The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thinking ahead: Removal and Installation of 56 Dodge Mirror bases
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2020-02-23 9:25 PM (#594741)
Subject: Thinking ahead: Removal and Installation of 56 Dodge Mirror bases

Expert 5K+

I took a couple things to my local plater the other day and he noticed how pitted my 56 Dodge Fender Mirror bases are. I couldn't disagree. The left side is bad. The right side is bad but better than the left side. He gave me a price and I told him that I might be interested *IF* I could figure out how to remove them.

Just now I consulted some of the photos that I have collected and I can see a threaded stud near the top of the base and one near the edge of the fender, at the door. I also see something (a guide pin??) in about the middle.

I have now established that I can feel but not see the one at the top when the hood is open. I will call that one "1".

I can also touch and see the one at the lower end of the base, at the edge of the fender. I think that I could get that one off (after spraying and soaking with MOOVIT for a while). I will call that one "3"

So far I can not see or feel the one in the middle that I will call "2".

My questions are:

1. How do I get at the nut that is on "1"?

2. Is "2" real and is there a nut or something on it? IF so, how do I get at it?

Just thinking ahead to the next projects.

(AND NO, I am not removing the fender to get the mirror base off).

(56DodgeLeftSideMirrorBase_OnCar.jpg)

(56DodgeFenderMirrorBase_RightSide_Bottom.jpg)

(56DodgeFenderMirror_RightSide_HolesInFender.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 56DodgeLeftSideMirrorBase_OnCar.jpg (77KB - 8 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeFenderMirrorBase_RightSide_Bottom.jpg (197KB - 10 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeFenderMirror_RightSide_HolesInFender.jpg (210KB - 9 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Steve1956
Posted 2020-02-23 11:24 PM (#594743 - in reply to #594741)
Subject: RE: Thinking ahead: Removal and Installation of 56 Dodge Mirror bases

Both of the fender diecast trim strips were already off my car when I acquired it. The fenders had not been removed as far as I could tell, but it may be that taking out the bolts down the side of the fender on the A pillar, and the first two bolts along the fender from the door may allow enough movement to get a spanner on to it ? Just guessing now. Unable to offer better advice as to how difficult they are to get to as my fenders are now off the car and stripped for repair.

I can assure you No2 is just a guide pin, at least that is all they are on mine. No thread at all. just like an elongated rivet is how I would describe it.

Steve
56D500boy
Posted 2020-03-18 4:10 PM (#595724 - in reply to #594743)
Subject: RE: Thinking ahead: Removal and Installation of 56 Dodge Mirror bases

Expert 5K+

Steve1956 - 2020-02-23 8:24 PM
I can assure you No2 is just a guide pin, at least that is all they are on mine. No thread at all. just like an elongated rivet is how I would describe it. Steve

Thanks Steve.

Found some more photos of the 56 Dodge mirror base. Looks like they used the same base mould for both the mirror and non-mirror "bases". I see the "2" pin quite clearly now.

(s-l1600_4.jpg)

(s-l1600_5.jpg)

(s-l1600_6.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments s-l1600_4.jpg (209KB - 5 downloads)
Attachments s-l1600_5.jpg (247KB - 5 downloads)
Attachments s-l1600_6.jpg (197KB - 5 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)