoses or weak return springs. If you choose to go with a disk setup for the front, then AAJ or Scarebird are good choices. You will need to rebuild the rear brakes no matter what. If you've never worked with Chrysler brakes, there is a special puller needed to remove the drum/hub assembly. It's called a tapered axle puller. Google it or find one on ebay. It is the ONLY WAY to remove the rear drums.

Ron

Twotallkris34
Posted 2020-01-14 7:34 AM (#592907 - in reply to #592867)

Thanks Guys, I will check out those companies and no i have never worked on old Chrysler's before i will be sure to get that tool before i try to tear into the rear breaks Thank you !
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)