The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Roof Rail Weatherstrip Installation - 1958 Plymouth 2-Door Hardtop
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

Skelly1958
Posted 2020-01-16 12:36 PM (#593037)
Subject: Roof Rail Weatherstrip Installation - 1958 Plymouth 2-Door Hardtop

Regular

I just received the roof rail weatherstrip kit from Quirey Quality along with the special end pieces. I searched the forums and found a few conversations about the installation but would like to clarify a few things with those who have been through this process.

I think it’s necessary to remove the trim above the weatherstrip by removing the screws you can see through the holes in the old weatherstrip. One poster mentioned the weatherstrip slides into a channel in the metal and to use like a baby powder to lubricate the rubber. Is any weatherstrip adhesive necessary or does the channel hold it completely in place?

For the seam where the quarter window weatherstrip meets the door window weatherstrip, what has anyone found that works best to bond the two - contact cement, weatherstrip adhesive, or some other product?

It sounds like it could be a little tricky getting the windows in the right place after this installation so the new weatherstrip doesn’t hold the windows out on the first lip of the seal. I’ve been reading the Chrysler Service Reference book #117 “Hardtop Adjustments – Windows And Locks” about how to set the windows to work with the seals and read some posts where owners had to trim some of the outermost lip to allow the windows to settle all the way into the seal.

Am I missing anything else that could make this installation go smoothly? Any additional pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cmangeot
Posted 2020-03-27 8:27 PM (#596128 - in reply to #593037)
Subject: Re: Roof Rail Weatherstrip Installation - 1958 Plymouth 2-Door Hardtop

Extreme Veteran

Any other word on this install? I’m doing a 58 too and will have my Quirey order before long.
kcasey
Posted 2020-03-30 12:23 AM (#596220 - in reply to #593037)
Subject: Re: Roof Rail Weatherstrip Installation - 1958 Plymouth 2-Door Hardtop

Veteran

it has been a while since I did mine but it was not real hard. you are correct about removing the screws and then the whole assembly will come off. after that the old weatherstrip just slides out. clean the track with a wire brush and slide the new weatherstrip in. no glue needed. I did lube mine with soapy water in a spray bottle. I did not glue the two parts together in the middle and it worked fine. however I really did not like the way the quarter glass rolled into the new strip so I took it back out and reused my original rear section as it was still in good shape. I liked the way the glass fit into it better but the new one would have worked if it had too. the front part worked great, no adjustment needed. hope this helps.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)