The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Smelling Fuel from Your FL?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

NC Adventurer
Posted 2020-05-21 3:31 PM (#598590)
Subject: Smelling Fuel from Your FL?

Veteran

Have you been smelling fuel from your FL and not finding any leaks?

Replaced your fuel tank or the sending unit lately and find that the smell arrived after the work was completed?

I noticed a small leak coming from the new fuel tank, specifically the sending unit I installed. This was the first time I had put enough fuel in the tank to reach that level. It was enough to fill the garage with a gas smell and, as we all know, that's dangerous enough in its own right. If you can smell fuel, its building up in enough quantity to ignite.

Crawling under the beast, I discovered that the round flat gasket under the sending unit was allowing gas to seep out just enough to form the leak and smell. I emptied the tank and removed it from the vehicle. The lock ring never seemed "tight enough" for my liking but I didn't invent the system. In hindsight, I should have gone with my gut feeling and tried to tighten it up a bit.

I contacted the great folks at Vans in Waupun, WI and explained the situation. Mike couldn't have been nicer and took the time to explain how to fix the issue. Out of fairness, I did purchase the tank from Vans but Mike didn't worry about that. He worried about helping me and giving me the best advice possible. Grade A customer service!

Mike explained that the easiest way to rectify the issue was to tighten the three mounting tabs into which the locking ring snaps and provides pressure on the ring and gasket. Mike recommended using a channel lock-type pliers and making slight adjustments until the desired tightness is achieved. He also suggested turning up the tabs on the locking ring itself a bit if more pressure is needed/desired.

I have provided an image to show where to put pressure on the tabs for anyone not familiar with the set-up. I hope this helps someone get rid of that smell that permeates the garage from your FL.

(FG-1-2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments FG-1-2.jpg (67KB - 205 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)