The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Refilling original wipers using Trico Classic refills as a sources for rubber
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

NicksGarage
Posted 2020-05-19 8:58 PM (#598512)
Subject: Refilling original wipers using Trico Classic refills as a sources for rubber

Expert

Both of my 1960 Chryslers needed new wiper blade refills. I found Trico Classic 16" refills on Rock Auto for $6.47 each plus tax and shipping. These are a traditional wiper blade that has a metal holder and a narrow wiper blade in a stainless strip holder. They come with a plastic adapter to mount them on the original arms but I wanted to keep my stainless blade holders. The pictures below are from my 300F which has Anco red button blades with two buttons on each blade. These are also removable from the arm by pulling down a lever under the tip of the arm. My wagon has two different blade holders but the process was basically the same.

First I removed the wiper refill from the new Trico blade and then pulled the rubber out of the strip holder. Basically you can just spread it apart and it comes right out.

Next I removed the wiper blade from the old holders and removed the rubber from the strip holder. Note that these holders have a connection in the middle so you can't spread it apart. You can just cut the rubber to get it off.

Since my strip holders had a divider in the middle, the rubber needed a notch cut in the middle of the top surface. You need to use a sharp razor knife to do this. Try to match the notch with the old rubber.

To feed the rubber into the strip holder, there are two openings. Start at the middle of the rubber at the hole closest to the end. Once it is started, you can start the other end in the hole in the middle. Carefully slide the rubber into the strip holder until it is fully inserted. You may need to pull the end at the first hole for it to seat fully.

Now you can put the refill back into the blade holder and then install on the wiper arm.

If your wiper arm only has one red button, disconnect that end and the refill will slide out of the other holder. Sometimes the buttons are missing but there will be a hole you can push something into to trigger the latch.

I find that the strip holders with the connection in the middle retain the rubber insert better than the ones that have a continuous slot.

(wipers.jpg)

(wipers2.jpg)

(wipers3.jpg)

(wipers4.jpg)

(wipers5.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments wipers.jpg (182KB - 247 downloads)
Attachments wipers2.jpg (159KB - 247 downloads)
Attachments wipers3.jpg (126KB - 249 downloads)
Attachments wipers4.jpg (121KB - 236 downloads)
Attachments wipers5.jpg (145KB - 244 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)