The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Modified Push Button Shifter to A518
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

BlueGhost
Posted 2020-01-15 6:51 PM (#593004)
Subject: Modified Push Button Shifter to A518

Regular

I currently have a 727 with a floor shifter installed by a previous owner. I'd like to switch over to push buttons and an a518. I have a couple of push button shifters I've picked up at swap meets, and I think someone is now making a replacement for the Imperial Services conversion cable.

I was wondering if the guts of the shifter could be switched out to give me park, reverse, neutral, drive, low. I realize I'd have to create new "plates" for the shifter guts. I have one shifter from a newer model, that actually has the plates in a different order, so I may be able to mix and match some.

I'd like to end up with the buttons arranged like:
P R N
D L

Anyone think this is feasible?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
jboymechanic
Posted 2020-01-15 8:01 PM (#593006 - in reply to #593004)
Subject: Re: Modified Push Button Shifter to A518

Expert

A and A transmission now makes a cable, but you can't use the Park position as you only have 5 push buttons. The Park position detent in the trans is also farther apart from R than the other 5 positions are to each other. If they were evenly spaced, you could use P R N D 2 and just lose 1.

http://www.aandatrans.com/Products/Push-Button-Conversion-Cable-Set...

Edited by jboymechanic 2020-01-15 8:02 PM
BlueGhost
Posted 2020-01-15 10:39 PM (#593010 - in reply to #593004)

Regular

Thanks for the link.

What I was thinking about is replacing the mechanical guts of the shifter. For R N D and 1 I could use the originals for a pattern, but modifying their position inside the shifter. Then cutting a new piece that replaces the R position with the correct throw to engage park.

I'm guessing the best way to do this would be to find someone with a cnc water jet and have them do it.
Powerflite
Posted 2020-01-15 10:53 PM (#593012 - in reply to #593004)

Expert 5K+

Wow, the price of that kit is a total ripoff. You could purchase a push-pull cable with the proper ends on it for much, much less than that and just make up your own brackets. The Imperial Services kit was less than half that amount when I bought it. But if you can get the cable to throw the right amount, and you reduce the tension of the spring detent, your idea should work. You'll have to re-label all the buttons, of course.
BlueGhost
Posted 2020-01-16 2:18 AM (#593016 - in reply to #593004)

Regular

I think that price is for the cable + shifter mod for later models.

Here is the one for 56-61 shifters, still a little much for a cable:
http://www.aandatrans.com/Products/Push-Button-Conversion-Cable-Set...
Old Ray
Posted 2020-01-16 11:25 AM (#593033 - in reply to #593004)
Subject: RE: Modified Push Button Shifter to A518

Extreme Veteran

I am a hesitant to comment because I think it's not relevant, but information is found in many places. There was a post on a site (bookmarked) that a guy (57-58) had replaced (with a kit) the mechanism with micro-relay servos, this was for a newer electronic type trans (NAG-1 ? ) so is not the same but at least interesting, if not useable. IF you would like the link I will find it.

jboymechanic
Posted 2020-01-16 4:57 PM (#593048 - in reply to #593004)

Expert

If you had the cable kit from A and A (or Imperial Services), you'd be able to hook up your existing buttons to the newer trans. You could, in theory, do the following:

Existing R button becomes P **you would need to modify your button mechanism to provide the extra throw to get into Park since the distance between the P and R detents on the trans control valve in greater**
Existing N button becomes R
Existing D button becomes N
Existing 2 button becomes D
Existing 1 button becomes 2

You wouldn't be able to use 1, but how often do you need to use 1? I'd rather have Park.
BlueGhost
Posted 2020-01-16 4:59 PM (#593049 - in reply to #593004)

Regular

Old Ray, I don't think I've seen the post you are referring too. It's all food for thought, I'm just bench racing at this point. I may end up with a GM trans all said and done. Just because they already come with a detachable bell housing and are easier to find.

I have seen a few aftermarket push button shifters that would be made to work. Some use a motor driven cable and some use an actuator attached to the trans. I think most have the option to hook up to your own buttons, I'd just need modify the original shifter to us switches.

I do like the idea of keeping it mechanical and mostly Mopar though.
Old Ray
Posted 2020-01-16 6:09 PM (#593054 - in reply to #593004)

Extreme Veteran

Well how do like that, it looks like the original poster has deleted some of his pictures, he is still posting and you could contact him. This is the post that had the info;

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2238209/4...

I did manage to save one picture (actually posted on this site).

