The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1959 Chrysler Windsor 300X brochure
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Swap Meet -> For Sale - LITERATURE and COLLECTIBLESMessage format

RamPhoenix
Posted 2020-02-26 2:25 PM (#594860)
Subject: 1959 Chrysler Windsor 300X brochure

Veteran

I know that Chrysler was thinking about producing a lower cost 300 model in 1959 based on the Windsor chassis called the 300X. Management changed their mind and the 300X was never produced. The project got far enough along that 300X brochures were printed, but they were supposedly destroyed when the project was abandoned.
I have to believe that some of those brochures survived, and I would love to see any information about this “never was” model that might be out there.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
60 Imp
Posted 2020-03-02 5:46 AM (#595065 - in reply to #594860)
Subject: RE: 1959 Chrysler Windsor 300X brochure

what is this malakas? Is this real?

Steve.
RamPhoenix
Posted 2020-03-03 10:43 AM (#595126 - in reply to #595065)
Subject: RE: 1959 Chrysler Windsor 300X brochure

Veteran

This is from Allpar.com

Inside Chrysler: 300X and 300; personal stories

by Curtis Redgap

I cannot make any claim to accuracy for the materials that I have used to make these articles. In some cases, the journals go back 50 years. — Curtis Redgap

The Chrysler 300x: watering down the top Chrysler
Then, on top of all else, Dad picked up a rumor that there was some sort of plan to introduce a "watered down" version of the Chrysler 300 in the spring, either March or April to coincide with the usual upsurge of sales when warm weather arrived. Supposedly it would consist of only a hardtop and a convertible built on the Windsor chassis with the small wheelbase of 122 inches. It was to be equipped with upgraded interior, special identifying trim packages, and a high performance version of the new RB 383 c.i. "Golden Lion" Chrysler V-8. He hit the roof. “Here we are not being able to sell the real thing, and some knothead over in marketing wants to swamp us with a weak-kneed cousin that you probably couldn't give away!”

He spent the next two weeks practically living on the telephone to nail down this “300-X” project. When he did confirm that plans were in the works for just such a car, he mustered his dealership forces, along with the heavy hitters in stock holdings, and got the idea and the car nixed.

Funny thing, though. About the time of the January introduction of the 300E, we got a bunch of phamplets describing the 300-X. It set Dad off all over again, until we discovered that it had all been a mistake. The things we got were supposed to have been burned. We should have received the new Chrysler 300E brochures, but, guess what... they went to the incinerator!

Still, there were some people that wanted that car, and wanted it badly. When they figured out who was truly responsible for its demise, a sort of state of war occured. They kept right on beating that drum which resulted in the decision, shortly afterwards, to introduce the Chrysler 300 (no letter) in 1962.
NicksGarage
Posted 2020-03-03 1:51 PM (#595136 - in reply to #594860)
Subject: Re: 1959 Chrysler Windsor 300X brochure

Expert

I agree that there have to be some of these around somewhere. I can understand dealers on both sides of the issue. It can be hard to push a premium priced car when the junior one looks just like it. What would have really sucked is being a letter car owner and your neighbor coming home with a cheapy version. But it happens all the time with the car makers. Just think about DeSoto Adventurers being something special in 1959 and then just a regular model in 1960.
R41HP
Posted 2020-03-06 1:39 PM (#595312 - in reply to #594860)
Subject: Re: 1959 Chrysler Windsor 300X brochure

Veteran

I hadn't heard of this before, but interestingly, we recently ran a reprint of a magazine article about the "Chrysler 300X" - a concept/show car based on a 1966 Chrysler 300 convertible - in the Chrysler 300 Club International's News-Flite. It was a collaboration between Chrysler and General Tire, and built by Gene Winfield. The pages aren't marked, so I don't know the original source. It would have been done in or around 1966 based on other cars on the backs of the pages.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)