The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1955 Belvedere Sport Coupe
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

55PLBVSP
Posted 2020-01-17 9:58 PM (#593123)
Subject: 1955 Belvedere Sport Coupe

I have a 55 Belvedere Sport Coupe with the 259 V8. This car is a 3 speed manual W/OD. When I purchased the car it had what I was told was a early 50's Buick 4 BBL carburetor on an aluminum Edelbrock intake. There was a hand made bracket that held the kickdown switch for the OD, and a rod was put on the carburetor linkage to contact the switch. This car is a fairly low mile car that was well taken care of. I want to put the carburetor and OD arrangement back to original. I have a 55 Plymouth Service Manual that shows the original Carter BBD 2 BBL to be a 2260S for OD. The 4 BBL shows to be a Carter 2253S. I see the OD mentioned with a picture on the 2 BBL, but I see nothing on the 4 BBL. Did both 2 BBL and 4 BBL engines have OD? I have the original IBM card from Chrysler Historical, and it indicates the car being a V8, but no further designation as to 2 BBL or 4 BBL as decoded by Chrysler. It is a 259 as the stamped number indicates behind the water pump. Is there any way to know for sure if this was a 2 BBL or 4 BBL originally? I have the OD switch, but am thinking the original carburetor maybe had a different middle or center piece on the carburetor to accommodate the OD linkage and switch. I am looking for both proper carburetors for this arrangement if anyone has these. This car has dual exhaust which anyone could have added, but when I was under the car I noticed that one side has heat shields above the muffler and the other does not. Does anyone have a car with this arrangement that could post pictures of how it looks on the car? I have an original 2 BBL air cleaner, but not a 4 BBL. Any information and carburetors and a 4 BBL air cleaner would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2020-01-17 11:28 PM (#593126 - in reply to #593123)
Subject: RE: 1955 Belvedere Sport Coupe

Expert 5K+

On the dual exhaust and heat shield thing, my 56 Dodge V8 had duals from the factory. There is only one heat shield, on the passenger side.

Your 55 Plymouth might have had the Power Pack. There could be a code for that on the IBM card. In 1956, the Plymouth Power Pack code was 387.

Your 2253S carb number looks good.

See below.

Edited by 56D500boy 2020-01-18 2:11 AM

(56PlymouthOrderCodes_medium.jpg)

(55PlymouthCarburetorNumbers.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 56PlymouthOrderCodes_medium.jpg (249KB - 156 downloads)
Attachments 55PlymouthCarburetorNumbers.jpg (161KB - 153 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)