The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

One attempt at figuring out the eBrake Adjustment Direction
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2020-01-29 11:08 PM (#593589)
Subject: One attempt at figuring out the eBrake Adjustment Direction

Expert 5K+

Hopefully this applies to those 55-61 FLs with the internal eBrake (drum) on the end of the automatic (Powerflite or Torqueflite) transmission.

When I got my 56 Dodge back from the transmission shop (after having an A-466 cast iron TorqueFlite installed), I was not happy with the eBrake adjustment (I'm not sure that they even tried). It was too loose.

Yesterday, while driving around, running errands in the Dodge and parking to go into a shop(s), it got down right dangerous so I decided to remedy the situation today. I consulted my 56 Dodge factory service manual (FSM) but it was not helpful regarding which way to turn the adjustment wheel to decrease the clearance between the shoes and the drum. The FSM wanted me to drop the drive shaft so I could better feel the impact of moving the adjustment wheel. I decided to find another way.

Fortunately, I had the old eBrake from the PowerFlite that had been removed. That allowed me to investigate the adjustment (and take appropriate photos)

What I found out was the threads on the adjuster are normal RH threads (righty tighty, lefty loosey). I also figured out that there could be two configurations (which I have called 1 and 2). In terms of tightening the eBrake (decreasing clearance between the eBrake shoes and the eBrake drum), the general statement is turn the adjuster so it moves towards the bigger "bullet" end of the adjuster. Loosening is the opposite (Duh )

What this looks like in reality is as shown below. Hope this helps somebody.

Edited by 56D500boy 2020-01-29 11:14 PM

(Typical55-61EBrakeConfigurationShowingCableTubeAndAdjustmentAccessPanel.jpg)

(Typical55-61EBrakeConfigurationShowingCableTubeAndAdjustmentAccessPanel_PanelLoosened.jpg)

(Typical55-61EBrakeConfigurationShowingCableTubeAndAdjustmentAccessPanel_PanelRemoved_Adjuster_Configuration1.jpg)

(Typical55-61EBrakeConfigurationShowingCableTubeAndAdjustmentAccessPanel_PanelRemoved_Adjuster_Configuration2.jpg)

(Typical55-61EBrakeConfigurationShowingCableTubeAndAdjustmentAccessPanel_PanelRemoved_Adjuster_Configuration1_Directions.jpg)

(Typical55-61EBrakeConfigurationShowingCableTubeAndAdjustmentAccessPanel_PanelRemoved_Adjuster_Configuration2_Directions.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Typical55-61EBrakeConfigurationShowingCableTubeAndAdjustmentAccessPanel.jpg (129KB - 270 downloads)
Attachments Typical55-61EBrakeConfigurationShowingCableTubeAndAdjustmentAccessPanel_PanelLoosened.jpg (161KB - 276 downloads)
Attachments Typical55-61EBrakeConfigurationShowingCableTubeAndAdjustmentAccessPanel_PanelRemoved_Adjuster_Configuration1.jpg (137KB - 279 downloads)
Attachments Typical55-61EBrakeConfigurationShowingCableTubeAndAdjustmentAccessPanel_PanelRemoved_Adjuster_Configuration2.jpg (160KB - 279 downloads)
Attachments Typical55-61EBrakeConfigurationShowingCableTubeAndAdjustmentAccessPanel_PanelRemoved_Adjuster_Configuration1_Directions.jpg (168KB - 282 downloads)
Attachments Typical55-61EBrakeConfigurationShowingCableTubeAndAdjustmentAccessPanel_PanelRemoved_Adjuster_Configuration2_Directions.jpg (168KB - 279 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wizard
Posted 2020-01-30 4:52 PM (#593624 - in reply to #593589)
Subject: Re: One attempt at figuring out the eBrake Adjustment Direction

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Thanks' for your good advices and photos Dave!

The reason for that the fsm tells us to remove the eBrake drum is that the notches in the adjuster is too steep.
That means that when you want to adjust the last "click", it won't be possible with the drum mounted because the brake shoes wants to go out more than the drum allows - when the final adjustment is done, the brake shoes goes back a Little.

So, the proper (puh) proceedure is to pull the drive shaft and the eBrake drum, adjust the brake shoes until the drum just slides on and then measure the free space with a feeler gauge through the adjusting openeing, in the roundish opening to the left in the dust shield.

The space (as I remember) is given in total, so you divide it in two.

The problem is that the roundish opening is not big enough for to enter with a feeler gauge without bending it with a false reading as result.

I have filed up this opening for to allow a feeler gauge to enter.

Check this on your PowerFlite eBrake and it will be totally clear.

If you do this "the fsm" way, the eBrake will be responsive and still have the needed air gap between the drum and the brake shoes.
56D500boy
Posted 2020-01-30 7:31 PM (#593636 - in reply to #593624)

Expert 5K+

Thanks for the info Sven. I did it my way yesterday

First thing was I jacked the car (on the frame about a foot forwards of the rear wheel well) high enough so the left rear wheel was off the ground. Put two jack stands under the frame (and kept the jack in place).

I got under the car and removed that inspection plate (7/16" bolts). With the transmission in neutral and the eBrake off, I turned the drive shaft by hand (by grabbing the front ball and trunion universal) so I could get a feel for how tight (loose) the brake was. Then knowing the correct direction to turn the adjuster for my situation, I turned it several notches using a small pry bar in the slots , checking for tightness between the drum and the shoes every few notches or so (by turning the drive shaft a bit by hand). Eventually, I thought that I had it nice and tight.

Then I got out from under the car and pulled on the eBrake handle. Wow. What a difference, *very* tight. I decided that it was too tight so I got under the car and backed off on the adjustment a few notches. Then I checked the eBrake again. Better. Tight but not too tight. I released the handle and checked how easy it was to turn the left rear wheel (pretty easy). I decided to try it as is (but it was too dark and wet so I waited until today).

Today, I took the car out for a little spin and ran a few errands. As I went, I checked the eBrake. Coasting in neutral there didn't seem to be any eBrake drag. When I pulled on the eBrake, I could stop the car dead. Release the eBrake and off we go again. When parking, there was no sense that the car was going to roll away like it did the other day (I had to put a block under a tire).

So yes, there is an official way. And there is an unofficial way. Both work.

I think.

ronbo97
Posted 2020-01-30 9:19 PM (#593640 - in reply to #593636)

Expert

Adjuster Configuration 1 is not correct. AC 2 is correct. The star wheel adjuster will only be accessible through the window if it is set up as shown in AC 2.

I did mine with the drive shaft off (55 Desoto). Using a spanner wrench, I'd click it tighter a couple of notches. Then check it by pulling the hand brake handle. Book says four to six clicks is where you want to be. So when I was in the ball park, I quit. Works great now.

Ron

56D500boy
Posted 2020-01-31 9:11 PM (#593683 - in reply to #593640)

Expert 5K+

ronbo97 - 2020-01-30 6:19 PM

Adjuster Configuration 1 is not correct. AC 2 is correct. The star wheel adjuster will only be accessible through the window if it is set up as shown in AC 2. / Ron

Wasn't going to argue 1 vs 2. I have 2 so you must be right. Before I buttoned it back up this afternoon, I decided to back off a couple of clicks. When I checked the handbrake, it was a bit too loose, so tomorrow I will add one click back (car is still jacked and jack-standed so 5 minutes tomorrow).

My situation A-466 Torqueflite:

(EBrakeOnTorqueFliteOn56Dodge_Annotated.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments EBrakeOnTorqueFliteOn56Dodge_Annotated.jpg (249KB - 282 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)