(micro switchs nag1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments micro switchs nag1.jpg (41KB - 250 downloads)
BlueGhost
Posted 2020-01-17 1:21 AM (#593075 - in reply to #593048)

Regular

jboymechanic - 2020-01-16 3:57 PM

If you had the cable kit from A and A (or Imperial Services), you'd be able to hook up your existing buttons to the newer trans. You could, in theory, do the following:

Existing R button becomes P **you would need to modify your button mechanism to provide the extra throw to get into Park since the distance between the P and R detents on the trans control valve in greater**
Existing N button becomes R
Existing D button becomes N
Existing 2 button becomes D
Existing 1 button becomes 2

You wouldn't be able to use 1, but how often do you need to use 1? I'd rather have Park.

This is what I was thinking about doing. I don't know which would be more useful, 1 or 2, probably comes down to which ever is likely to still move the car if the transmission starts slipping.
BlueGhost
Posted 2020-01-17 1:26 AM (#593076 - in reply to #593054)

Regular

Old Ray - 2020-01-16 5:09 PM

Well how do like that, it looks like the original poster has deleted some of his pictures, he is still posting and you could contact him. This is the post that had the info;

Thanks for the link, and picture. I know I had seen some switches attached to the push button shifter somewhere on here before but couldn't find them.

I could possibly do something similar and use it to drive a linear actuator with an arduino.
bbdakota
Posted 2020-01-17 9:59 AM (#593087 - in reply to #593054)

Veteran

Old Ray - 2020-01-16 5:09 PM

I'm the guilty party. I saw this topic but didn't think I could add value due to my situation using a NAG1.

I deleted the information due to the company that helped me seemed to be concerned over liability since my shifter bypasses safety features such as a lockout to prevent shifting into reverse while crusin or not having to hold the brake while shifting. Anyway, I was able to put micro switches behind the factory shifter. "L" will now be park

Edited by bbdakota 2020-01-17 10:02 AM
Old Ray
Posted 2020-01-17 10:35 AM (#593088 - in reply to #593076)

Extreme Veteran

BlueGhost - 2020-01-16 11:26 PM I could possibly do something similar and use it to drive a linear actuator with an arduino.

Yes, I like that idea, not that I could or would do it. But nice that we got this kind of clarified ?

Can I bore you with some unrelated self indulgent egotistical facebook behaviour; on my dark side '56 two door wagon (was 3 speed standard car) with a FI 318 engine and auto trans from '92 Dakota with seats from a Mark viii I used the Lincoln console and floor shifter, I THINK it's going to work ! 

Old Ray
Posted 2020-01-17 10:48 AM (#593089 - in reply to #593087)

Extreme Veteran

bbdakota - 2020-01-17 7:59 AM I'm the guilty party. I saw this topic but didn't think I could add value due to my situation using a NAG1.

Hi, thanks for the reply and the clarification, great information, I was interested and impressed with your original modification posts. Having owned a '56 push button car in the
sixties that had the buttons wrong and the large number of posts on this site to do with the push button shifter it is nice to see thinking outside of the box (aka cable) and you would think that Edsel would have know better !

Thanks again.

BlueGhost
Posted 2020-01-17 11:05 AM (#593091 - in reply to #593088)

Regular

Old Ray - 2020-01-17 9:35 AM

Can I bore you with some unrelated self indulgent egotistical facebook behaviour; on my dark side '56 two door wagon (was 3 speed standard car) with a FI 318 engine and auto trans from '92 Dakota with seats from a Mark viii I used the Lincoln console and floor shifter, I THINK it's going to work ! 

That doesn't sound too far off from what I'm trying to do with my 58 wagon. Planning to rebuild the 440 that's in it now, and put some form of fuel injection on it. On one hand I like the simple all in one throttle body set ups Holley has out now. On the other, I'd love to turn one of the Offy dual quad intakes into a multi-port set up with 2 318 2 barrel throttle bodies. It would be my take on a modern version of the electrojector set up, I could top it off with oval air cleaners.

What ever I do will be backed by on overdrive, either a 518 to keep it Mopar, or some 4l60e or 4l80e variant.

For seats, I picked up a swivel seat from a 59 Dodge.
BlueGhost
Posted 2020-01-17 11:14 AM (#593096 - in reply to #593087)

Regular

bbdakota - 2020-01-17 8:59 AM
I'm the guilty party. I saw this topic but didn't think I could add value due to my situation using a NAG1.

I deleted the information due to the company that helped me seemed to be concerned over liability since my shifter bypasses safety features such as a lockout to prevent shifting into reverse while crusin or not having to hold the brake while shifting. Anyway, I was able to put micro switches behind the factory shifter. "L" will now be park

If I do go with one of the better EFI set ups, I could add some safety lockouts. I could even go the the poweflite shifter for P-R-N-D and use a rocker switch somewhere to shift into 2nd or 1st.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)